Lucius, Queeg, and Witchling Thralls?

StormLordXIII

Hey everyone,

Witchling Thralls have  been somewhat controversial in my group because they are expensive, but I really like their flexibility (ranged and melee attacks), (0) action to push, and their ability to auto-pass horror duals regardless of how poorly you flip. Given these traits, and their station as "minions," I imagine they would synergize well with Lucius and Queeg, who can use all sorts of out-of-activation shenanigans to get them up the field. In this case, I think they are better than other hard-hitting alternatives like Executioners, Grimwell, Gage, Judge, Jury, etc.

How do people feel about this build? Note that there is no specific strategy in mind, which probably defeats the purpose of the exercise, but let's assume that it's mix of offense and defense for zone holding like Turf War or Reconnoiter.

Lucius (Deep Pockets, Surprisingly Loyal)

Scribe

Master Queeg (Debt to the Guild)

Doppleganger (Lead Lined Coat)

Witchling Thrall x 2

Lawyer

Austringer 

The core of this combo relies on the dynamic between Lucius, Queeg, and the Thralls, and pushing the Thralls up early in the game into scoring zones or threaten enemy pieces. My opening moves would be activating Queeg and using his Put Fear in Them ability to push both Thralls up, which will succeed without risk of the Thralls suffering Paralyzed because they autopass the horror duel. Then, Lucius can do the same thing with Commanding Presence, which will also auto-succeed. Before the Thralls have even activated yet, they've each effectively walked twice.

The other pieces are there because they synergize well with Lucius; the Scribe can remove conditions, the Lawyer can lay out a Hard to Wound bubble (ideally on the Thralls, and can buff both in the same turn with Multiple Defendants), and the Austringer could issue orders or attack from a distance. Doppelganger helps to mess with initiative.

What do you all think? I suppose part of the problem is that the only hitting power in here comes from the Thralls... once they're gone, there are no heavy damage dealers, although the Doppelganger and walk up to an enemy beater and mimic them. Would you replace the Lawyer, Austringer, and Scribe with something more tanky? 

Personally, I'd take a Monster Hunter over the Austringer and Ferdinand Vogel over the Doppelganger unless I really needed her for something. Vogel is like a mini Lucius and he can switch into the beater role if a Thrall goes down. Monster Hunters are just ruthlessly efficient and Id probably try to find room for a second at the expense of the Lawyer. Lawyers are p good at 5 stones now though...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StormLordXIII said:

What do you all think? I suppose part of the problem is that the only hitting power in here comes from the Thralls... once they're gone, there are no heavy damage dealers, although the Doppelganger and walk up to an enemy beater and mimic them. Would you replace the Lawyer, Austringer, and Scribe with something more tanky? 

The thrall is more duration then you may imagine. If you are worrying about beating power, than you may want Monster Hunter as mentioned above, or replace Master Queed with Mr. Graves for a beat-stick with pushing and tanky abilities.

1 hour ago, displaced said:

Personally, I'd take a Monster Hunter over the Austringer and Ferdinand Vogel over the Doppelganger unless I really needed her for something. Vogel is like a mini Lucius and he can switch into the beater role if a Thrall goes down. Monster Hunters are just ruthlessly efficient and Id probably try to find room for a second at the expense of the Lawyer. Lawyers are p good at 5 stones now though...

May you share more experience with Ferdinand? I really love the models while feeling difficult to find synergy with others of the crew. Censure is great and laws of nature looks fun but the requirement of mask makes it hard to put off.

I'm not a huge queeg fan outside of promises builds, which this isn't.  If I'm paying for surprisingly loyal anyways, I'd probably include Vogel instead.

That being said, guild is quite rich at the 8ss tier, so other models rather than Vogel and the doppel would fit in quite nicely too.  I'd second the monster Hunter thing, they do work with Lucius, and take some heat off the thralls for a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4thstringer said:

I'm not a huge queeg fan outside of promises builds, which this isn't.

This. Lovely core of a list, wrong master for it. When Lucius and Queeg are plotting together I’m probably doing something naughty with minion 0s, and thralls’ one is too valuable to waste on plotting naughty tricks. Possible exception into Ours, straddling the centerline?

3 hours ago, Rufess said:

May you share more experience with Ferdinand? I really love the models while feeling difficult to find synergy with others of the crew. Censure is great and laws of nature looks fun but the requirement of mask makes it hard to put off.

I was probably cheating using my wits, or The Jury. So yeah bench Queeg for The Jury. I found Vogel to be a nice bodyguard for Lucius to devil deal with, and being a minion he takes orders well. The Beast subs in if/when a Thrall bites the dust. As 4thstringer says, anyone of Guilds uber 8 stone henchmen could take the spot though, sacrificing some utility for more oomph, which isnt a bad trade off at all.

Generally Thralls work really well with Lucius, but I don't think Queeg adds much to the crew. As the Thralls 0 action can only be used to push towards another friendly model and the Thralls tend to be in the front line I think it will be quite hard to get good use of it multiple times in a single turn.

I mean, don`t underestimate 0 ap interacts, forced with horror duels and with don`t mind me near Lucius (so one Thrall could drop a marker to let the other one attack if he`s close by^^), but yeah, one does tend to use him mainly for promises, which isn`t very effective in a standard Lucius crew.

Two models from broken promises that should very much be considered here are the thalarian queller, so that pesky armor and whatnot can't slow your thralls down and the riot breaker to shoot enemy scheme runners and ruin their lives. The witchling thralls will probably trigger the riotbreaker's free push every turn so it can swiftly get to position and a ram trigger issue command can easily let it shoot its gun with focus for blast.

• Like 1