February Chronicles

Lucidicide

Chronicles 34-1.jpg

Check out this brand new Chronicles, full of goodness! Click on the image above to get it from DriveThruRPG for free!

• Starting Malifaux on a Budget – the Outcasts: Need to build a new crew on the cheap? Get top-notch advice about putting together an Outcast crew!
  • A Look into GG2018: A quick rundown of the newest Gaining Grounds document and what to expect.
  • Never Look a Gift Kentauroi in the Mouth: Being a Guild Guard is not a good job in the best of times...
  • Iron Painter 2017: Check out the winners of last year's Iron Painter.
  • Building a Gaming Board - Part One: A hobby article looking at building a winter-themed game board.
  • Elements of Matrimony: A Through the Breach one-shot adventure involving a wedding and the planner getting arrested.
  • What Lies Beyond: Two famous Earthside explorers find out what it's like to go into the wilds of Malifaux.
  • Be Mine: A Malifaux story encounter for finding true love for up to 4 players.
  • Like 9

Overall I liked this issue of Chronicles, but one of the stories really stuck in my craw :(

Specifically, Gift Kentauroi. It started off very well with the Guardsmen trudging along, and the ending third was well executed (especially him lost and wandering, being funneled down hallways by the sounds of things best left unmentioned). The part I took issue with was him listening in on the alleyway conversation. I really feel like the mention of soulstones and embalming fluid by themselves should have piqued his interest, especially since both are described as highly regulated in trade. The whole repetition of  "ILLEGAL ILLICIT ILLEGAL UNDERHANDED" felt super-contrived, and by itself turned the protagonist from "an up and comer whose ambition led to his downfall" to "a credulous idiot who got everything he had coming".

I think it would have gone much better with the two alleyway conversationalists playing it straight. I actually didn't mind the orange cloak - it wasn't obviously the kind of elbow in the ribs that the conversation was, and provided a useful story tool for the protagonist to follow.

On 21/02/2018 at 3:28 AM, Pyrflamme said:

Overall I liked this issue of Chronicles, but one of the stories really stuck in my craw :(

Specifically, Gift Kentauroi. It started off very well with the Guardsmen trudging along, and the ending third was well executed (especially him lost and wandering, being funneled down hallways by the sounds of things best left unmentioned). The part I took issue with was him listening in on the alleyway conversation. I really feel like the mention of soulstones and embalming fluid by themselves should have piqued his interest, especially since both are described as highly regulated in trade. The whole repetition of  "ILLEGAL ILLICIT ILLEGAL UNDERHANDED" felt super-contrived, and by itself turned the protagonist from "an up and comer whose ambition led to his downfall" to "a credulous idiot who got everything he had coming".

I think it would have gone much better with the two alleyway conversationalists playing it straight. I actually didn't mind the orange cloak - it wasn't obviously the kind of elbow in the ribs that the conversation was, and provided a useful story tool for the protagonist to follow.

I figured that was the point. The whole conversation, as it read, was baiting any Guild nearby. Even the Guardsman thought it was a weirdly detailed conversation to be having out in the open on the street.

3 hours ago, -Loki- said:

I figured that was the point. The whole conversation, as it read, was baiting any Guild nearby. Even the Guardsman thought it was a weirdly detailed conversation to be having out in the open on the street.

Well, what I was trying to get at was that simple mention of fluid/soulstone trade seems like it'd be bait enough, but the way it was written took it to ridiculous extremes beyond my ability to swallow, with constant harping on what they're doing is illegal.

If I saw a cup game coming up on the sidewalk and I walked by two men loudly discussing how to beat the cup game, I would not think "golly, now I can go win some money!" I would think "associates trying to round up marks". The fact the guardsman opted to follow them even after reflecting on how ridiculous the conversation was, makes him an idiot rather than a tragic figure.

EDIT: To be clear, I don't dispute the "bait" nature of the conversation. I'm saying that the way the conversation as currently written is extremely obvious and poor bait, and doesn't serve the rest of the story (which I liked) well.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2018 at 9:28 AM, Pyrflamme said:

turned the protagonist from "an up and comer whose ambition led to his downfall" to "a credulous idiot who got everything he had coming".

13 hours ago, Pyrflamme said:

an idiot rather than a tragic figure.

I liked this story. Outside of the narrator's thoughts, there was no indication that he was anything other than some rube fresh off the train set up to take a fall. Just because he hoped to be A+, #1 Lead Investigator didn't mean the reader needed to share his delusions. ;)

• Like 1