McTavish - Git' Em

lazarus

Question

Hey,

so yesterday i had a game with Lady J against Zoraida with McTavish.

McTavish activated and focused to get the Swallow Whole trigger of and cheat in severe damage against the Lady.

I had the Badge of Office Upgrade still attached to her and still had stones to prevent some damage.

We weren't sure if the damage would be reduced to 0, if trigger still would have gone off and killed Lady J (as i didn't have 2 cards in hand at the time).

Unlike most other trigger wordings (including other instant kill triggers) the Swallow Whole trigger doesn't go off after damaging, but after "inflicting severe damage".

Does it still instantly kill a model if the model reduces the damage of the attack, or is it purely triggered off of the damage(-card) choosen?

2 answers to this question

Because it talks about a damage category, that won't be changed without a rule that changes the damage category.  (Like Nyx's Weakness would make you inflict Moderate instead of Severe damage.)  Severe +/- 2 is still Severe.

Based on the FAQs for things like McMourning's Organ Donor, it doesn't matter whether the damage is prevented when the effect references "inflicting" the damage.  Model A inflicts X damage whether or not Model B suffers that damage or suffers Y damage.