Pandora for Fixed List Tourney

Sweet Tooth

Hi all,

I'm planning to attend a fixed list 50ss tournament this weekend following the GG18 strats & schemes for March. The crew I'm thinking about running is below but there are a few things that I could use some advice on..

1. I'm thinking Barbaros with Challenge will keep Pandora alive longer and he can run interference for her, but is it possibly overkill? I haven't tried this combo yet.
2. Should I consider bringing the Emissary/Johan for Condition removal? What would I swap for him?

50 SS Neverborn Crew - Melee 'Dora
Pandora + 5 Pool
 - The Box Opens (2)
 - Fears Given Form (1)
 - Aether Connection (1)
Barbaros (10)
Cyclops (8)
 - A Thousand Faces (1)
Lilitu (7)

Baby Kade (6)
- Depression (1)
Iggy (5)
 - Malifaux Provides (1)
Bloodwretch (5) <- I don't have insidious madness yet

Is there anything else you'd call out that I should consider? Any feedback will be super appreciated. 

Thanks! :)

I'm not the most experienced Pandora player, but I'll try and help you out.

Q1 - Barbaros is great with Pandora, Challenge can be a real pain when your opponent is already trapped in Pandora's bubble. Plus his built in pushes from the trigger can help keep enemies near Pandora, or equally to push them away if you feel uncomfortable. However, your opponent will eventually drop them, if they feel the need to. This will be pretty good for Symbols, as Punish The Weak is an option, but your oppenent will stear clear when they clock onto what you're doing. Lilitu are even Kade to some extent, can help you lock them down. With Public Execution, you will have to be cautious of Pandora dying, but she can wrecking ball into your opponent to score and hopefully thin their forces. It could even work for Ply too, they can't just leave Pandora amist their crew, just be careful not to kill too many models, otherwise you may struggle to score late game VP from Ply.

Q2 - The Emmissary is a great choice, nice damage spread, great triggers and the ability to disrupt movement with his markers which heal him. He is great in Ply, for enemy condition removal. He can stop 'Search The Ruins', 'Inescapable Trap', 'Set Up' from his discard markers trigger, but do note it will discard your markers too. He is pretty durable too, with the option to summon changelings, at a push, which can scheme run or simply be annoying. 

Onto your crew, I don't know what you have in your arsenal, but thats fine.

Drop the Wretch for an effigy, if u own one, 'Rapid Acceleration' can really help Pandora get the extra mobility she wants with this style. Also, 4ss for Armor +1 and HtK is pretty nice.

I feel like the Cyclops is a bit too easy to drop, his ice pillars are nice though, they could help prevent a devestating charge or block in an enemy for your crew to attack or even ply off. Personally, I'd throw in Mr Graves, with 1k faces, 3/4/6 with the potential positive is great, he can push Pandora 6' up the board, or displace an opponent. Also, if 'keeping the peace' comes up, its another nice WP duel for your opponent. 

Kade is a good model, in the right situation, a potential 5 minimum damage is insane, but Kade is kind of weak. 6 wounds is low, DF 7 is above average, but DF will only get you so far. Keep him in if you like, but I feel like you could drop him for the Doppelganger, for versatility and potential scheme running, don't mind me, copying lure for displacement etc. 

If you don't fancy running the Cyclops, you could drop him (and maybe Kade) for The Emmissary or Rider, plus the Primordial Magic (extra WP duel, can deny scheme runners coming down the side for Breakthrough, Symbols, Surround them) and he can count as a scheme marker, for Set Up, Surround Them etc. Then, you could put in the Effigy with the spare stones, and drop the Wretch for another scheme runner (its a shame u don't have Madness, I have to borrow mine from a mate, since they are gold dust to get a gold of) 

We can assume that all schemes will come up once, so there's definitely variety. Hopefully my advice will help out, I wasn't sure if you wanted your list expanding upon, so sorry if not.

Hope this helps :)

• Like 1

@INXVI had good advice. I'll add in that I like Woe is Me over The Box Opens for her Limited Upgrade.

I'm fairly new to Pandora and our play styles may vary so you can take my opinion on Woe is Me with a grain of salt.

Edited by H4ml3t
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback!! 

I'll definitely take Barbaros to be a pain and help with the pushes in/out of the bubble. 

You've swayed me on the Emissary. I forgot about his trigger to remove markers on top of the built in trigger for condition removal. I'll drop Kade and switch to the effigy as well to make room for the big guy. Quick question - Does the (0) for Rapid Acceleration require LOS to the leader? 

I see what you're saying about the cyclops vs Graves but I'm leaning towards the usefulness of the ice pillars over the damage spread. This is because the terrain at the place where I'll be playing seems to leave nice open spaces for shooting lines (really messed me up against a Guild player at my first tourney). So I'm hoping I can use the pillars to block or divide the enemy forces as needed.

'Woe is me' is a fun upgrade to play but I was thinking I'd like to try out the melee style this time around. I only recently started playing Pandora and that was with the new upgrade. 

With the drop in price, is the Rider a solid option now? I don't have the model and I'm wondering if I should add him to my short list to buy.

Thanks all!! :D

@Sweet Tooth Glad I could help mate :)

I'm pretty sure you need LoS to the master for Rapid Acceleration.

Also, it makes sense using the cyclops for cover, I'm not a fan of the 'place in base contact' but maybe I just play too much Lilith 😂 it's still a great choice non the less.

In terms of The Rider, I've used him a lot since the errata, mainly because a mate of mine has been lending him to me. For 10 stones, he can get a good lot done, just be careful on the earlier turns, because he can drop to a dedicated assualt. His 6' push can help Pandora, or other models in your crew with mobility, allowing for a potential 19' threat range (without regarding terrain), which is great for getting to those faster models trying to get to your deployment. With Symbols, he's a good at grabbing late game markers if nobody else is available, he can also drop tough models quite easily around Turn 4, with min damage 5! And even the min 4 on turn 3 is brilliant. Slamming him into an Entourage target isn't a bad idea, use his board coverage to your advantage, even if you use him as a minion hunter, denying potential VP is great. 

Also worth mentioning that the 'conflux of sorrow' on the Emissary is kind of amazing.

Being able to copy any non-master ability is really fun and can give you just the piece of redundancy you need to get things done:

Borrow misery from sorrow, martyr from Iggy, lure from lilitu, more ice pillar, or whatever you fancy or need the most in the moment!

And, as icing on the cake, +you get a 0 for another source of 'mood swing' :)

16 minutes ago, Tendrepie said:

Also worth mentioning that the 'conflux of sorrow' on the Emissary is kind of amazing.

Being able to copy any non-master ability is really fun and can give you just the piece of redundancy you need to get things done:

Borrow misery from sorrow, martyr from Iggy, lure from lilitu, more ice pillar, or whatever you fancy or need the most in the moment!

And, as icing on the cake, +you get a 0 for another source of 'mood swing' :)

Remember that The Emmissary copies abilities, not actions, so whilst you can copy Misery, Martyr etc, you cannot copy Lilitu's Lure or The Cyclops (0) actions.

But on another note, you can summon a changeling, it isn't too difficult to get off as a summon, and Changelings are great models. Copying actions with good damage spreads, or useful abilities built in is pretty good for a 4ss, potential summon. Just be cautious that they don't copy suites, so Lilitu's lure will be impossible to get off.

@INXVI How do you play the Emissary? Do you tend to position him more forward as a beater, more mid-field as a support model that can summon and sometimes hit things, or in the rear as full support? Given the triggers on his attack and the ability to copy other abilities (from the Conflux upgrade) it feels like I should be positioning him forward/mid-field to get the most value. Thoughts?

4 hours ago, INXVI said:

Remember that The Emmissary copies abilities, not actions, so whilst you can copy Misery, Martyr etc, you cannot copy Lilitu's Lure or The Cyclops (0) actions.

Well... good that I haven't played it with Pandora yet, so I won't make the mistake in a game (and now I'll hopefully pay more attention to subtlety like ability vs action!)

I used it mostly with Dreamer (and once with Lilith) so far. 

Agreed Changeling are great. Even if just for more activation and drop markers. Despite the '4' and no trigger: Pandora (attack wp with their track), Barbaros (as far as I understand the push 4'' is not a trigger), Emissary (Ca attack) and Lilitu (4'' range, sometime + to damage flip) attack could all be worth 'copy-catting' at time

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sweet Tooth said:

@INXVI How do you play the Emissary? Do you tend to position him more forward as a beater, more mid-field as a support model that can summon and sometimes hit things, or in the rear as full support? Given the triggers on his attack and the ability to copy other abilities (from the Conflux upgrade) it feels like I should be positioning him forward/mid-field to get the most value. Thoughts?

I just about always bring the Emissary in Ply and Executions for his built in Condition Removal on his attack. I often bring him in other Strats too because I just like him.

I tend to play him just behind the front line as his Attack has a 6" range with no gun icon. Thus he doesn't care about cover and doesn't randomize when shooting into engagements. If the enemy engages him he's still pretty tanky and should take a dedicated effort on their part to put down.

• Agree 1

@Tendrepie It's alright, there's a lot of rules in Malifaux, so don't worry about misreading it too much, all part of learning the game :)

@Sweet Tooth I agree with @H4ml3t his 6' range isn't the furthest, but he doesn't exactly need to be in the opponents face. Dropping him in Ply is great, it takes pressure off of hitting severes, or getting models engaged to Ply. 

His ability to heal from the hazardous terrain he creates, will help if he does take a bit of a beating too.

Also, keep us updated mate, I'd love to hear how you do. I've started playing tournaments lately (just small 10+ ones) and it's just reinforced my love for the game, even if I sometimes take a beating. 😂

So I'd love to hear how it turns out for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for moving at the pace of an Ice Golem with this followup @INXVI. I've been drowning in work and life seems to be filled with everything but Malifaux these days :( I've finally got some time to sit down and put thoughts on the page so bear with me here. I'm not great at battle reports (yet), so this will be more game highlights than anything else. 

The Crew I ended up taking was:
Pandora + 5 Pool
 - The Box Opens (2)
 - Fears Given Form (1)
 - Aether Connection (1)
Barbaros (10)
Mysterious Emissary (10)
- Conflux of Sorrow (0)
Lilitu (7)

Baby Kade (6)
- Thousand Faces (1)
Iggy (5)
 - Malifaux Provides (1)
Mysterious Effigy (4)

Game 1
Pandora vs Somer
His Crew: Somer, Trixie, 2 slop haulers, 2 of Somer's skeeters, and 8 bayou gremlins. 
Pool: Public Execution, Eliminate the Leadership (both), Vendetta (me), Set Up (him), 2 others that we didn't pick
Deployment: Close. I deployed at the close line, the opponent setup his crew along the 6" line.

This was not a great start to my day. The opponent fielded 14 models at the start of the game compared to my 7. This was also my first game against gremlins and I'm told it was an odd list for the opponent to bring.

Turn 1: The opponent won initiative and immediately dropped a skeeter into the center of my poorly clustered group of Pandora, Iggy, the effigy, and Barbaros. Since Iggy was the closest and immediately engaged, I lost my chance to have him go after Trixie for Vendetta. Pandora and Barbaros moved up the field in an attempt to go after Somer but were taking numerous shots from the bayou gremlins. After a certain point I started pushing Pandora away in an attempt to keep her alive. The rest of my crew was flanking the sides of the board, but not accomplishing much.

Turn 2: First activation, Somer targets Pandora and attempts to have us discard our hands.  I denied the first attempt but couldn't stop the second. So we played turn 2 with no cards in hand while nearly every gremlin could bayou two card and go reckless. Pandora eventually died that turn, which scored 3 points for the opponent's Eliminate the Leadership. Barbaros was barely hanging on to life, but managed to kill a gremlin, so we stayed neutral for Public Execution. 

Turn 3: The rest of my crew was massacred against a gremlin gunline (never expected to see that happen) and Trixie got cozy with Barbaros to drop a few scheme markers, letting the opponent score for Set Up.

End of the game it was Neverborn 0 - Gremlins 7 (1 for Public, 3 for Set Up, 3 for Eliminate)

Overall, not a great match up for me. My biggest takeaway from this game is that a dedicated assault (however obnoxious it was) will bring down anyone. And to be fair, my opponent went on to win third place in the tourney (out of 16 folks). I was clearly up against a skilled player.

I'll be back tomorrow to post Game 2 & 3!

Would love any feedback or thoughts on how to counter a Gremlin swarm. Thanks!! :D

10 minutes ago, Sweet Tooth said:

Turn 1: The opponent won initiative and immediately dropped a skeeter into the center of my poorly clustered group of Pandora, Iggy, the effigy, and Barbaros. Since Iggy was the closest and immediately engaged, I lost my chance to have him go after Trixie for Vendetta. Pandora and Barbaros moved up the field in an attempt to go after Somer but were taking numerous shots from the bayou gremlins. After a certain point I started pushing Pandora away in an attempt to keep her alive. The rest of my crew was flanking the sides of the board, but not accomplishing much.

Turn 2: First activation, Somer targets Pandora and attempts to have us discard our hands.  I denied the first attempt but couldn't stop the second. So we played turn 2 with no cards in hand while nearly every gremlin could bayou two card and go reckless. Pandora eventually died that turn, which scored 3 points for the opponent's Eliminate the Leadership. Barbaros was barely hanging on to life, but managed to kill a gremlin, so we stayed neutral for Public Execution. 

Turn 3: The rest of my crew was massacred against a gremlin gunline (never expected to see that happen) and Trixie got cozy with Barbaros to drop a few scheme markers, letting the opponent score for Set Up.

If you deployed 18" away from your opponent, your first goal should have been Lilitu walks up and lures Dora up, then Dora Incites to swing 8" up the board on a 0 before using maybe 1 ap to walk and engage the enemy crew. Then inflict like mad. Turn 2 your opponent is forced to activate the Skeeter first (because of your Mood Swing), letting you inflict 3 more times. With that many models, your opponent is bound to have a few cluster hotspots. Dora needs to engage them and go 'Hey, pass this 14 WP duel. Now do it twice more. Now pass this 14 DF duel. Now pass this Terrifying 13 duel to hit me.' This is going to throw your opponent on the defensive right from the start as you pull all their high cards out of the deck.

In the traditional box opens list, I'd also chuck the Barbaros and Mysterious Emissary for good ol' Nekima and Doppelganger. If you have the model, then Lust also does wonders for the playstyle.

4 hours ago, chryspainthemum said:

If you deployed 18" away from your opponent, your first goal should have been Lilitu walks up and lures Dora up, then Dora Incites to swing 8" up the board on a 0 before using maybe 1 ap to walk and engage the enemy crew. Then inflict like mad. Turn 2 your opponent is forced to activate the Skeeter first (because of your Mood Swing), letting you inflict 3 more times. With that many models, your opponent is bound to have a few cluster hotspots. Dora needs to engage them and go 'Hey, pass this 14 WP duel. Now do it twice more. Now pass this 14 DF duel. Now pass this Terrifying 13 duel to hit me.' This is going to throw your opponent on the defensive right from the start as you pull all their high cards out of the deck.

In the traditional box opens list, I'd also chuck the Barbaros and Mysterious Emissary for good ol' Nekima and Doppelganger. If you have the model, then Lust also does wonders for the playstyle.

My 2 cents: Barbaros is fine in melee Dora, gives her yet another layer of defense. Emissary is ok but you need a sorrow (you moodswing turn one from emissary, dora and iggy) and second turn you copy misery walk up with the tree and then sorrow (optional), so every inflict really hurts ( you do it x3 and you kill a bayou on any failed duel). You probably will need to stone a lot for prevention to make her survive sommer blasts. I don't like Nekima in melee dora as she is very easy to target and eats all the stones and then Pandora can die easily (and you lose value from aether c). Also I dont take doppel unless I need "dont mind me".

5 hours ago, Sweet Tooth said:

Apologies for moving at the pace of an Ice Golem with this followup @INXVI. I've been drowning in work and life seems to be filled with everything but Malifaux these days :( I've finally got some time to sit down and put thoughts on the page so bear with me here. I'm not great at battle reports (yet), so this will be more game highlights than anything else. 

The Crew I ended up taking was:
Pandora + 5 Pool
 - The Box Opens (2)
 - Fears Given Form (1)
 - Aether Connection (1)
Barbaros (10)
Mysterious Emissary (10)
- Conflux of Sorrow (0)
Lilitu (7)

Baby Kade (6)
- Thousand Faces (1)
Iggy (5)
 - Malifaux Provides (1)
Mysterious Effigy (4)

Game 1
Pandora vs Somer
His Crew: Somer, Trixie, 2 slop haulers, 2 of Somer's skeeters, and 8 bayou gremlins. 
Pool: Public Execution, Eliminate the Leadership (both), Vendetta (me), Set Up (him), 2 others that we didn't pick
Deployment: Close. I deployed at the close line, the opponent setup his crew along the 6" line.

This was not a great start to my day. The opponent fielded 14 models at the start of the game compared to my 7. This was also my first game against gremlins and I'm told it was an odd list for the opponent to bring.

End of the game it was Neverborn 0 - Gremlins 7 (1 for Public, 3 for Set Up, 3 for Eliminate)

Overall, not a great match up for me. My biggest takeaway from this game is that a dedicated assault (however obnoxious it was) will bring down anyone. And to be fair, my opponent went on to win third place in the tourney (out of 16 folks). I was clearly up against a skilled player.

I'll be back tomorrow to post Game 2 & 3!

Would love any feedback or thoughts on how to counter a Gremlin swarm. Thanks!! :D

Thanks for the follow up :D I know how it feels to have less time for Malifaux recently 😂

Anyway, my local Gremlin player also loves to spam a good Gremlin gunline, Skeeters are a pain too. Last time I faced a list like that, I think I tanked Nekima + Doppel into the masses to reduce his activation control. It was Ply however, so I wasn't getting shot to pieces, to the extent you did.

Luring either Pandora up the field, or Luring your Vendetta target towards you, with Lilitu (and Kade to an extent) is always a good idea too, with the 2 lures, you could also have brought the Gremlins to you, Ca 7 against a lower WP is always nice, it seems you would have to top deck it Turn 2, but there are always high cards present 😊

Did you drop Barbaros' challenge aura up to soak some hits? Gremlins having to pass a WP duel for each shot, would definitely help.

It seems that the Emmisary would have worked pretty well in the pool, specifically for denial. His built in trigger to remove conditions (Shed Blood for example) would put pressure on your opponent to kill more, or not score due to your limited model count. Also, if he was still around (and had range) be could have shot poor Barbaros (or other present model) to remove all markers within the pulse, so always bear that in mind :)

The main thing though, is that you can only learn from experience, as you said, it was your first time playing Gremlins, so reviewing what you did right, wrong and what you could have improved upon, is a good way to identify things to work on. I do it all the time, the tournament I had at the weekend is one example, a spare of the moment decision, found me not cheating with my Rider against a Nurse, to then discover he had 1 card left, a crow for paralyze 😂

Kicking myself, but I'll remember to never make that mistake again, I was saving the card to score my final Show Of Force VP in case Barbaros was charged.

Keep us updated though mate, it's always interesting to listen to other players experiences.

@Sweet Tooth

The gremlin spam isn't super common but it can be a potent tactic since out-activation is always pretty good and Som'er can do some nasty stuff by granting his gremlins the right triggers and them having bayou two-card and reckless and him drawing back cards when they die. Generally I find that putting something to lock down a bunch of gremlins can work well, Pandora with FGF would have been a nice road bump and could have caused some real damage but with eliminate in the pool that might be a risky play. I've forward-deployed Waldgeists to lock an entire list like that down in their deployment for a decent part of the game (obviously not an option with your particular list).

@chryspainthemum
I agree the lures would have been helpful, but I deployed first and had lilitu & kade off to one side to be their own killy/lurey bubble. Because of the terrain (a building), they were separated from the rest of the group for the first turn. They did lure a gremlin out to be killed by barbaros at least once, possibly twice, but with how quickly my own models were being pinged down by the gremlins we were even on models with the shed blood condition. I was hesitant to drop Pandora into the swarm even with all her protection in Turn 2 after losing my control hand and seeing how often/easily the gremlins were passing duels by bayou two carding.

My tactics got better in Game 2 and I did use Inflict to max effect.

Game 2
Pandora vs Sonnia
His crew: Sonnia, Francisco, Peacekeeper, effigy, 2 death marshals, witchling stalker, & a watcher
The pool: Ply, surround them (me), undercover entourage (me), vendetta (him), show of force (him), & something else
Deployment: Standard, I deployed first
My plan was to have Kade & Lilitu run down a flank aiming to drop a marker in one corner while Barbaros ran interference and crossed into the enemy deployment zone to score undercover entourage and drop a second marker in enemy territory. Dora was going to go toe-to-toe with Sonnia to keep her engaged.

Turn 1: My opponent and I were slowing rolling the crews forward. Barbaros got himself out in front to put up Challenge and Iggy positioned himself so that he could Martyr for Dora as needed. Lilitu pulled the effigy forward so Dora could then swing up the field by mood swinging twice. By this point I think I managed to put mood swing on half of the opponent's crew between Dora, Iggy, & Emissary. (I had fun dictating his activations Turn 2) Dora walked herself into engagement with the Peacekeeper, Sonnia, Frank, and the effigy. That 3" engagement kept the opponent's crew massively tied down.

Turn 2: Dora was able to ply, Incite once, then Inflicted twice on the 4 poor guild members draining my opponent's deck of a few 12's, 13's, and the RJ. Dora was eventually Grounded(?) (meaning she would have to discard 2 cards for a cast action or it failed) until the end of her next activation. Barbaros was targeted for Vendetta and some focused attacks from the rest of the enemy crew had me stoning to prevent damage on him. One of the enemy models walked up and ply'd Barbaros as well, making us even that turn. Lil & Kade were walking for the back field with a death marshall heading off to meet them. The Emissary wandered up the field and summoned a changeling off a marker dropped by my effigy. The PK walked around the engagement area into the center of the board for Show of Force. 

Turn 3: Frank did his Enfrentate a Mi! on Dora, allowing him to place frank on the other side of Dora and push all his buddies away. He then ply'd Dora. The Emissary was able to walk within range and attack Frank to remove the Intel condition. The changeling was able to blink to Dora, ply Frank and then attack him with Dora's Self Loathing. Barbaros was getting smacked around as the target of Vendetta, so I ran him around the outside of the enemy bubble only to be blown up by some ranged Sonnia casting action. This scored 3 points for the enemy's Vendetta and denied my Undercover Entourage points. I don't remember what Lilitu did (probably died from the PK) but Kade kept walking for the backfield and met the Death Marshall. Dora (being the MVP of this game) was able to Ply, Incite twice (killing the brutal effigy and pushing 8" toward the enemy table corner), walked once and dropped a marker for my second point for Surround Them. The PK scored Show of Force again that turn. There was a lot of Plying going on, but the enemy ended the turn with one more model with the Intel condition than me. The game ended here.

Results: Neverborn 2 (Surround Them) vs Guild 6 (1 Ply, 3 Vendetta, 2 Show of Force)
This felt like a much better game than the prior matchup. I was able to use Dora as an effective tarpit and then she scored a last minute point without removing that Grounded condition. Dora did struggle to attack a single model head-on in that bunched up group since the damage tracks were low/models were difficult to attack (PK is armor +2 and Hard to Wound, Sonnia had a wp of like 9), so Inflict was the way to go. I realized that Barbaros incites a deep-seated loathing from every opponent I play, so planning to use him for an end of game scheme is a bad idea since he'll likely die before then. The Emissary was like a tool bag in this game, removing a condition and summoning a changeling. Even Sonnia wasn't that scary once I had her engaged.

All in, I had fun this game. :D

I'll post game 3 tomorrow. (Preview: It was my best game of the tourney)

• Like 2