First games played, have some questions...

So, a week after assembly, I'm happy to report that my spouse and I played Puppet Wars Unstitched a couple of times last night and had a blast! The first game was with the suggested armies (Lady Justice vs Seamus), and I got butchered playing Seamus. The second game we drafted armies taking turns, and it was Pokey Viktoria vs Lady Justice. Much closer game, and I won as Lady Justice, but we both decided that Pokey Viktoria's animation bonus seems a bit underpowered (not a whole lot of outcast models in the base game, and the bonus doesn't work on the Hooded Rider), so we started talking about house rules for Pokey. And here's where my questions to you kind folks start:

1. Have any of you come up with good house rules for Pokey Viktoria? I'm thinking of "reduce the activation cost of all other puppets by 1", instead of reducing the costs of outcasts by 2...
  2. Does the Hooded Rider really not get any bonuses from Pokey? That seems so odd, given that he's one of so few outcast models in the box.
  3. Does the Bête Noire's "Sense Stuffing" action only work on adjacent puppets? That's how I played it, and it seemed underwhelming. I'm now wondering if it means that she can attack an exhausted puppet anywhere on the board, but then that seems a bit too powerful. 

I'm curious to hear how others play with these puppets...

Thanks,

PA

Your observation about Pokey Vik is understandable with the base game. House ruling her animation bonus to apply to all puppets might be a bit over powered though. I might suggest something more along the lines of removing a required suit and increasing the Puppets animation cost by 2 as more appropriate.

At any rate try your idea first and see if it works.

• Like 1

Well, I broke down today and ordered each of the pawn boosters (the multiplayer booster was already on the way), so maybe house ruling Pokey Vik won't be necessary after all. Be that as it may, it's safe to say that I'm hooked! Hopefully this game keeps me busy for the next year or two, before the itch to try Malifaux gets too strong :P

It really is a great game. As for Malifaux...well the Puppets are considered legal proxies so you might just have a few crews in hand once you get you mitts on the Pawn Boosters.

At the least you will have a decent Seamus and Lady Justice Crew with some extra. Just need to get the stat cards as you will already have two fate decks.

Yeah, in due time I'm sure that'll happen. Especially since I went ahead and ordered an old school metal Lucius to go along with the boosters (to have an extra master, since Brass Monkey's PDF had a card for him)..  Malifaux will happen for sure. Just as soon as my bank accounts heal a bit from this puppet binge :lol:

7 hours ago, Pantoporos Aporos said:

Yeah, in due time I'm sure that'll happen. Especially since I went ahead and ordered an old school metal Lucius to go along with the boosters (to have an extra master, since Brass Monkey's PDF had a card for him)..  Malifaux will happen for sure. Just as soon as my bank accounts heal a bit from this puppet binge :lol:

Wait, the Puppet Wars metal Lucius, or the Malifaux one? If the PW one, where did you get it from??? I've been trying to score one for a long time now... :)

I'm pretty sure that it's just a first edition Malifaux one. I got it from Noble Knight games, because it was pretty cheap. They have a lot of used and new old stock stuff, including one of each puppet wars booster (which I got). They do have one limited edition Teddy, but again I think it's not a puppet wars one (and it's pricy: $70).

Edited by Pantoporos Aporos
Forgot an important"not"

22 hours ago, Pantoporos Aporos said:

Especially since I went ahead and ordered an old school metal Lucius to go along with the boosters (to have an extra master, since Brass Monkey's PDF had a card for him)..

Just to be clear in Puppet Wars Lucius is a Sidekick not a Master unless they updated that in Unstitched (but I don't think they did).