Wild Boars - convince me?

wobbly_goggy

Even with the price drop are they worth it? Ever?

I am mainly a gremlin player, but focusing on my Arcanists  at the moment, mainly Marcus. So I have all the gremlin  masters and one Arcanist  I can use them with.

I like the swampfiend  theme with Zoraida or Marcus, pigs of all varieties are always cool with Ulix...

But they just seem too squishy and not good enough at anything to justify the points which I could spend on something else.

I have maybe tried one or two once when Ulix was first released and never since. 

Am I missing something? Are they great? 

Any Marcus players having a sneaky look in this forum please help too. ..

I like them.

Not as a staple for every list but more like a tech-choice for certain opponents. You can use them to counter your opponents "from the shadows"-deployment, if they deploy first.

Or you can use them to distract your opponent with early agressivness. I don't find them that squishy. I mean 8 wounds for 5ss is a bargain (+ they can heal and eat enemy scheme markers). they have a really good charge and a decent dmg-spread.

They are by no means one of our strongest units but they can catch your opponent off guard and I had decent results with them.

• Like 3

Zoraida now loves Wild Boars. The key differences between the boars and other pigs are from the shadows and the ability that gives :+fate outside of their activation. Zoraida can now obey these guys to make a T1 charge and if you add McTavish to the crew he can then shoot into the combat that they charged into at Sh7.

In Ulix crews they are harder to find a place for but can be fun in a non-summoning crew build. I have used one as a Ulix taxi that he can then prod to make attacks with :+fate:+fate  

• Like 2

With the price drop they are a bit more viable. Still not really a fan as they suffer a bit from a conflicted design of From the Shadows and Out of Activation bonuses (if you use the former the latter is delayed until the Master can reach them). I tend to think a mid-field deployment is more advantageous than a deeper one as it provides more options and can offer some protection before they are committed.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I use one every once in a while, just like @Davie said. If I suspect my opponent is bringing a sniper or I'm planning to deploy my whole crew together and don't want to leave a flank exposed, I get a boar to deploy from the shadows. I don't even bother much with keeping it under control. 8wds 5ss means he won't easily die in a single activation and he will most definitely keep enough enemies busy to justify its cost. 

But then again, I'm fan of cannon fodder tactics ( that's why I love playing gremlins :lol: )

• Like 3