Leaping and placing marker

I just need to clarify some rules and I'm too lazy to try to search through everything for them. For leaps, including Archie's hulking leap, when you place the model within the set amount of inches, does the entire base need to be within? Or only part? 
Same thing with effects that place markers, like Seamus' Sebastian Baker 0 to place a marker within 12". Is that fully within the 12, or just partially?
I've just heard conflicting answers at this point and I'd rather just get it solved.

• Agree 1

Callout box on small rulebook page 40:

“Within”
When an Action States that an object must be within a distance, if any portion of that object’s base is at that distance or closer it is considered within the stated distance.

So if you're "placing" markers or models, you can often sneak in an extra inch or two by keeping just a hair's width of said model/marker within specified distance.

I don't know about Archie specifically but note that most Leaps are "moving" the model in question, in which case you just move it a set amount of inches and so can't sneak in any extra distance.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

So if you're "placing" markers or models, you can often sneak in an extra inch or two by keeping just a hair's width of said model/marker within specified distance.

I don't know about Archie specifically but note that most Leaps are "moving" the model in question, in which case you just move it a set amount of inches and so can't sneak in any extra distance.

Archie's Hulking Leap places him within 3in. But awesome. Good to know.

Archie's Hulking Leap and the Necropunk/Sillurid Family's Leap use totally different wording, annoyingly enough.  Archie gets to place, as you say, so he can do the edge trick and his leap effectively moves up 3 inches + 50mm.   The Necropunk's Leap gets to "Move up to it's Cg" so that one won't get to add base width.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

If you're splitting hairs, note that there's no "hairs width" requirement to be within the distance.  By the FAQ, the 'equal or less distance = within' applies to everything:

If two models are in base to base contact, and an Ability pushes one of them exactly 3" away, how much distance is considered to be in between the two models? Are they considered to be within 3" of each other?

As base to base contact is considered to be exactly 0" apart, the models would be exactly 3" apart a er the push and therefore still within 3" of each other. 

• Haha 1

So what about the Carrion Emissarys Shards of Kythera markers? That reads "Place 2 50mm Shard Markers touching each other in range and LoS"

The range is 6 so does that mean the markers have to be completely inside 6? Or can they both be partially inside 6?

1 minute ago, Athiko said:

So what about the Carrion Emissarys Shards of Kythera markers? That reads "Place 2 50mm Shard Markers touching each other in range and LoS"

The range is 6 so does that mean the markers have to be completely inside 6? Or can they both be partially inside 6?

Partially inside of 6.   Because the reason Nikodemus quoted above.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Athiko said:

"In range" is defined as follows:

"If the distance between the two bases is equal to or less than the Range of the Action, then it is within range, and the Action can take effect."

So having two points on the base exactly 6" apart is in range.

• Like 2