Monthly Painting Challenge - March

Franchute

On 1/3/2018 at 8:59 PM, wobbly_goggy said:

Also I have just finished (like.. literally five minutes ago) a couple models that I started and did most of last month..

I admire the metal surfaces: they look lightful and natural. I was captured by the shade of the skin you created for the first mini: I'd like to get a brief descriptions of the paints you used for it. Thanks in advance and congrats for your achivements.

Assembled and base coated last month but here's this months challenge for me.

3 x ice gamin

blessed of december

snow Storm 

ice golem

will work out the points once I actually paint them and see how much of that I can get finished this month. Hopefully the lot of them cause I want to get raspy done next month so I can start playing her :) 

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Plans for this month: The eternal flame and a poison gamin (7 ss total). I'll also try to finish mouse if I've got the time or if either of the other two prove too difficult. (would have  been finished last month, but couldn't be bothered during the holiday)

March_Pledge_Edited.jpg

On a side note, do people have any tips for painting the poison gamin? I've got some ideas, but would like to know how others achieve the chitinous look.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Amdor said:

On a side note, do people have any tips for painting the poison gamin? I've got some ideas, but would like to know how others achieve the chitinous look.

It's a good month for Arcanist representation! :DI haven't painted a poison gamin myself yet, but when it comes to a chitinous look, I'd consider trying an extreme highlight of a contrasting (yet not entirely out-of-place) colour on the seams of the different plates of armoured exoskeleton. For example, if I were painting the carapace shell a poisonous-looking shade of light green, I'd try a browny-orange extreme highlight. And I just might, as soon as I acquire any poison gamin! ;)

• Thanks 1

@Franchute A couple of questions.....(1) I am on a paint my Neverborn  quest...is it ok if I add Barbaros to this month's pledge on the understanding I will not finish him until next month ?

(2) I can't remember...Do we need to post photos of models at the primer/unassembled phase ? I ask now as am at the primer stage so if needs be will photograph them now

4 hours ago, Amdor said:

I've got some ideas, but would like to know how others achieve the chitinous look.

In my experience, highlight placement and brightness is similar to what you’d use for NMM. The brighter the highlights and sharper the transitions, the shinier it will appear.

I’m intrigued by your idea of using contrasting colors for highlights. Are you going for an iridescent effect? Something otherworldly? Just experimenting? Tell us more :-)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Burnin' Coal said:

@Franchute A couple of questions.....(1) I am on a paint my Neverborn  quest...is it ok if I add Barbaros to this month's pledge on the understanding I will not finish him until next month ?

(2) I can't remember...Do we need to post photos of models at the primer/unassembled phase ? I ask now as am at the primer stage so if needs be will photograph them now

@Burnin' Coal  no problem. Models count in the month they are finished. Organize yourself as you want and try to finish as many models as you can :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Franchute said:

@Burnin' Coal  no problem. Models count in the month they are finished. Organize yourself as you want and try to finish as many models as you can :)

Thanks...WIP is cool but loading up a photo of sprue and primered models is a bit of a pain to be honest...only reason I asked about adding Barbaros is because I want to paint his wings at the same time as the Black Blood Shamans...see you all n a couple of weeks for a WIP