Are all 30mm lipped bases equal?

Pantoporos Aporos

Newbie with a question here:

I'm on the market for a few 30mm bases that will accommodate the smaller bases from Puppet Wars: Unstitched, as I have read that those slot right into 30mm bases (sort of like an insert, I guess). But, and here's the newbie question, do all 30mm lipped bases have roughly the same internal diameter? I know that Wyrd makes their own bases, but those seem to be out of stock everywhere, and are a bit expensive. I've found some 30mm bases (by "Confrontation" or "Kromlech", for instance) that cost $1 to $2 for a pack of 10, so I'm tempted to go that way. 

Thanks in advance for your help,

PA

Strictly speaking, the answer is "Maybe not", because each company producing them might potentially use different dimensions for the lip and the interior.

On the other hand, both Wyrd and Privateer Press's bases are close enough that I can't tell them apart without looking at the logo on the bottom.  And the MicroArts bases use similar dimensions, presumably for the obvious reasons.

But, as someone who has tried playing a game on a very nice table mat using puppet wars figures stacked on bases like that, stacking the bases like that can be a royal pain in the butt. :(  You'll need to find something to stick the bases together, either sticky tack or magnets or something.  

1 hour ago, solkan said:

Strictly speaking, the answer is "Maybe not", because each company producing them might potentially use different dimensions for the lip and the interior.

On the other hand, both Wyrd and Privateer Press's bases are close enough that I can't tell them apart without looking at the logo on the bottom.  And the MicroArts bases use similar dimensions, presumably for the obvious reasons.

But, as someone who has tried playing a game on a very nice table mat using puppet wars figures stacked on bases like that, stacking the bases like that can be a royal pain in the butt. :(  You'll need to find something to stick the bases together, either sticky tack or magnets or something.  

Thanks - "maybe not" is close enough for me :lol:  I"ll buy a few cheap 30mm bases to paint (so that each player can easily tell which puppets are theirs), and if they don't work, I can always buy the Wyrd bases later. And thanks for letting me know that the bases don't play nice together.  I read of people using rare earth magnets for this, and I have a stack of them lying around somewhere, so I might go that route (I also have some sticky tack, but that seems a bit messy for a game night).

To be fair, the hassle concerning the base stacks not staying together isn't that bad, but it's one of those "If you're in a loud room trying to play a game on schedule, ..." frustrations.  :mellow:  But something like poster tack would probably work fine to hold the bases together long enough to play.

I just forget that people buy the figures to play Puppet Wars, instead of using them as a cheap way of getting a lot of Malifaux models.  ^_^

If you're planning on playing Puppet Wars, it would be worth making or buying two or three sets of colored bases so you can do stuff like drafting puppets when choosing crews.  So picking up a lot of cheap bases like that is definitely a good idea.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CannibalBob said:

I have bought resin bases from a variety of manufacturers over the years and the inner diameter of round-lipped bases seems to be pretty much exactly the same from most manufacturers.  If there is a difference then it is minor enough that you are unlikely to notice.

That's good to hear. Thanks!

16 hours ago, Clousseau said:

The Wyrd bases have a slightly different external profile that makes them easier to pick up.

And that's very good to keep in mind. Thanks, all!

To elaborate a bit more, the main companies that I have bought round-lipped bases from (for both Warmachine/Hordes and Malifaux) are:

Dragonforge Design

MicroArt Studio (normal resin and also the base-insert sets they produced with Cool Mini Or Not)

Secret Weapon Miniatures

Dark Age - their insert range

The round-lipped bases from each of these ranges are similar enough that once painted you cannot really tell the difference.  DragonForge and Secret weapon in my experience are the easiest overall to work with.  There are very rarely any bubbles, flash, casting artifacts, or defects from either of these companies.  In addition, these two companies tend to keep the bases fairly flat - which really makes it a lot easier to position models onto.  The only real clean-up I do to these bases is to smooth the round edge out a bit with some fine-grit sandpaper and to wash them with soap to get mold-release agent off of them.  Sometimes I will add extra adornment to the bases if I want something fancier.

MicrArt bases tend in many cases to be fancier and more detailed, but they also in my experience need more clean up.  It is not rare to find bubbles or flashing on those bases.  In addition, MicroArt also tends to use more vertical elements on their bases - which can at times make some of them difficult to position models onto well.  I tend to modify a number of MicroArt bases in many cases to allow the model to fit better.  But, they look great when you do that.

Currently, I am using a mix of MicroArt and Secret Weapon bases for my Malifaux crews.  For Gremlins I like the Wood Theme from Micro Art - which just has random planking slapped together into some sort of shanty look.  And I also use Secret Weapon Blasted Wetlands for swamp dwellers and beasts - like Pigs, Gators, etc.

For the rest of the factions I am using combinations of the MicroArt Cobblestone, Triad (cobblestones with building debris), Old Factory, and Secret Weapon Town Square and Sewer ranges.

• Like 1