Trouble with playing alt Hungering Dankness

MalifauxDave

I've used it in a couple of real games. Like any of the big models with fancy weapons, tentacles or other parts sticking out, it can be tricky. Keep a spare 50mm base around for when it's in real tight corners and space matters. It's not just him though, there's lot of models (in lots of games) with this problem. Turning them around so the back is what is making contact with the enemy is another potential solution.

Rule of Cool applies though. If it looks cool enough, plunk it on the table and learn what is needed to mitigate the disadvantages of size :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Personally I'd relegate Alt Huggy to the Display Cabinet but others can use him as they see fit.

On a related note I'm not using Grootslangs so far because I dislike the model so much. Eventually I might make a legal conversion from Cojo and a Razorspine Rattler. (Occasionally I get pretty opinionated regarding models...)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, H4ml3t said:

Personally I'd relegate Alt Huggy to the Display Cabinet but others can use him as they see fit.

On a related note I'm not using Grootslangs so far because I dislike the model so much. Eventually I might make a legal conversion from Cojo and a Razorspine Rattler. (Occasionally I get pretty opinionated regarding models...)

I don't know if you facebook but there was a post buy a guy with a pretty neat take on it. Basically he used top half of 'slang and had that emerging from a puddle of water. Then he used lower part and some 101 sculpting to make it look like another 'slang, also emerging from a puddle of water.

Also totally with you on being opinionated about models. I've got a few TT models I'm not buying or playing for that reason.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

I don't know if you facebook but there was a post buy a guy with a pretty neat take on it. Basically he used top half of 'slang and had that emerging from a puddle of water. Then he used lower part and some 101 sculpting to make it look like another 'slang, also emerging from a puddle of water.

Also totally with you on being opinionated about models. I've got a few TT models I'm not buying or playing for that reason.

Not to mention that he provided a detailed tutorial. “Step 3: hacksaw” has got to be one of the best steps ever seen in a 32mm scale plan. It definitely moved my opinion of the model from ‘meh’ to ‘whoa, cool, and now it fits with its cost and faction visually!’. Now I wonder what he’s using for lair markers to keep in theme.

40 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

Not to mention that he provided a detailed tutorial. “Step 3: hacksaw” has got to be one of the best steps ever seen in a 32mm scale plan. It definitely moved my opinion of the model from ‘meh’ to ‘whoa, cool, and now it fits with its cost and faction visually!’. Now I wonder what he’s using for lair markers to keep in theme.

Could you give the link please?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Found myself in the same situation. Decided to buy the alt model because I love it, and after assembling it I realised that the sculpt just kills the function. I think this is the first time I have come across like this - feeling bit of a regret that I bought it. Any tips to do some damage control and make it more usable? 

I'm assuming your problem is "overhang" where arts of the model go beyond the base and interfere with other models.

Some solutions include -

Modify. Resculpt tenticles etc that overhang to not over hang. Often reducing the overhang to just 1 direction of the base can be enough to allo you to twist the model to fit when required.

Slant. If you build the Base to be slanted, you get greater area for the model to fit on, and have a little more control over what over hangs.

Raise. Build the base higher If the overhangs of the models are more than 2" high, then they will go over the top of most models and so not be a problem.

Final solution is carry around a proxy base that you can use to replace the Hungering darkness on those occasions where he won't fit.

3 minutes ago, Adran said:

Final solution is carry around a proxy base that you can use to replace the Hungering darkness on those occasions where he won't fit.

I highly recommend proxy bases anyway. They're good for measuring out movement when you're doing something a bit complicated (for instance, Rider walks to within 2 inches of another model, rides with me, then charges another model).

Using proxy bases, you can measure all that out and confirm it all works/calculate exact placements of everything before committing to the move. Plus, you can do it while your opponent is doing an activation and saves time (only if it doesn't give away information, of course).