Resurr Shadow Boxing

mo11usq

It is time for another! How would you approach this?

Game #2: Shooting Gallery

Opposing Faction: Outcasts

Deployment: Standard

Strategy: Symbols of authority

Schemes: Punish the weak, Set up, Take prisoner, Public demonstration, Vendetta

5aac5344a69af_MalifauxTerrain.thumb.jpg.a0b19d38fc27d0ac512eb0c381b710ba.jpg

• Thanks 1

Public Demonstration and Take Prisoner look like ideal schemes for bringing along shieldbearers. Shieldbearers want you to spend stones, so that pushes us towards henchmen, making punish the weak public demo with 3 shieldbearers seem like a good idea. I'm probably not going to come up with a list, but Reva, Archie, Vincent and 3 Shieldbearers would be my ideal core, but i don't own Archie so i would probably run the Valedictorian or Anna Lovelace instead. Players looking to use Vendetta should probably use Hayreddin, who can target a lot of models thanks to his low cost and has a good chance of killing them, plus his flight will allow him to make use of the severe terrain all over the board.

• Like 1

I like this list to try and live the dream:

Spirit Molly w/Datsue Ba, Madame Sybelle, Carrion Emissary (Carrion Conflux), Necrotic Machine and 3 Belles.

Lure one of your opponent's enforcers+ (and if you super live the dream itll be your Setup target) across the board to be within 4" of all 3 belles, score public demo. If you happen to get your Setup target Lured - Datsue Ba puts up her aura that when a friendly non-Peon spirit model dies put a scheme marker in base contact. Molly summons a drowned within the aura which dies instantly giving you 2 markers for Setup, them summon another or place a marker otherwise.

With schemes out of the way early/able to do them easily you can then focus on the Symbols and denial - I took the upgrade that reveals your opponents schemes so you'll know what you need to do.

Best your opponent can do is avoid LoS with the Belles, but with Sybelle calling one and companion activating that gives you flexibility to catch someone out unawares. 20% chance or less to do both schemes Turn 1.

• Like 2

They could uae some form of counterspell to be immune to the lures though. If facing ressers or neberborn in a pool with that scheme combo you really need to consider that possibilty, otherwise you can more or less count on giving up six VP.

28 minutes ago, Nukemouse said:

Other than guild and arcanists is counterspell really a thing? I cant think of very many examples.

I mostly play guild and arcanists so I just assumed other factions had something similar. Sue at least gives negatives but that isn't always worth much. In neverborn I would probably lure my own models back and.create terrain to hide my models.

More importantly I would never allow public demo and setup in the same pool in any of my tournaments which solves the problem of 6VP in onefell swoop. ;)

• Dr. Dufresne (5 Pool)
    • Plastic Surgery
    • Guild Coroner
  • Zombie Chihuahua
  • Aionus
    • My Little Helper
  • Philip & The Nanny
    • My Little Helper
  • Sebastian
  • Dead Doxy
  • Rotten Belle
  • Necropunk

Opposing Faction: Outcasts

Strategy: Symbols of authority

Schemes: Punish the weak, Set up, Take prisoner, Public demonstration, Vendetta

Thoughts:

• Most Outcasts I play draft Tara into Symbols, so I'm trying to pre-empt that with this list. Not doing the Test Subjects-Raptor-Marshall combo since they will be a bit useless against her.
  • Aionus is a big investment, but other masters that are possible here can use Bury mechanics; such as Levi and Viktoria. In addition to threatening buried models, Aionus can hand out fast to everyone but the Dr., and can be very useful in scoring as well as denying Set Up.

Schemes:

1. PtW: With a Master and 3 Henchmen, picking this scheme is viable. The crew has 3 minions and a peon to counter it.
  2. SU: Dr. can put down 3 SMs and score this within her activation, and Aionus can activate late and reposition/flip some enemy ones. Philip and Aionus can deny enemy SU.
  3. TP: Not planning on taking this one. Some of my models may be a liability here. Could swap in a Nurse to make this scheme more viable.
  4. PD: The 3 minions add up to 15 so it's viable, and with Leaps/Lures/Take the Lead it shouldnt be too hard
  5. V: My recipe is to settle for 2 points, and put it on a Belle and an enemy model I know is too valuable to leave back.

Seems like this might be a good game for Seamus again. Maybe something like: Seamus w/SR, DYKWIA, and AKA; CCK; Cassandra; Madame Sybelle w/BT, NTBU; Angelica, 2 x Rotten Belle, 2 x Performer.

9 activations, 9  Lures(ish) if needed (2 from each Belle, 1 from Cassandra w/Understudy, 2 Siren Call from each Performer) With a possible 2 more from Sybelle if she whips the Belles and has the Mask for the Comply trigger though this isn't ideal or probably even necessary- she would much rather whip Seamus or just whip enemy models, or even a Performer to get it moving up the board to pick up Symbols (Whip/move, push from Angelica, walk, Interact) which they can do starting from 16" away pretty reliably with Don't Mind Me. The are also cheap and expendable and Seamus can summon more if needed. 

For Schemes, as above Set Up and Public Demo are the obvious choices. With this many lures (or lure like abilities) and options for dropping scheme markers this should be easy to nail down first turn. After that almost the whole crew is expendable and can still pull things out of positions to disrupt the opposing crew while getting their markers with Performers.

If Seamus gets a chance to summon then Performers and Doxies are the choices- Doxies to push yours/theirs, Performers if the manage to kill the starting ones to help get the Strat.

• 2 months later...

Its been a while, my attention is starting to turn back to 'Faux and I need to start chipping off some rust. Get me up to speed people.

Game #3: Open centre with flank obstacles

Opposing Faction: Arcanists

Strategy: Ours

Schemes: Guarded treasure, Set up, Inescapable trap, Recover evidence, Public demonstration

101271394_Malifauxmap.thumb.jpg.9844b0588a3e3dcb5f411717bb8fc464.jpg

• Like 2

I don't have a lot of experience against Arcanists so I'd just build a crew focused on scoring my own schemes as opposed to denying theirs. I'm also only using models I own.

Seamus (SR/DYKWIA/RCK) (7ss cache)

Copycat Killer

Valedictorian

Yin (MLH)

Dead Doxy

Necropunk

Necropunk

Rotten Belle

I'd take public demo with 2 necros and the doxy try and score it early, there's a lot of terrain for the necros to hide behind/leap over. I'd send Valedictorian and Yin up opposite flanks by the centerline to hold table quarters or challenge my opponents quarters, both are quite tanky and hard to remove. I'd maybe have them doing guarded treasure at the same time. Seamus and CCK would be porting around the board trying to murder stuff or put points in whatever quarter needed it, and summoning in more belles/doxys where possible. Instead of Guarded Treasure I may take Inescapable Trap which I find quite easy to do with 2 necropunks. The belle would primarily be luring the opposing models into the centre or re positioning mine.

50ss:

Kirai with Unforgiven and Swirling Aether

Datsue Ba with My Little Helper and Spirit Whispers

Goryo 

Dead Doxy

Crooligan

2 x Rotten Belles

Flesh Construct

You'll absolutely be doing public demo with this crew, but your second scheme can be any of them. Basically the whole game plan is to choke up the board with Seishin and get an insane amount of activations (this crew can be up to 13-14 activations end of turn one) so public demon becomes criminally easy. Then, because of weight of numbers, scoring the rest of your VP should be a cake-walk. There's a reason Hamelin's still in the top 5 most powerful masters.

• Like 1

Okay, as I find time to sit and think about this I realise that the pool includes both set up and public demo again. Sigh. Proof positive that I just generate and post these things without really paying attention. I'll be more thoughtful next time.

This scheme combo was essentially autotake for resurrs, and I doubt things have changed. However, arcanists access to warding rune counter spell aura is a serious matchup consideration. I also always assume I will face mage trio.

Despite this I still think I would take horror Molly (arcanists can be relied on to have lots of casts) and a belle crew.

I would run: 

Cache: 7ss

Molly: Forgotten life, take back the night

Madam sybelle: not too banged up

Rogue necromancy

Carrion emissary: generic conflux

3x rotten belles

I would try to play a defensive game. This generally makes scoring things like set up, demo, and evidence a little harder for the opponent. The north and east deployment zones have choke points and the opposing zones are relatively open. I would chose one of these if I was made to deploy first. Deploying second makes it easier to position my crew for effective T1 luring so i would probably chose this option given the choice.

The rather obvious plan is to lure in something for public demo and set up T1. Anticipate henchmen and master being immune, but there should be an enforcer to snag (e.g. a mage). The number of lures with + flips, sybelles upgrade and movement tricks makes this highly reliable and resource-lite. Tbh it is a bit excessive, and a belle and/or sybelles upgrade could be swapped for other things.

Molly and the emissary should get me to at least 9 activations for turn 2. From here we rely on Mollys summons the emissary and the rogue to take down enemies, and maybe sybelle can peonise something but her ap is usually for repositioning. I brought the rogue for its + flips and ability to get extra ap. Without philip, any card efficiency I can get helps. The belles pull enemies out of scoring zones/away from treasure or into clusters for Molly and blasts. I would want to try and use the hazardous fountain to do some work for me, and keep in mind the option of summoning drowned.

Playing this strat defensively makes us vulnerable to being swamped by an aggressive force, denying my strat points, who leave a low cost model or two behind to score theirs. The hope is that by getting 5-6 vp early we can focus on denying enemy scheme points so even if they score 4 for strat we are still up.

• Like 1