Monday Preview - Whiskey Gamin

Nef

8 hours ago, edopersichetti said:

It's a well-known fact that Poison Brewmaster just doesn't work. Too hard to reliably spread poison around, plus a number of other little problems with the mechanics that in the end make it too clunky (for example, it would help if his Drinking Contest was just an aura, rather than a 0 action).

Fair enough.

I've personally never really had any trouble getting poison where I need it with a Brewmaster crew, and I'd almost feel it to be OP if I could just liberally spread it around. I'm also pretty sure Drinking Contest would be OP if it was just an aura.

That said - definitely always happy for more options! :D

12 hours ago, Cadaver_Junkie said:

Fair enough.

I've personally never really had any trouble getting poison where I need it with a Brewmaster crew, and I'd almost feel it to be OP if I could just liberally spread it around. I'm also pretty sure Drinking Contest would be OP if it was just an aura.

That said - definitely always happy for more options! :D

I'm happy if you've had good experiences, but I think Brewie at high levels is simply not solid enough. The only way I found to make him work (and it seems to be general consensus), is to use him as a mass debuffer, using multiple Hangover actions to hand out Swill and hard hitters to take advantage of the negative flips. So, not revolving around the Poison mechanics at all...
The new upgrade helps making Obey somewhat viable (mostly on your own guys), but it has to be said that, apart from Binge, all of his other upgrades are also rather meh.

In terms of competitiveness he is unfortunately well behind his fellow Gremlins: Somer, Zipp, Ulix and Wong for sure, but I'd argue that with the new upgrades even Ophelia and Mah are now at least situationally competitive. Most of the times I've seen Brewie at a tournament is because he can hire Tanuki and use the in-famous combo with Pigapult.
So yes, he's not top tier even in his own faction, let alone in the whole game!
I didn't say "liberally", just more reliably. Right now it is too difficult to put more than Poison +1 or +2, and on more than one model. Drinking Contest as a (0) has the problem of pressing him to win initiative, and also, it goes away at the end of the Turn.
I seriously doubt he would ever be OP even if they tried. :D

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for him to be good, at least with his intended use, but there's still a way to go. It's encouraging that similar steps have been taken for other masters. For example, with Ophelia now a Kin-centric crew is viable (even though her Upgrade mechanic is still a bit clunky and Rami is still a sub-par choice). It'll just take a few more steps for Brewie. He's an extreme case, like Ironsides or Lucius: they were universally regarded as pretty bad, and impossible to fix with just a touch here and there, so they went through an errata with major changes, and they are now actually pretty good! 

To go back to the original post, I hope Gamins will help spread Poison around - as for Brewie himself, I hope to see him in an errata soon (like the above-cited Ironsides/Lucius).

• 1 month later...