Jump to content
Pantoporos Aporos

Holy cow, that was a lot of minis to assemble!

Recommended Posts

So yesterday I finally decided to sit down and assemble the minis from Puppet Wars Unstitched. I didn't think I was going to get through very many of them, since I'd never assembled miniatures before, but a beer or two and a few hours later, I had gone through all 4 sprues (am I using that word correctly?) and assembled all of the puppets!

I figured I'd leave this post here, in case someone like me (who is interested in the game but intimidated at the prospect of cutting, sanding, and gluing miniatures) ever stumbles upon this thread.  Putting these puppets together is really not as bad as it sounds. Sure, some of the puppets have some tricky bits (looking at you, crow's feet and electrical cord tail), and the Death Marshals are an absolute pain in the ass, but the vast majority of the puppets are very straightforward. And there was very little need for "green stuff" putty: just one puppet's ponytail (Misaki?) that had a large gap to the rest of the head, and a Death Marshal that I did an awful job on.

All it took was a lazy Sunday, some tools (a sprue cutter, hobby knife, plastic glue, and very fine sand paper), and some patience.  Not so bad at all.  Now it's on to find some sleeves for the cards, and paint the bases for the different players, and it's onward to try the game (hopefully next weekend). And I'm really looking forward to painting these puppets!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Pantoporos Aporos said:

Now it's on to find some sleeves for the cards, and paint the bases for the different players, and it's onward to try the game (hopefully next weekend). And I'm really looking forward to painting these puppets!

A great tip I picked up over the weekend - rather than paint the bases, slot them inside Wyrd's 30mm translucent bases. They sit snugly inside apparently.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, gribble said:

A great tip I picked up over the weekend - rather than paint the bases, slot them inside Wyrd's 30mm translucent bases. They sit snugly inside apparently.

Good tip! I actually meant to say "paint 30mm lipped bases", but if Wyrd's translucent bases are lipped, that makes life easier. I thought I had seen a photo of them that showed them not to be lipped, but I may very well be mistaken.  I'll check them out, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Pantoporos Aporos said:

Good tip! I actually meant to say "paint 30mm lipped bases", but if Wyrd's translucent bases are lipped, that makes life easier. I thought I had seen a photo of them that showed them not to be lipped, but I may very well be mistaken.  I'll check them out, thanks!

Doh! I just realized that the photos I had seen were of bases stacked inside each other. Well, then, looks like a couple of translucent packs will go on my next order...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to help. I was pretty impressed by the tip myself, and happy to pass it along.

Also glad to hear the assembly doesn't take long. I've had the box unassembled for a while now dreading putting them all together... been too daunted by the prospect of assembling so many models.

But I played my first game of PWU over the weekend at Bonescon (that's where I picked up the tip - thanks Dave!), and had a blast. That gave me the extra inspiration to finally assemble the game, and now I know that it isn't so hard and doesn't take too long I have no excuses. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×