When/What list do you play ?

bedjy

Hi guys,

The principle is simple : Post here what list you have played lately and why you have been happy / unhappy with that list. The goal is not to make a full report there but just to fill this thread with many example of lists to take/give ideas :)

Ex :

(WIN) I have to play a game with a friend which will play Colette or Leveticus. The scheme pool is :

Deployment: Flank Deployment (13)

Public Executions (Tomes)

• * Eliminate the Leadership (Tomes)
  • * Undercover Entourage (5)
  • * Show of Force (7)
  • * Vendetta (12)
  • * Public Demonstration (13)

I choosed to take Yan Lo because it was quite a killy scheme pool and Yan lo and his friends can be quite resilient and hard to kill. If he is playing Outcast (leveticus), he will probably not play Ashe & Dust because of the strat.

Yan Lo - Cache:(6)

• Awakening 1ss
  • Follow Their Footsteps 1ss
  • Misdirection 2ss

Soul Porter 3ss

Toshiro The Daimyo 9ss

• Command the Graves 1ss

Kang 9ss

• Smoke Grenades 1ss

Yin the Penangalan 8ss

• Equality 1ss

Charm Warder 5ss

Goryo 7ss

I've chosen Vendetta Goryo / peacekeeper and Under entourage Yan lo. I've won this game 8-1, I got a bit lucky with my vendetta, and he made one or 2 terrible choices in his target selection. I've been happy with the list because there was not an easy to kill target for my opponent and I was able to hide my minions so he could not easily reach them.

Played two Shenlong games today. First one was such a clusterfudge from list building to player decisions I'm not even going to type it out. Let's just say if you ever see Belles in Ply strategy, avoid or kill those companioning VP machines as your first priority :lol:

Standard - Supply Wagons - Guarded Treasure, Dig Their Graves (Ressers), Take Prisoner (on Nicodem), Take One For The Team, Vendetta (Swordsman on Emissary)

I forget what my opponent's second scheme was. I had to leave in a hurry so we couldn't get proper post-game chat going.

Cache 3
Shenlong w/ Wandering, Misdirection, Ying/Yang (the one that lets you charge) - (I usually play Shen fairly upgrade light, but decided to kit him out to see how it goes, didn't do much since my frontline survived longer than usual)
Peasant
Gracie w/ Recalled Training - (strat pick)
The Lone Swordsman w/ Recalled Training - ("haven't fielded him in a while" pick, also had a hunch he could do Vendetta)
Sue w/ The Peaceful Waters - (ok anti-resser tech, good carrier for LRM fix if Shen is fully upgraded, awesome model)
Yin - (I'm on a bit of a Yin kick, especially when it comes to resser match ups).
Monk of Low River - (duh)

vs

Nicodem, Mortimer, Emissary, various lesser models (we both concluded that he really, really should get Philip & Nanny if he's going to play a summoner).

We had to end it before full five rounds, but were able to agree a 8-4 win for me, with possible +/-1vp for either one depending on the cards.

Basic idea for the list was a fast, reactivating Gracie to push my wagon up (12'' turn 1 woo). She's the main reason I scored 3-4 strat VP. Swordsman scored full Vendetta VP start of turn 3, but I'd say he got a bit lucky there as I was expecting 2VP. In general, and possibly in this game too, I think Take Prisoner on a summoner is a bad idea. I'd prefer to kill them before their summoning gets crazy. But here I figured I'd see how it goes, casual game 'n all, plus I didn't have a lot of alphastrike potential due to my self imposed need to push the wagon past centreline turn 1. That was perhaps unduly rushed. Or not, my opponent didn't try to push it back but I think risk of that is great enough to warrant some rushing on the matter. Scored 2 for Prisoner as he didn't have the resources to block all of my guys from converging on Nicodem. I had bit of a laugh with Gracie going down to HtK thrice, but was always healed back to full by Shen/LRM or Eating Her Fill. I'd say I was lucky my opponent didn't get the cards to summon anti-armour all that often, which I always promptly munched off anyway.

Far as dissecting my list goes, I think TLS AND Sue AND Yin were be overkill. There's probably room to shave a few SS off in there somewhere. I'm also open to suggestions other than Gracie, she did good but for 12ss she'd better do good. At a quick thought McCabe could do something similar with Jorogumo to keep things in faction. Might be others I'm missing. 

I'm not a huge fan of the strat, but at least I got some food for thought from this match.

10 hours ago, bedjy said:

Yours seems like a rather slow, melee focused list. Did you find this to be an issue, or did flank deployment or Yan's shenanigans help combat this? Also did you add Yin to help Show of Force and debuff models for Yan's death ray? Seems like bit of an odd pick if you didn't. Interesting list for sure, glad to hear it worked out.

5 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

Played two Shenlong games today. First one was such a clusterfudge from list building to player decisions I'm not even going to type it out. Let's just say if you ever see Belles in Ply strategy, avoid or kill those companioning VP machines as your first priority :lol:

Standard - Supply Wagons - Guarded Treasure, Dig Their Graves (Ressers), Take Prisoner (on Nicodem), Take One For The Team, Vendetta (Swordsman on Emissary)

I'm not a huge fan of the strat, but at least I got some food for thought from this match.

I'm not a huge fan of supply wagons either. I've tried it twice with Thunders and used two different approaches. 

A: McCabe with emissary, badge of speed, and a jorogumo. This allows you to reactive the jorogumo in round one and give him nimble, so he can push, move, push (x2). So you can get the supply wagon 16" on round one. That requires his activation, one AP from McCabe for reactivate from the badge (possibly a stone), a 0 from McCabe, and 1 AP from the emissary (you have to push the jorogumo between his activations to give yourself the extra push. Everything else you can invest in schemes and denial. 

B: Take Misaki and slam her right down your opponents throat so he can't do anything with his wagon. Use the emissary here as well to push the wagon, push for 0, push the wagon on turn one (8"). On turn two you'll need an assist from a 30mm model to get the wagon over the centerline, but other than that you're investing in misaki's alpha strike (so Sensei Yu and a charm warder). 

I like the second option much better. It's really hard to move that wagon when your pusher has just been impaled on a bisento and a handful of other models have been thunderstruck. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently had a lot of fun with this Mei Feng list. I lost 5-7, the strategy was Squatter's Rights, and my opponent played a Ulix list that basically relied on summoning lots of pigs and taking reckless damage, but healing with slop haulers and eat your fill triggers. I didn't get up the board fast enough, but anyway:

Mei Feng (Rail lines, recalled training)

Toshiro (Summon the graves)

Mechanical Porkchop

Low River Monk

Rail Golem (Smoke Grenades)

Obsidian Oni x 2

Actually worked out really well. The Obsidian Oni were able to keep healing the Rail Golem since its upgrade was attached (I never discarded it for this reason), and they also provided scrap markets for Toshiro to turn into Komainu. The Porkschop drops a free one every turn and that was pretty dope. Mei's Rail lines upgrade basically made all of the constructs especially fast thanks to the +1 speed buff to constructs. I

Most Recent Game:

vs. Guild

Standard Deployment, Public Executions, Eliminate the Leadership, Public Demonstration (Me - 3 minions), Show of Force (Both), Inescapable Trap (Guild), Recover Evidence

Ten Thunders:

• Shenlong (Wandering River Style, The Peaceful Waters, Hidden Agenda); 4SS Pool
  • Peasant
  • Ototo (Call the Thunder, Smoke Grenades)
  • Sidir (Promises, Equality)
  • Chiaki (Pull of the Grave)
  • Guild Pathfinder
  • Oiran
  • Monk of Low River

Guild:

• Nellie (Misleading Headlines, Delegation, Guild Funds)
  • The Printing Press
  • Phiona (Wrath of the Guild, Transparency)
  • Francisco Ortega (Wade In, Hermanos de Armos)
  • Bishop (Lead Lined Coat)
  • Field Reporter
  • Watcher
  • Brutal Effigy

Summary: Opponent got frustrated feeling I out-castled and out-activated him, managing to avoid giving up points to Trap with various shenanigans, he then made some key mistakes in a cagey game that let me squeeze ahead.I used two face cards from my hand turn 1 to 1-shot snipe an overly adventurous Field Reporter with with a fast, 0-focus Sidir, which also gave me that extra edge. He was also overly afraid of Eliminate the Leadership and played Franc very far back and kept El Meyor on Nellie and not Bishop. Bishop in turn held back, and the majority of my damage being Ml made me very worried about him being at Df8 and in my face. Not to mention the Wp4(5 with Oiran) on Ototo. So I got off a bit easy; minions aside, I think the list is very strong. Ototo got ignored for the most part and just whacked things at full Wds.

Thoughts on my crew: Show of Force is a scheme that factors in my crew compositions really heavily. Unfortunately, it kind of penalized the 0SS upgrades of which I usually love spamming with Emissary if not Sidir+Promises. Having Henchmen who can SS damage and have 0 heals is already incentivized by the Public Executions strategy, so might as well load up on upgrades on them.  Shenlong is my generalist, comfortable, cagey master. His small pool is offset by only really needing the 1 2SS upgrade, and essentially getting 2 peons for 2SS to help with activation control (the free focuses from Provide for the Temple are nice, too). I do consider Kamataichi, and cards are nice, but I find those extra 2SS (and losing the activation) very hard to come by. Oiran and and MoLR are core in every crew. The Lure can save and win games, the aura has situational utility (and is vital in some NB and Resser matchups), and shes decent for 5SS. The Pathfinder was my 'blow the dust off' flex slot, mostly beccause I wanted 1 more SS in my pool so he is the budget Katanata Sniper. He summoned a Trap turn with, top-decking it with double focus (thanks Shenlong), and when walked back to safety. The trap was instrumental in deterring my opponent from charging in (needlessly so, IMHO). Sidir and Ototo are viable with mobility boosters like Shenlong or Emissary, and I like their staying power. Chiaki is really good here, and as far as cheap upgrade holders go, miles ahead of Yamaziko and Mr. Tannen.

• Like 2