Advice (new player)

DcVenom

So I have been playing the game for around a month and have been to one event so am picking up the rules quite smoothly. After trialling a few masters I decided to pick up Sonnia as my first master. I know she isn’t the most competitive but aesthetics and play style are a big thing for me.

I currently have her box and have purchased some guild austringers, my question is what should I add next? I’ve got another tournament in a few weeks so need some advice please. 

1 hour ago, DcVenom said:

I’m looking for models with synergy as don’t want to literally make the most uncompetitive list and not enjoy things

Okay, I appreciate where the other poster was going with his comment, but if you want box sets that synergise with Sonnia i'd recommend Perdita box set as both Papa Loco (giving plusses to Damage Flips) and Frank (+2 DF/WP) are good for Sonnia. Frank is a staple in a lot of Guild Crews and with Perdita you have another master that works reasonably well with all of the models in her box.

If you can stretch to another model perhaps the Malifaux Child as this gives you access to double flame walls which can be Uber annoying for the oppo. 

A box of cheap scheme runners is also recommended, Sonnia wants to go dead last turn 1 so the enemy will fear her attacka and need to poaition accordingly. She also has nothing in her box to help with marker schemes.

Brutal effigy is solid for her.

I haven't ket up, the (currently unreleased?) investigators offer both scheming and mobility.

Brutal Effigy does play a critical role to Sonnia (or all our offensive master). He can help sonnia, with correct set up, to draw more than 1 hand in a turn. Card is one of the most important resource in the game lining up with SS and AP.

Also I find that Sonnia really wants all her AP using in blasting damage instead of walking into position. So Master Queeg or Nurse Heartsband can move her around in cost of few wound. Fransicso and Papa Loco from Perdita's box, as mentioned above, can both buff Sonnia to a greater level.

However beware of taking too much support piece at the same time. 1~2 model from above can have the job done well. Then you can fill some scheme runner, front liner and flanker with the remaining SS. You should try out some game to find out your most favorite options. I believe most, if not all, players do welcome using proxy model in causal game. 

Priority purchases:  Perdita box, Brutal Effigy, Field Reporters.  (Witching Stalkers are too slow to be scheme runners.)

Secondary purchases: Malifaux Child, Master Queeg.  (Heartsbane is good but she is part of the Starter kit and hard to get on her own).

Tertiary purchases: Witchling Handler, Thalarian Queller.  These are not as competitive but are fluffy and augment her crew nicely.I have a really funny combo involving Allison Dade, a Witching Handler, and Guild Hounds as part of a Sonnia crew.  All of those can be bought individually w/out getting a whole crew box.

12 hours ago, Tendrepie said:

They actually can interact with 'pact mentality'; though if you hire only 2 and one die, I guess you are most likely screwed.

Well i said same thing in different words, but thx for translation :)

BTW since this is topic about tips to new players can someone help me too please ? I heard that Guild Masters can gain Reactivate, and even Emissary with LJ has 0 upgrade that says u cant gain Reactivate on turn 1. So how to gain Reactivate by playing Guild ?
And second question - Who can attack burried models except Justice.

14 minutes ago, Rillan said:

BTW since this is topic about tips to new players can someone help me too please ? I heard that Guild Masters can gain Reactivate, and even Emissary with LJ has 0 upgrade that says u cant gain Reactivate on turn 1. So how to gain Reactivate by playing Guild?

There's no generic way for Guild Masters to gain Reactivate. The Conflux of Judgement upgrade's Slowed Reflexes ability means that the Emissary can't gain Reactivate (or be Buried), not Justice herself (if there was a way for her to do so). I honestly don't recall the reasoning behind stopping the Emissary from Reactivating, but I'm sure someone else can explain.

14 minutes ago, Rillan said:

And second question - Who can attack burried models except Justice.

Death Marshal Recruiters and Aionus, for models available to the Guild. Some of Tara's Void creatures can do it too.

• Thanks 1

@Rillan

Pretty sure there is no way to reactivate guild masters. You can push them up to get at stuff and several of them have chain activation tricks. Maybe someone got it mixed up?

The emissary reactivation bit was to stop you from popping LJ out turn 1 after burying her which obviously you can do anyway by making it bury her before it activates so it doesn't do much.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ludvig said:

@Rillan

Pretty sure there is no way to reactivate guild masters. You can push them up to get at stuff and several of them have chain activation tricks. Maybe someone got it mixed up?

The emissary reactivation bit was to stop you from popping LJ out turn 1 after burying her which obviously you can do anyway by making it bury her before it activates so it doesn't do much.

Sometimes I wonder if there was a reactivate mechanic in wave 3 beta/avatar beta which got rightfully eliminated, but has left traces here and there (and @Rillan‘s rumor is another trace)...but chain activation being what was meant makes enough sense that I’ll go with that instead.