Is Mechanical Rider viable under GG2018?

Baskakov_Dmitriy

Hello! I plan to attend a novice-tier 35ss tournament this weekend. The prize pool looks very tasty, so I would actually like to win it if possible. :) And I am trying to find a good combo. The tournament simply uses current GG2018 rotation. 

Here is one of the roasters that I am considering.

Do you find it viable? What exactly to do on the first turn when the Rider cannot summon yet?

Declared Faction: Arcanists 
Leader: Ramos - Cache:(3+3=6)
- Vox Populi 1ss 
- Leviathan Power Core 1ss 
- Arcane Reservoir 2ss 
- Brass Arachnid 4ss 
- Mechanical Rider 12ss 
- Union Steamfitter 6ss 
- Mobile Toolkit 3ss 
- Malifaux Raptor 3ss

The combo is very slow, it is intended to shine since around the 3d Turn, and its full power is only released at the 5th Turn, but long games happen at novice-tier tournaments.

• The Brass Arachnid reactivates the Mechanical Rider.
  • The Mechanical Rider is used to summon Metal Gamin (2 per Turn)
  • Union Steamfitter activates when a tasty card is seen and makes us a Scrap Marker
  • Ramos summons spiders, places Strike markers and shoots occasionally
  • Mobile Toolkit gives the Rider +flips to damage. 
  • Malifaux Raptor is used to hit a friendly model to look at the top deck and look for good cards, because this build is extremely card hungry. 

On turn 2 I need: 11 Tomes for Ramos, 10 to reactivate, 8 Tomes for the Rider to summon and 8 Tomes again for the same purpose, 2 cards for the Steamfitter to discard, 1 card for the Mobile Toolkit to discard, and perhaps 2 low cards to cheat damage, so Malifaux Raptor and perhaps even the Rider can hit Ramos to help with the cards: the Rider by using the "draw a card" trigger and the Raptor by looking through the top 3 cards. 

Pretty much the same on turn 3, but the Rider needs just two 8s instead of two 8 Tomes. 

What we draw: 7 cards at our hand at the start of the Turn, 1 card by the Rider's trigger, and the Raptor allows us to reorder 3 more cards. 

As for me, this would be interesting if our enemy would just sit and watch, but the foe likely won't. Any ways to improve it?

Looking at the strategies, you will have a hard time in Ours, as you have only three models that count. Symbols may be possible, as the rider can go and take some, being safe(ish) in the process, but that makes the frontline problem (see below) even worse. For Ply you have three models that can do it, plus spiders the turns after they are summoned, while giving you enemies at least three models they can ply, without being able to ply back. Plus all models summoned that turn. For Public Executions, you lack a bit killing power, and spiders are a nice target for that. Supply Wagons may be ok again, due to the rider.

I like the Rider/Steamfitter combo, but you need the Steamfitter for scrap for Ramos, so no Armor there. That leaves you with a model that wants to essentially hide until turn three, a support model, a summoner master and three peons. You really lack a front. You may make due with spiders for a turn or two, but turn three at the latest, your enemy stands in your midst. Also, when you damage Ramos for cards, he will not last very long, as he has only ten wounds. On that point, the trigger on a rider just works on enemies.

I would really think about the peons first here. Do you really need a toolkit when you have the Steamfitter? Is the steamfitter the right choice here? Do you need the Arachnid? You want a model or two that stands tall and lets you survive the first two turns in order to get the spider factory going.

If you want to take the Rider, which is not a bad choice, I would propably skip the Brass Arachnid, the Toolkit and the Raptor, and take something like Joss. Then, when on turn three he finally should go down, you have enough spiders to carry you through the rest of the game.

• Thanks 1

Your list is very focused in 1 direction, and whilst it may well work very well if your opponent doesn't try and stop it, I think most of the time you are not going to be able to get the cards you want. The raptor trick is not very likely to work well after turn 1, as it will order the next 3 cards, and then your opponent activates anbd may or may not make you flip those cards during their turn. 

Also a lot of your plan is quite static. The brass arachnid can't move if you want it to not need a high tome, which will then tie down the mech rider a lot. 

Its probably got a good chance of winning against players that don't expect it, but I don't think that it is likely to beat an experienced opponent. 

In summery, its a list that has a strong plan A, but I think it is very linear, and will struggle against a quick opponent who puts pressure on you in the early turns, because you don't have much room to adapt to your opponent. 

• Thanks 1