behavior in tournament

TeddyBear

Question

Sounds banal, but, for example: in tournament my oppo don't know my master x that have impossible to wound; with his model y he attack my master with focus, as a result of duel my oppo will flip with + on dmg. And he choose to spend his Red Joker from his hand.

Does he wasted his Rj?

I should tell him that he's makes a mistake for sportsmanship?

What Happened?

Often in little meta happen to play with same people, and often we all know each.

Thanks

6 answers to this question

So you're basically asking whether to be polite, considerate human being or not?

GG18 document page 2 on Sportsmanship:

In Gaining Grounds tournaments, good sportsmanship is not only expected, it is required. This means that all players and the Organizer are to behave civilly and respectfully at all times. Players must be open and honest about the rules of their models.

As per that you remind them of the fact beforehand. If both of you forget however, RJ is not wasted because why would it be? You say he's not allowed to cheat that, he picks the RJ back into his hand.

If I think there's a "gotcha" rule on my model I mention it to my opponent before the game and during if it seems relevant, assuming they're not familiar with the model in question. That to me conforms to the somewhat vague rule of "being open" about rules of my models. No one wants to win on a gotcha.

If something occurs where one of you flips more cards from their deck than legal, usual procedure I've seen most people follow is take the card back and reshuffle their draw deck.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So in this case your opponent focused so that they could cheat a damage flip against your master without realising they had Impossible to Wound?

The rules of the game are public information, so everyone should know what each model can do but of course there are too many to memorise so it comes down to etiquette. In cases like this I think it's good to remind your opponent before they flip if you think you know what they are doing, so since focus is often used to get a cheateable damage flip, I would remind my opponent if I remembered.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TeddyBear said:

hahaha after all, i have a teddy as image..what did you expect? 

no, actually, i got that doubt, because i thought about "anna's cruel rule" and i'd read in this forum, that (models wich would be illegaly pushed or moved into :aura stop at its edge) someone explain that if this push or movement was "an action" the action fail in tournament, is wasted and generally you don't remind to your opponent this thing. 

The complicating factor in the other thread is that it's the result of an action after a duel has been resolved, so it's really difficult to go "Whoops" and let the player undo it--both players have flipped cards, etc.  On the other hand, it's really easy to say "You can't cheat that flip, put your card back."  You can't erase the knowledge of the card, but it's what can be done easily.

On the other hand, in that other thread the better response would have been "If someone declares something that you know the effect is going to make pointless, stop them and remind them of the effect before they commit."

So you can wonder at the degree to which the other thread was incorrect.

But the complicating factor is "How difficult is it to catch the other player before they commit?"  Consider that 'Focus and shoot' sequence.  When they declare Focus, do you know they're going to shoot the Impossible to Wound model?  If you don't know that, how can you warn them that they're setting up to do something that won't work?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

So you're basically asking whether to be polite, considerate human being or not?

hahaha after all, i have a teddy as image..what did you expect? 

no, actually, i got that doubt, because i thought about "anna's cruel rule" and i'd read in this forum, that (models wich would be illegaly pushed or moved into :aura stop at its edge) someone explain that if this push or movement was "an action" the action fail in tournament, is wasted and generally you don't remind to your opponent this thing. 

i thought, was the same thing in my case, but i having always done like you said and so i said to myself "maybe i'm wrong?"

Thanks for all replies!

The other situaion is more of a sportsmanship matter, you aren't strictly forced to warn someone and after they have flipped for an action they were allowed to take you can't really undo that so the discussion becomes if sportsmanship forces you to tell hen before flipping even if the actual action and flip are legal to do and have the effect fail.

In this situation they are trying to cheat a card when they aren't allowed to cheat. The only reasonable way to handle that is to remind them it isn't allowed. It is unfortunste if they have time to eveal the card but they made a mistake and you get the advantage of knowing the card they cheated is in their hand.

If they mention focusing to cheat the damage against the ItW model before flipping any cards I would feel forced to remind them that will never happen. Ifthey have made the flip for the attack duel it's too late for them to go back two ap and cards have already been flipped based o them using focus so that's their mistake. Ifthey realise it before flipping anything I usually let people "undo" stuff like focus and get their ap back but I'd say that's more than the base requirements of sportsmanship.

• Like 2