Condition removal?

DanteJH

Hello fellow bayou dwellers! I’ve been playing a lot of resser recently and noticed that they get a lot of work done through negative conditions. Just recently my whiskey golem was neutered because of a hanged and there was nothing I could do about it because I didn’t have condition removal!

my question is, what condition removal do we have? I can only think of throw in the mud but I’m not a huge fan of mctavish or mancha and don’t like the idea of spending their ap on it 

thanks!

7 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

Big Brain Brin: Needs an 8, 6 inch range, can work on friendly of enemy models. Gives a buff when used on friendlies.

Johan: Needs a 4:ram and ends all conditions on the target. Can work on friendly or enemy models.

I don’t like either of those options if I’m honest, an 8 is an above average card and johans is just unreliability at best, surely we have something else?

4 hours ago, aquenaton said:

I think there has been announced all the condition remmoval we have in the faction, so if you want more options, the answer would be to bring a duplicate of the model affected to still fulfill the role :P

Yep - that is indeed it. I've been worrying about this recently myself, and have come to the conclusion that we're just a "Condition removal-poor" Faction, I'm afraid. 

BBB: 7ss, needs an 8, 6" range. Meh.

Mud Toss: 10 or 12ss, needs a 6, 8" range. Not bad, but it means that either Mancha or McTavish must be in the crew, and they're both big ticket items. With whom you'd rather be killing, than daintily running around supporting the much-reduced rest of the crew. Good models in their own rights tho, of course.

Johan: 8ss, needs a 4:ram, 10" range. The best option, sadly (for pure condition removal), and that's why I was gutted about his recent price increase. He's a big hitter tho, which helps. Still - only 2ss more than Mancha + Mud Toss... But Trixie could always "Lure" Johan up to 18" towards the enemy to get stuck in.

Thing is, Condition Removal is huge in GG2018: both "Ply For Information" & "Public Executions" utilise Conditions for scoring, and those Conditions can just be removed by Johan et al.

Does this now make us think seriously about taking Johan in every other list? I'm not sure. I'm leaning towards Mancha, because I want to keep it green, but there's definitely an increased value to Condition removal now, so I'm pretty damned envious now of cheap pieces like Witchling Stalkers & the Arcane Effigy :(

47 minutes ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

Yep - that is indeed it. I've been writing about this recently myself, and have come to the conclusion that we're just a "Condition removal-poor" Faction, I'm afraid. 

I don’t think that Gremlins are “condition removal poor”. They seem pretty average to me.

Arcanists only have two in faction options for condition removal. Arcane Effigy has two inch removal from friendly targets only and the Medical Automaton has a :melee1 attack that has an “on damaging” trigger that will remove a condition. The trigger is not built in and mininum damage is 2.

Brin may need an 8, but he also gives a pretty nice buff to friendly models. 

Mud can be used as many times in a round as you have :tomes (or stones) and Gremlin hit points to spare. 

2 hours ago, WWHSD said:

I don’t think that Gremlins are “condition removal poor”. They seem pretty average to me.

Arcanists only have two in faction options 

I didn't say they were the only Faction that's lacking Condition removal options. Sounds like Arcanists aren't all that well off either, but let's be honest: the Arcane Effigy's removal is automatic, even though it's only for a 2" range. And it's on a 4ss model. Bargain.

I'll grant you that the Medical Automaton isn't flash for condition removal. It looks alright for removing conditions for friendlies, because it has a couple of tricks for placing next to them. Also, the 2 min dmg will usually be reduced by Armour. And in that case, you just need a low Tome. Also, a very cheap model, so it's pretty good at looking after its own crew, which really is what it's meant to do.

Anyway - this isn't a contest. I'd like to see something along the lines of the Arcane Effigy within Gremlins - or even a cheap voodoo witch doctor Gremlin doing similar things to the Automaton - but it's not necessarily a bad thing if a Faction has its weaknesses. Maintains differentiation between Factions, and means you just have to work around it.

17 minutes ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

I didn't say they were the only Faction that's lacking Condition removal options. Sounds like Arcanists aren't all that well off either, but let's be honest: the Arcane Effigy's removal is automatic, even though it's only for a 2" range. And it's on a 4ss model. Bargain.

I'll grant you that the Medical Automaton isn't flash for condition removal. It looks alright for removing conditions for friendlies, because it has a couple of tricks for placing next to them. Also, the 2 min dmg will usually be reduced by Armour. And in that case, you just need a low Tome. Also, a very cheap model, so it's pretty good at looking after its own crew, which really is what it's meant to do.

Anyway - this isn't a contest. I'd like to see something along the lines of the Arcane Effigy within Gremlins - or even a cheap voodoo witch doctor Gremlin doing similar things to the Automaton - but it's not necessarily a bad thing if a Faction has its weaknesses. Maintains differentiation between Factions, and means you just have to work around it.

I think most factions are sitting about where Gremlins and Arcanists are.

There isn't that much condition removal in the game. I think that Guild and Ten Thunders are probably have the most access to condition removal while Outcasts and Neverborn are at the bottom of the heap. I might be missing something and I'm leaving out models that only remove specific conditions. 

Outcasts have Johan.

Ten Thunders have Monk of Low River, Chiaki

Ressers have Chiaki 

Guild has Lady Justice, Witchling Stalker, a lot of Family models can remove conditions from themselves, Hoffman's and Lucius's totems can remove conditions from the crew's leader,

Neverborn have Mysterious Emissary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fair enough - I wasn't sure of how much the other Factions had. Looks like Guild are the big winners here, especially with the Witchling Stalker - 5ss, needs a 3+:tome , 12" range. Pretty good.

@DanteJH one possible way to approach this sideways is to take Lenny, as he's immune to all conditions. He's very different in application to the Whisky Golem tho, so this suggestion may be of no use. Still, if you can get him upfield, and keep him healed, he could make a good beater against the Rezzers.

13 hours ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

Fair enough - I wasn't sure of how much the other Factions had. Looks like Guild are the big winners here, especially with the Witchling Stalker - 5ss, needs a 3+:tome , 12" range. Pretty good.

@DanteJH one possible way to approach this sideways is to take Lenny, as he's immune to all conditions. He's very different in application to the Whisky Golem tho, so this suggestion may be of no use. Still, if you can get him upfield, and keep him healed, he could make a good beater against the Rezzers.

Even though he’s one of the first models I ever got, I really don’t like him. He’s been good but never 9ss good. Honestly, I think he really could have used a buff

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WWHSD said:

Ten Thunders have Monk of Low River, Chiaki

Neverborn have Mysterious Emissary

For removal of condition on friendly model, TT also have Low River style on Shenlong/Sensei Yu as well as the 0 ability on 'conflux of dawn' for the emissary (and that will draw you cards)

Beside Scion (mentioned by Loki), and dreamer (thx enternalvoid, and the best with tome on empty night is that you can redo the action for free another time!) NB  also have Serena Bowman and, if by miracle you took it/switched to it, could shed Malifaux Provides upgrade to prevent a condition to be applied and draw a card.

3 hours ago, DanteJH said:

Even though he’s one of the first models I ever got, I really don’t like him. He’s been good but never 9ss good. Honestly, I think he really could have used a buff

Yeah, I know - he's problematic. Has a lot going for him, but at that price point he's a little slow, and a little fragile. He already took a nerfcuddle tho, so I'd be surprised to see a buff in the pipeline.

15 hours ago, Cadaver_Junkie said:

The Gremlin Crier has effective condition removal for schemes and strats based conditions.

I'm definitely taking one (paired with an Iron Skeeter) to the next tournament, although I'm considering painting up a second one...

Good point - that's a kind of sneaky Condition "masking" effect, that could result in removal if you do it right.