How many eels... And eggs?

Saduhem

So.... I'm already backing this project up as a dual Commander plus oodles of add-ons from cult and hordes. I was going to pledge to the Planet Apocalypse  Kickstarter this month but the more I think about it, and the more my girlfriend talks about it, the more I want to put those funds into this game and either go tyrant or at least pick a third faction.

Anyway, since Devouring Eels are 50 bucks a pop, depending on how many I need, this might affect there final decision. Has anyone tested these babies out to see how often they summon another copy of themselves?

Also... How many egg clutches?

I've never played Gibbering Hordes, so take this as a bit of TheorySide based on my experience with the game as a whole. ;)

Split in Two, while great, doesn't feel like a necessary part of the Eel's playstyle. Perhaps if you find yourself with 4-5 Reinforcement Tokens (not unlikely if your opponent doesn't try to kill or Pin it) you'd use it, but otherwise it seems like a big risk to strip away its best defense for a turn. In any case while you might get two on the board, you'll almost never have the time/tokens to poop out a third. So if it were me I'd buy two, but wouldn't be upset with one if I couldn't otherwise afford it. 

As for Eggs, they're a very cheap filler unit who can be eaten for Glory, and can be summoned by Karkinoi (although they'll probably be trying to kill things most of the time). Given their disposable nature I suspect two...possibly three would be enough: 1-2 to deploy with your company (who'll then likely get eaten within the first few activations), then a third in case the Karkinoi decide to sit around summoning eggs for a turn. 

The good thing about eggs is that they'd be really easy to scratch build if you wanted. So you could buy one or two official minis, then model up a few more just in case you need them. 

• Agree 1

I mostly agree. I would take two Egg Clutches, just because they are summonable (I'm not quite on board with hiring them, you have units for that that can come back and do something useful later in the game), but you propably can use a third if you are lucky or leave some on the board. For the eels, take one if you want to, but I would skip the second for now. Summoning them is nice, but will propably not happen often, and 50$ are a lot of money for that.

It depends on how much money you have available and how much you want to take advantage of the kickstarter. You can just play the game, and if you find yourself summoning eels left and right, buy more later. They will be available at retail. And until then, just use a proxy. Same with the eggs. Take some, and if you find yourself needing more, buy some more.

• 2 months later...

Old thread but with the backerkit coming to a close its worth mentioning a neat interaction with the Eel and Horomatangi.

Horomatangi can yell at the Eel to generate 2 reinforcement tokens. Also effects that happen at the same time to the same friendly unit are done in the controlling players order.

The Eel deploys near something it can devour to flip to Glory. During the upkeep phase, the Eel generates a Reinforcement token. Horomatangi activates before it and yells 2 more Reinforcement tokens onto it.

The Eel activates, and on activation it flips to Glory. It now has another activation ability, Split in Two. Thanks to the 3 Reinforcement tokens, it can Split in Two on the first turn.

Nice way to offset Horomatangis 3 scrip deficit by getting another Eel.

• Like 1

I’m considering bumping my 3 eggs to 6. I’ll likely hire 2, but I’m guessing my first Karkinoi order will be move and lay eggs, ending up with 5. A sixth in case I get the trigger to lay multiple eggs.

The thing with eggs is they’re your main source of reinforcement tokens, and those are very important to Hordes.

i wouldn't pay scrip for eggo's, there are cheaper things to eat in the ocean (like barbed crawlers at 3 fireteams for 4 scrip), though their "anywhere on the field" is a great way to reinforce in deep combat. also, glory eggs give you free out of activation movement (does take quite a bit of anticipation to be properly executed though). but still, keep a few eggs around in case an idle karkinoi decides to poop one out. and there are only a few occasions for hiring more than 1 eel. but just in case someone decides to completly ignore the eels ability to split i would keep an extra around if you can mis the 25 bucks. or if you're gonna use loki's nice combo (hadn't thought of that but i guess it works ^^)

The Eels ability to replicate shouldn’t be ignored though. It takes little effort, even without Horomatangi, to get three reinforcement tokens on it. Kill things with the constrict, eat an egg clutch, activate near speckled Crawlers or even just use Relics of Old Malifaux.

Not having a second Eel for the eventuality that you can get a second just st seems like a waste of the potential you’re paying for.