Schemes & Stones Nicodem Crew Spotlight with Varney

Khyodee

I was a little surprised that neither of you rated Asura's Hands from Below ability that highly. I haven't used her yet but on paper I thought this looked amazing, especially as other undead can take this action via Residents of Rottenburg. Getting it stacked up on high def models before sending something in for the kill or slowing down scheme runners?

But I guess I'll see how it plays when I get it on the table

34 minutes ago, Flippin' Wyrd Jamie said:

It's okay. I'd rather spend that AP doing damage than temporarily weakening a model. If a model is tough enough that it would be useful to drop it's stats then it's a priority kill target and just as hard to hit for damage as hit with a debuff and I'd choose the damage.

Debuffs that make models easier to hit (and don’t themselves do damage) that don’t benefit from some sort of accuracy bonus never seem to make sense to me in games unless it is a big debuff.

Hands from Below is at least a ranged attack. It seems like the perfect thing to use on those turns that a model only really has one useful thing to spend AP on. You do the thing you want to to and then you try to hit something up to 10 inches away. 

• Like 1

The main way I found it to be useful is that Turn 2 beat stick neutralization that can be a great use of an early an Asura activation.  sticking a Q zone marker next to Howard and give him -4 walk/charge and Def is very disruptive if condition removal is not nearby.

6 hours ago, Flippin' Wyrd Jamie said:

It's okay. I'd rather spend that AP doing damage than temporarily weakening a model. If a model is tough enough that it would be useful to drop it's stats then it's a priority kill target and just as hard to hit for damage as hit with a debuff and I'd choose the damage.

Yeah that makes sense. I'm guessing its use is more situational then, like if you can't reach a model but need to stop it getting somewhere? That being said I guess it would make more sense to try and Slow it with a belle

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't fully understand.

Maniacal Laugh and Undertaker mandatory? Did I miss something?

I can't follow, its too fast.
Would it be a huge ask for a list of all the things he goes through, upgrades?
Anyone have them by heart?

Would love a basic list to work from.

The "core" of the list is as follows:

Nicodem

-Undertaker

-Maniacal Laugh

Mortimer

-Corpse Bloat

-My Little Helper

Asura Roten

Philip and the Nanny

Sebastian

-Those Are Not Ours!

That leaves 12 stones unspent.  The short version is Mortimer and Asura Roten make mindless zombies/corpses, Philip makes cards, and Sebastian makes stones/cards.  Nicodem takes the corpses/stones/cards and goes to town.

The remaining stones are spent on either belles or a Malifaux Child and a lampad.   Belles are used to drag things into your rapidly growing army.  The Lampad/malifaux child combo lets the child do buffing things (can use Nico's Rigor Mortis ability easily enough) while the lampad sort of floats around the scrum killing stuff and making Lampads.

By default this has no scheme runners.   In general 2018 doesn't seem to "want" scheme runners so much, and any you need you can make.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2018 at 7:04 PM, Clement said:

The "core" of the list is as follows:

That leaves 12 stones unspent.  The short version is Mortimer and Asura Roten make mindless zombies/corpses, Philip makes cards, and Sebastian makes stones/cards.  Nicodem takes the corpses/stones/cards and goes to town.

The remaining stones are spent on either belles or a Malifaux Child and a lampad.   Belles are used to drag things into your rapidly growing army.  The Lampad/malifaux child combo lets the child do buffing things (can use Nico's Rigor Mortis ability easily enough) while the lampad sort of floats around the scrum killing stuff and making Lampads.

By default this has no scheme runners.   In general 2018 doesn't seem to "want" scheme runners so much, and any you need you can make.

Didn't really think this through.
Need a whole master box to get Philip and the Nanny.

Already bought Nico, Seamus, Reva and McMourning

On 4/15/2018 at 12:42 AM, Mårten said:

Didn't really think this through.
Need a whole master box to get Philip and the Nanny.

Already bought Nico, Seamus, Reva and McMourning

The nice thing is the list is weirdly modular.  Not having Phillip and the Nanny won't cause the list to collapse, just be slightly less efficient.

If you only have what you list, add in Sybelle with bleeding tongue and Not too Banged up and give Nico undead crowning.  Sybelle and the belles are amazing with the support Nico can give.

22 minutes ago, Mårten said:

It was more a comment on master boxes lol. 

Anything useful for nicodem from Seamus box? 

The central gimmick of Nicodem is that he makes really anything with the Undead keyword amazing.  Giving Madame Sybelle the buffs from Undead Crowning means her normally bad weak damage isn't really a concern anymore.  She's also great at setting up a fast belle to yank a victim across the table.

• Like 1