Who has a black/grey or monochrome crew to show off, or something similar?

CapnBloodbeard

I'm starting to toy with the idea of a predominantly black/grey Friekorps crew (considering running my entire Outcasts the same way)....does anybody have any Malifaux like this I can draw some inspiration from?  Even fairly monochromatic in any colour.  I'm SURE I've seen some mainly black/grey crews on here before.....

How hard is it to get that sort of thing looking okay for somebody who isn't THAT great at painting?  Any  recommended tutorials out there?

If you're painting b/w, painting structure gets more important. This means spending more painting in how the materials reflect light etc.

I would not only youse blck and white and greys, but one tint of another color. Maybe sepia.

A very quick way to have a b/w crew would be to basecoat the miniatures with rattlecans. Black, grey from 45° and white from above. maybe you can skip the grey. This creates a nice zenithal lightning. Framo there you can work with glazes. (The issue with the structures is ignored).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/02/2018 at 1:47 AM, Butch said:

A very quick way to have a b/w crew would be to basecoat the miniatures with rattlecans. Black, grey from 45° and white from above. maybe you can skip the grey. This creates a nice zenithal lightning. Framo there you can work with glazes. (The issue with the structures is ignored).

This ("Zenithal Method") is what I've been playing with recently, as:

a). I'm cheap

b). I'm lazy

c). I don't really like painting, and I have little patience/talent for it :-(

Using cans is a bit hap-hazard (you can so easily overspray, or get large spotty areas of paint instead, if you're not confident enough with the pressure), and so I think an airbrush is recommended), but a couple of the models have made me think that perhaps I should just add a single highlight colour and call it done. 

Anybody got the word on which photo-hosting service to use? I'm uninformed. But I'll post up a few pics for you so you can get an idea of what even a rough & ready stab at this method can produce.

You can use zenithal highlights in your pre-shading and then use washes which utilize greys. basically, mix greys and put a bit of the color in you want. If you are going for sepia shades, try different browns for example. You should avoid just using black+white grey but opt for a colorful grey. You can get these by mixing complement colors too (though they can turn out as browns as well).