Leveticus in General

noahsheck

I have been playing for a little bit now.  I have been using two masters: Tara and Von Schill.  I think that I want to expand outwards.  I was thinking of Leveticus, but I am not certain, looking at his card, exactly how he works.

Is Leveticus much of a summoner?  I mean, Alyce can drop scrap and he can turn it into abominations.  They can turn into desolation engines, that’s not nothing.

Does he use his ability to die and return to stand in the front ranks and fight?  His damage track is a little wonky.  

In short, how does he really work?

There are several different ways to play Leviticus (Before you even get into his hiring pool which is the largest in the game).

He can summon, but is not the greatest at it. His advantage is what he summons is most commonly as a result of killing an opposing model, so you are looking at a 2 model swing. You can build a crew that is set up to maximise his summoning if you want. (Upgrade that adds a trigger to his shooting attack)

He is Very resilient. If you can make your opponent spend their time killing him then you have done well. But most of the time he commonly activates, kills things and then disappears, so you aren't expecting him to be hit. His Waif mechanic gives him 2 extra lives, but it does mean that you need to spend some effort in protecting the waifs. 

He can do some very scary attacks in close combat thanks to his extreme severe and the relative ease for him to reach positive flips. He can be very mobile in his ability to appear by any of his waifs each turn. 

• Thanks 1

And do those other options at least allow me my stompybots? I think not! <_<

I have taken my cues in learning him from the Neverborn, much as it pains me to say it. The black blood grow list wants to do the last damage as pulse damage for a summon, and so does one of his upgrades. He returns for free as does Hungering Darkness. Every Guild crew of mine depends on auras (even if McCabe is there, so is Promises somewhere) and this one is free of them and of those positioning constraints...which I guess is good since I’m not pushing friendly models any more either? (Thank goodness Marlena can push enemies at least, or I’d be totally lost. Note that she is utterly anti-synergistic with death pulse abomination summoning, but better for the ‘tarpit with disposable master’ idea.)

Leveticus's themed crew can be considered summoners. If you throw in Rusty Alyce, Desolation Engine, and Ashes and Dust, every model in your crew has the ability to summon an Abomination with a :crowtrigger. On one occasion I had Ashes summon three Abominations in one turn (a Stolen and two Rats). Abominations kill suits and (0)s and can cause passive damage so your opponent will want to get rid of them, but they're not really worth anything to him.

As it stands I'd play Leveticus with Desolate Soul, Untimely Demise, and a third picked based on what I expect in the game.

• Thanks 1

The latest Schemes & Stones features Leveticus - it's worth a listen, especially if you're new to him.

They recommend Pariah of Iron (allows him to hire any non-Gremlin constructs) with a Terracotta Warrior so you can swap it out first turn of the game for Oathkeeper or his new upgrade which lets you discard scheme markers; and Scout the Field, which was new to me but I can see the synergy (and it can also be swapped out by the TC on the second turn after Pariah).

I'm interested in trying a core something like:

Leve (Pariah of Iron, Scout the Field, Desolate Soul)

- Hooded Rider (tank on turns 3+, mobile beater, can help with Leve's mobility)

- Terracotta Warrior (swaps out upgrades, anchor for waifs, can help with Hooded Riders survivabiity in early turns of the game)

- Soulstone Miner (scheme runner, mobile anchor for waifs)

Add A&D, Alyce, Midnight Stalker, Mechanical Rider, Effigies, other upgrades, etc as appropriate based on opponent, strategies & schemes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Levi is very good in my opinion into Symbols of Authority. He can get across the board very quickly and threaten your opponent's symbols. All you need is another fast model to anchor too like Ashes or Hooded Rider.  He can do Ours ok, but I'm not terribly fond of him in Ply, Supply Wagons or Public Execution. We have much better masters for all of those schemes to be honest. 

10 hours ago, Mrbedlam said:

Levi is very good in my opinion into Symbols of Authority. He can get across the board very quickly and threaten your opponent's symbols. All you need is another fast model to anchor too like Ashes or Hooded Rider.  He can do Ours ok, but I'm not terribly fond of him in Ply, Supply Wagons or Public Execution. We have much better masters for all of those schemes to be honest. 

It seems like Leveticus should be a good choice in Ours since he gets to pop back on to the board at the end of the turn right before Ours is scored. I think that’s something only he and Zipp are capable of doing. He’s realtively killy so he can help reduce the number of points your opponent has to score with and should out activate a lot of other masters making them commit their scoring models while he can still react.

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2018 at 7:24 AM, gribble said:

They recommend Pariah of Iron (allows him to hire any non-Gremlin constructs)

Is there a dual faction [not Outcast]/Gremlins construct and would one that exists count for the hiring pool?

2 hours ago, WWHSD said:

It seems like Leveticus should be a good choice in Ours since he gets to pop back on to the board at the end of the turn right before Ours is scored. I think that’s something only he and Zipp are capable of doing. He’s realtively killy so he can help reduce the number of points your opponent has to score with and should out activate a lot of other masters making them commit their scoring models while he can still react.

He's not bad at it, Levi is honestly a generalist master now. he doesn't just kill and he doesn't just scheme but he also semi summons and has an incredibly diverse hiring pool. However if I'm playing Ours in Outcasts I think I wanna bring Hamelin for the Out of activation moves/attacks or Viks because they are super killy and Vik of Blood is a free 10 SS

• Thanks 1

I would go with this,  Run 3 Teddies with Leveticus and slap Oath Keeper on them and chase them down with 1-3 Metal Gamin giving them protection! Teddies Regenerate the 2 wounds they take from magnetizing metal gamin as well.

Outcasts - 50ss Crew

Leveticus -- 2SS Cache
+Pariah of Iron - 1ss

• Hollow Waif - 0ss
  • Hollow Waif - 0ss
  • Teddy - 11ss
    +Oath Keeper - 1ss
  • Teddy - 11ss
    +Oath Keeper - 1ss
  • Teddy - 11ss
    +Oath Keeper - 1ss
  • Metal Gamin - 4ss
  • Metal Gamin - 4ss
  • Metal Gamin - 4ss

3 hours ago, Go Canucks Go said:

I would go with this,  Run 3 Teddies with Leveticus and slap Oath Keeper on them and chase them down with 1-3 Metal Gamin giving them protection! Teddies Regenerate the 2 wounds they take from magnetizing metal gamin as well.

Outcasts - 50ss Crew

Leveticus -- 2SS Cache
+Pariah of Iron - 1ss

• Hollow Waif - 0ss
  • Hollow Waif - 0ss
  • Teddy - 11ss
    +Oath Keeper - 1ss
  • Teddy - 11ss
    +Oath Keeper - 1ss
  • Teddy - 11ss
    +Oath Keeper - 1ss
  • Metal Gamin - 4ss
  • Metal Gamin - 4ss
  • Metal Gamin - 4ss

Teddies have df 3, its a death sentence. 

Leveticus can do everything - thanks to pariah upgrades. I played him in the tournament on last weekend all 5 rounds and take 8 place of 21. Lose twice. First time against Rasputina - I take Sue, but not take Effigy and win initiative flip no one-time =) On second turn I get 5 VP and my opponent was very nervous, but 2 lucky blasts from Putina (one with RJ) and I lose potential to doing strategy (wagons). Second game I was losing was against Asami. I lose that game because overlook time and activate the wrong model on the last activation, and lose. Both of this defeats - my fault, need more careful positioning and watch on time. I may win 2 place (maybe even 1, if a little bit lucky), but bad things happen. But this is not Leveticus fault, the only player. His very good master, but need some skills.

My advice:

Desolate soul - auto-take, you must concentrate on low-wound, or wounded models, kill it and summon abominations. This very frustrate opponent (especially Ressers, because no more corpse markers)

Untimely Demise - auto-take, this very candy upgrade that will shine after 2-3 turn, when many almost dead models on the table. You charge with Leveticus in a bunch of enemies, hit 1-2 models, kill yourself, kill enemies, summon aboms if that was non-peons. This upgrade brought me win twice on last weekend)

Hans - see Vendetta? Take Hans and earn 3 VP. In other cases, he's good anti-schemerunner and support for beater, because doesn't random into melee

Sue - good second beater (especially with return fire), extra card, and few support tricks.

Joss - extremely good beater, very survaviable.

Johan - good but slow beater, relic hummer, condition remover (Hi Asami, hi Douglas, hi Kaeris)

A&D - if strategy, not OURS and non-condition. Good place for Leveticus, support for constructs, heavy beater and may summon

Terracotta warrior - swap upgrades and defense for low-def beaters

Other - your choice. Leveticus very flexible and you can find your own diamond.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Mrbedlam said:

Teddies have df 3, its a death sentence. 

I think that's the reason for a Metal Gamin to go with each Teddy. That puts them at Df6 as long as long as they keep their Metal Gamin buddies close by.

I think this puts Levi in kind of an odd situation for unburying since all of his Anchors will want to be all up in everyone's grills.

8 hours ago, WWHSD said:

I think that's the reason for a Metal Gamin to go with each Teddy. That puts them at Df6 as long as long as they keep their Metal Gamin buddies close by.

I think this puts Levi in kind of an odd situation for unburying since all of his Anchors will want to be all up in everyone's grills.

Its not too bad if you need him up the board for undercover entourage though. 

22 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

Is there a dual faction [not Outcast]/Gremlins construct and would one that exists count for the hiring pool?

As said, there isn't a duel faction gremlin construct, but if there ever was one, it would not be a Non-gremlin construct so could not be hired by Leviticus with Pariah of Iron.

Misaki is always an outcast master for the friekorps Librarian even in a ten thunders list, and McMorning can't hire Lazarus even in a resser list because he is still a guild master. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2018 at 11:32 PM, Mrbedlam said:

I've found him surprisingly decent in both Supply Wagons and Public Execution.  In Supply Wagons, if you take a construct heavy crew along with Vanessa, you can have the marker over the line turn 1 by obeying A&D, which frees you up to only play denial game.

In Public Execution, the rest of your crew can be getting the conditions off the kills (Peacekeepr, Hooded/Pale/Mech Riders) while Levi plays the denial game of killing whatever has the conditions of your opponents.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Mrbedlam said:

I've been considering this list:

Levi (Iron, Scout Field, Deso Souls)

2 Waifs

Hooded Rider (Oathkeeper or Bigger)

Sue (return Fire)

Midnight Stalker  <-------- This is the swing slot for schemes

TC Warrior

2 Aboms 

I'd recommend dropping the 2 aboms for a single more beefer model.  I think you should create Stalker as a stable (cause let's be real, he's insane and at worse is counter-scheming the hell out of your opponent) and use those 8SS as your swing slot.  I recommend maybe Hans + Scout the Field, librarian, or trapper or 2 void wretches (slightly better scheme runners) or necropunks (much better scheme runners)

Granted, if you're just using them for card draw/jump-placepoints for Levi than ignore me

1 hour ago, Davos said:

I'd recommend dropping the 2 aboms for a single more beefer model.  I think you should create Stalker as a stable (cause let's be real, he's insane and at worse is counter-scheming the hell out of your opponent) and use those 8SS as your swing slot.  I recommend maybe Hans + Scout the Field, librarian, or trapper or 2 void wretches (slightly better scheme runners) or necropunks (much better scheme runners)

Granted, if you're just using them for card draw/jump-placepoints for Levi than ignore me

Stalker isn't always good (Ply for info is a good example or any non scheme heavy pool. He's amazing in others though). Aboms are there as convenient card draw and to provide activations so that I get the best use of Stalker and Levi. Getting that extra 2 cards on turn 1 or 2 can be a game changer in a list like this. Hans or a trapper are definitely in consideration as are void wretches, but honestly Stalker gets almost all the schemeing you need.