M2E Ramos

retnab

Thanks for the great read! Plenty of advice in there. One of the biggest challenges for me when playing Ramos is Crew building.  This basically comes down to Ramos, Joss, Howard, Electrical Creation + ?. I will give Amina a go together with Vox Populi,  it sounds hilarious.

Cheers 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, retnab said:

• Combat Mechanic is his healing upgrade.  It gives him Accomplice, letting him Chain Activate into another model after he’s finished which has a few nice synergies, but what you’re mostly taking this for is the Combat Mechanic Ability.  This gives Ramos a medium range heal for a Construct, but it spends a Scrap Marker to do so.
  • Electric Summoning is his summoning upgrade.  It gives a single Action but as it’s a (0) it doesn’t compete much with what else Ramos wants to be doing.  Electrical Creation summons the explosive model of the same name, which comes in at full health.  Not huge, but it's not bad if you think your opponent’s going to be clumping up!

Great write up.

The Accomplice Ability on Combat Mechanic gives the Steamfitter the ability to pickup whichever card Ramos used for summoning  without giving your opponent the opportunity to force you to flip cards (assuming that's the last thing Ramos flips for during his activation).  That may be more useful than the healing  ability in most cases 

Electric Summoning  may not compete for AP or use of Ramos's zero action but it does compete for cards (or stones). There is only a single card that can summon an Electrical Creation that doesn't summon 2 spiders without needing to stone or allow Ramos to summon 3 spiders. 

You also noticed that you didn't have Electrical Creation in your list of models. They might be almost as common a hire for starting the scrap engine as the Molbile Toolkit.  It's a point more expensive but is easier to kill which can create some flexibility in your opening moves.

• Like 3

There are more models to do the Strike marker trick with but Amina. Performers can also pull models to them, or (my personal favourite) The Captain. Works even better with Combat Mechanic, so Ramos can chain into whatever model uses the markers afterwards. But that comes at the cost of two upgrade slots taken and neither Arcane Reservoir nor Under Pressure.

I have played The Captain with Ramos some times now (no surprise there, I have played him everywhere ;)),  and he is a good keeper for Bleeding Edge Tech. He also helps with the Howard Alpha by making him another 5" faster, and helps Ramos with his speed, if need be. He also helps the Brass Arachnid to get to whatever he needs to reactivate, which really helps :)

• Like 1

• Adran pinned this topic
45 minutes ago, MuMantai said:

I have eight spiders and two swarms. I had all spiders on the table like once or twice, and have once used both swarms. In a normal game, you should be good with six spiders and one swarm, I would guess.

Hi, 

Thanks for your answer but to clarify (as I'm new and don't want to mess this up). The only product available is this:

https://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/collections/arcanists/products/arachnid-swarm-2-swarms

Should I buy a couple of boxes and split the spiders in single ones and groups? As I've seen you can put 1, 2 or 3 spiders, do I need every combination of those?

Thanks again

15 minutes ago, longfanz said:

https://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/collections/arcanists/products/arachnid-swarm-2-swarms

Should I buy a couple of boxes and split the spiders in single ones and groups? As I've seen you can put 1, 2 or 3 spiders, do I need every combination of those?

Ramos summons a number of solo spiders. Spiders can combine into a swarm if they take an action. 

In that pack you get 6 arachnid models and stat cards to make them into either 6 solo spiders or 2 swarms. Some players attach magnets to the spiders and a tiny bit of magnetic metal to the base so you can use the same three spider models to make three solo spiders or a swarm with three on the same base. If you already have the Ramos box you should have plenty of spiders with a single box like that to make permanent solos and swarms. You could also make one swarm, six solo spiders and have three with magnets to use as spiders 7-9 or a second swarm. I've never met a player who would give you trouble for using two spiders as a swarm and make 4 individual ones either. Plenty of options really, the base size lets you know if it is a solo or a swarm.

• Thanks 1

A bit of clarification:

I have eight single spiders and two swarms with two spider models each. I have yet to encounter a player who would give me grief for that. That is the six spiders from Ramos' box plus another box of six of them. That is plenty.

As I said, six individuals and one swarm is enough for most situations, that would be Ramos' box plus a small spider box, or you work with magnets.

In play, usually the better the game goes, the more spiders you need. They are the first thing you shove into your opponents face (or the second, if you play Howard), and the more of them survive, the better your board position. That means, if you have no more spiders to summon, you can usually skip that step, as it just is a "more winning" move.

Swarms are a similar beast, you usually summon them in one of two situations: You either have nothing better to do with your spiders, or you desperately need a beater. Both situations are rare, which is why you seldom need a swarm and almost never need two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2018 at 10:02 AM, 7thSquirrel said:

Or a swarm to turn 5 clear a pile of scheme markers with it's (0) (the most common use I have to summon a swarm)

That 4" pulse scheme removal has won me games in the past. Plus they do have pretty decent damage output, especially against a low df model (lowered by other spiders), where you can keep those attacks coming with triggers. Personally I think the swarms are underrated 

• Agree 2

On 3/14/2018 at 10:46 AM, retnab said:

Added Lazarus' Strike Marker synergy :) 

On 3/9/2018 at 2:28 AM, Fictor said:

For the Ramos's Striker Markers you can add Lazarus to copy the ability again and have 6 Markers at the same time on the table ^_^

Can you actually do this? The action specifies "once per turn". As much as I'd love to spam the board with markers, I don't think you can. You could however, use Laz's (0) to do it, freeing up one of Ramos' AP

17 minutes ago, cbtb11235813 said:

Can you actually do this? The action specifies "once per turn". As much as I'd love to spam the board with markers, I don't think you can. You could however, use Laz's (0) to do it, freeing up one of Ramos' AP

The "once per turn" is a restriction for each model with that can use that ability. In a given turn Ramos could do it once, Lazarus could do it once, and the Malifaux Child could to once.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

The "once per turn" is a restriction for each model with that can use that ability. In a given turn Ramos could do it once, Lazarus could do it once, and the Malifaux Child could to once.

Oh really? I always interpreted that as once per turn regardless of who does it. Good to know! Now I need to build the alt-Laz I got last week

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2018 at 6:28 AM, WWHSD said:

The Accomplice Ability on Combat Mechanic gives the Steamfitter the ability to pickup whichever card Ramos used for summoning  without giving your opponent the opportunity to force you to flip cards (assuming that's the last thing Ramos flips for during his activation).  That may be more useful than the healing  ability in most cases 

Combat Medic on Ramos has been pretty sweet!  I mainly use it for accomplice and rarely for the heal. 

Turn 1:  Unlikely to be used Turn 1 and it seems a stretch to come up with scenarios where I would.

Turn 2: Assuming scrap is in play. Ramos summon as your last action. Chain into SteamFitter. 

Turn 3-4: Summon Three Arachnids around an enemy. Their defense is reduced by three. Attack with Ramos twice.  Chain into a Construct Beater and have them attack the same model.  At minus three that is likely one dead model.

That chain should result in a dead model. 

Turn 5: Niche cases to get in position and block some scheme movement. 

• Like 1