Sensei Yu

Bumpasses

I rarely hire Yu into a Shenlong list. Shenlong gives most of the support I need. I find it hard to pay 11ss for more of the same unless schemes really cater to it. Take Prisoner, Entourage and three marker schemes all in one pool is something where Yu has a decent chance to make into my list. Most pools though make me feel I'd be better off hiring a couple of scheme runners or a good 'n proper beater with that 11ss.

I'll elaborate my stance a bit in that pools where I'd pick somewhat less support-y Shenlong are pools where I'm more likely to pick another master entirely. If I was doing solo Shenlong for whatever reason I'd probably be more inclined to add Yu in more often. Shenlong has a few fun things going for him when thrown into the thick of it and it's nice if that can be done without sacrificing the use of Wandering and Low River styles at crutch moments.

So like several people have already said, I don't run Yu a lot in shenlong anymore.  I used to run him constantly, but I find that I don't need to share styles that often, which is Yu's biggest draw in my opinion (next to giving shenlong fast).

I've begun to tailor what I bring to the faction.  If I'm facing neverborn and expect a lot of condition shenanigans like a pandy or something, I will bring Yu for being able to cycle low river style for more condition removal, for instance. Laugh off is a great ability and with crime bosses, he's a solid take against rezzers to make a heavy list that has a lot of healing and can't be repositioned easily. 

I feel right now I have three main "build outs" of shenlong and that affects yu taking as well.

If I intend to be playing a more defensive game with having my opponent come to me or meeting midtable, then I take misdirection, wandering into high river and yin.  No Yu here, as my goal is to first turn position, second turn dive Shen in to tie up what needs tieing up and or heal what needs healing.  Shadow is preferred for the upgrade healing swap and card fixing.

If I'm going to be playing an aggressive get in your face build, I'm going to take misdirection, wandering and yang.  yu is here because I'm going to immediately cycle wandering post initiative and give shen fermented river.  I sometimes take an obsidian or high river (now) to get a point of burning on shen, then bop him with my peasant to get a poison.  Then dive him in hard to try to take out a priority target before swapping to high river style. Being able to charge twice potentially depending on target selection is pretty insane when you can ditch a card for 3 attacks. 

My more support build and I may just take servant, wandering and yang, and just swap around as needed.  yu is going to be optional here depending on my opponent's faction and the scheme pool.

I find yu can hang back and just be a style bot for strats like ours, supply or symbols, then repurpose turn four or something like that to get fasted for a 21" walk into a 0 interact with stored focus. This is great for getting last minute points on covert, surround or just flat out scoring undercover.  I've been able to score search by just 0 interact, walk interact.  He's a very versatile last minute squeeze play. Take prisoner is super easy with him.  Or if I'm trying to lock down melee beaters, pushing them away 10" and slowing them with yu is better AP efficiency then using shen, who could be healing or blitzing down another model or just tanking a few. With the more emphasis on slightly tankier pieces, he's a good candidate for smoke grenades (assuming no one else needs them) and just do board control and let him score points. He ply's amazingly well. He can push people into setup, trap or dig range... the utility of him in any list, much less a shenlong list, cannot be understated. It just comes down to how you feel about those 11 stones. 

Personally I think models like Yamaziko and Gwyneth are outclassing him a bit.  Yama gets emissary pushed and she has nimble, fast and 2AP.  16" vs 21" but she also can charge, deny charges and costs like 1/2 the points.  She doesn't have near the utility, but you get a whole other hire to help fill that out and 2 activations in the process. Gwyneth is just a tankier model overall, and while she doesn't bring a ton of utility, she brings that ranged scheme marker drop as well as card fixing and some clutch repositioning when needed.  It's not a guarantee, sure, but being able to shoot and brilliance someone then come play... that usually goes off. and she's only 8ss. Freeing up some much needed cache. 

At the end of the day, I don't think it's a "wrong" or "right" choice so much as a "do I like this or not" question.  The one exception to that and the only time I never at least consider Yu is in a killing pool. For 2 more points you get yasunori. There's not even a question here. 3-5 attacks at min3 with :+fate to the attack and a 10" flying charge?  or 1-3 attacks, min 2 no twists and no charge? Yeah, sorry Yu. Benched for that kind of round.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, InvokeChaos said:

Yeah, only you still get to use a 0 action :D which could be awesome. 

Which is kind of awesome:)  Copy mastery from Shenlong with Yu 0 (Disciple, if I remember the name correctly) to get your focus and whatnot (defensive maybe), run like Forrest Gump, interact for free dropping the focus!