Good Old Rider

Impact UK

If you want a good model, the Rider is not what you`re looking for - he`s not useless and the cost drop helped a lot, but just compare him to our henchman, or the peacekeeper.

He doesn`t bring anything unique to the table and is not better in any role than other models in his or an even lower price class.

Shooting can be pretty annoying, it's just that people learned to flood their boards with blocking terrain to screw with :ranged attacks.

On a fairly open board where most of the terrain is severe or impassable non-cover or a board with plenty of vantage points shooting can be hilariously op.

7 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Shooting can be pretty annoying, it's just that people learned to flood their boards with blocking terrain to screw with :ranged attacks.

On a fairly open board where most of the terrain is severe or impassable non-cover or a board with plenty of vantage points shooting can be hilariously op.

Part of the issue is that vantage point rules are so bad that noone wants to play with them

19 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

Part of the issue is that vantage point rules are so bad that noone wants to play with them

We've had a pretty interesting graveyard board in almost all if our tournamets. It's made upp of mostly fences that are impassable but don't block shooting so there are plenty of places where you can shoot and be impossible to charge back without movement special rules. It's good for breaking up fixed lists.

23 hours ago, Ludvig said:

We've had a pretty interesting graveyard board in almost all if our tournamets. It's made upp of mostly fences that are impassable but don't block shooting so there are plenty of places where you can shoot and be impossible to charge back without movement special rules. It's good for breaking up fixed lists.

I have a couple pieces like that in my own terrain collection.  I'll have to work on getting that kind of terrain to the table more.  I'm sure all the Yaz players in my meta would like that too.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jchrisobrien said:

Tris and Trik and 4thstringer nailed it.  The "push 4 inches and drop a scheme marker" looks like it would be GREAT for Dig Their Graves, but then you're left with him doing extra damage on only one of it's attacks.   

You only ever do extra damage on one attack. The pale is the only riderwith therstriction that the triggers on it's attack can only be declared.once per turn so even if you manage to do some silly obey thing you're only ever doing 2/3/4 after that first hit. Ithas worse damage output than most 8ss henchmen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Governor-General said:

Does it have any play in Ours, given its survivability and high cost?  Literally just keeping it in the backfield, and by the time the opponent can get to it, it's reduction is too high?

Basically unless something really unexpected happens fight starts at turn 2-3. By that time u have 1-2 Rams that reduce incoming damage by 1-2 and with the ability to heal up u can give it a try. If at 12 SS cost Rider was pretty weak, now with 10 SS its pretty much good but situational. Its not a model which u will go every single game. If u survive and u will unless opponent flips red joker by turn 3 u will have very tanky with average damage scheme runner. Give it a try.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, im_open_to_suggestions said:

im going against the trend here and saying I absolutely love him with McCabe.  mid game glowing sabre hitting for min damage 3 without flipping a ram, extra wee pushes from McCabe's take this, nimble, regen, full box of tools

Even started slapping lead lined coat on him for some extra durability

But 4ss wastrel can get min 3 with the sabre while also dropping a low card of any suit to draw you a new one, potentially refreshing your hand. Not quite as durable though. :D I'll happily throw away a reactivating 4ss wastrel as an "alpha" turn one.

1 hour ago, Ludvig said:

But 4ss wastrel can get min 3 with the sabre while also dropping a low card of any suit to draw you a new one, potentially refreshing your hand. Not quite as durable though. :D I'll happily throw away a reactivating 4ss wastrel as an "alpha" turn one.

getting a wastrel into position for a turn 1 alpha would be an impressive feat.  ;)

I know the rider has a lot of stigma to him which is understandable as when he was 12 stones he was ridiculous, I just feel he really has a place in GG18 with ours, supply wagon, symbols.  he is a mobile, durable model that is ready to come into his own.

• Like 1

I don't dispute his durability or place, just remarkig that min damage 3 by turn 2 isn'tthat impressive. 

You should be able to push the wastrel about 12" just using McCabe and the emissary to throw upgrades to it before it activates (if McCabe has promises, otherwise you can get it further). One of the upgrades is of course badge of speed so the wastrel is nimle and you can put reactivate on it. That means the free walk of the wastrel puts it about 16" out of your deployment aka. Within charge range from the enemy deployment zone in standard deployment. After that you have two whole activations of ap. You do NOT want to do this if there are unactivated opponents neaby of course but the range isn'ta problem and you only need a few low cards with suits or ss.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ludvig said:

I don't dispute his durability or place, just remarkig that min damage 3 by turn 2 isn'tthat impressive. 

You should be able to push the wastrel about 12" just using McCabe and the emissary to throw upgrades to it before it activates (if McCabe has promises, otherwise you can get it further). One of the upgrades is of course badge of speed so the wastrel is nimle and you can put reactivate on it. That means the free walk of the wastrel puts it about 16" out of your deployment aka. 2" fom the enemy deployment zone in standard deployment. After that you have two whole activations of ap. You do NOT want to do this if there are unactivated opponents neaby of course but the range isn'ta problem and you only need a few low cards with suits or ss.

i tend to do the push tricks you mentioned, usually find myself pushing either an executioner or a thrall.

my comment on damage was to counter the statements calling her normal damage track lackluster (which it is) but adding the glowing sabre has a lovely effect with his additional rams.