Freikorps theme

izikial

Relatively sensible in theme purchase: (also known as other models with Friekorps)

Strong arm suit

Hannah

Lazarus

Friekorps Engineer

Anna Lovelace

After that you could easily justify any of the outcasts or other mercs following the story in broken promises

Personally I've not yet got Anna or the engineer, but the others are all decent models that at least are unlikely to be the reason you lost. 

Here is fixed crew that won recent tournament in Poland(and is doing surprisingly well in other tournaments):

50 SS Outcasts Crew
Von Schill + 4 Pool
 - Oath of the Freikorps (1)
 - Nythera Aftermath (1)
 - Survivalist (1)
Steam Trunk (3)
Hannah (10)
 - I Pay Better (1)
Hodgepodge Emissary (10)
 - Conflux of Conflict (0)
Freikorps Librarian (7)
Freikorps Trapper (7)
Freikorps Engineer (6)

(exported from CrewFaux)

Very good list for either supply wagons, public executions or ours.

5 minutes ago, Cedar said:

Here is fixed crew that won recent tournament in Poland(and is doing surprisingly well in other tournaments):

Very good list for either supply wagons, public executions or ours.

Emissary over Strongarm Suit? What does he bring?

Also @izikial - it's worth noting the Engineer isn't being released until near the middle of the year I think... so you'll need to proxy for now.

33 minutes ago, gribble said:

Emissary over Strongarm Suit? What does he bring?

Also @izikial - it's worth noting the Engineer isn't being released until near the middle of the year I think... so you'll need to proxy for now.

I have a better question for you: what does Strongarm even do besides being a big 10ss brick with mediocre damage?

Whereas HPE does a whole lot and has a more reliable impact on the game.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Seadhna said:

I have a better question for you: what does Strongarm even do besides being a big 10ss brick with mediocre damage?

Whereas HPE does a whole lot and has a more reliable impact on the game.

Well, I think it's pretty well established that SS is a great piece, especially in conjunction with VS. If you don't know why, then the forum search is your friend.

I haven't seen Hodgepodge with him before, so I was genuinely curious what it does in the list.

I would also look into getting the upgrades for Von Schill from the most recent book.  Either through the app, buy the book, photo-copy the pages from someone else book, or buy the upgrade card pack that accompanies the book.

I have not played Friekorps in a while, and I have not personally used those upgrades, but I have played the Friekorp a whole lot in both mk1 and early mk2.  They are also one of my go-to crews for teaching the faction as in small games they have neat abilities but nothing complex.  They are fairly straight-forward good generalists with a bit of an emphasis on durability and mobility - which is great for new players to either use or play against.  But the new upgrades look pretty potent to me - especially for the combat capability of Von Schill himself.

Also in the past, I found that it is still pretty effective and thematic to take some of the regular mercs.  Ronin and Taelor always fit well and are all-round useful.  The meta may have made them more or less useful now, I dunno.  But I expect that for friendly games those models will still be effective.

Strongarm is in fact the best tank you can hire. 

Hits hard in melé, with Ml 6 and 2/4/6 that can be upgraded easily in 3/5/7. It can gain :+fate to damage or ignore damage reduction. 

It can keep distance and shoot up to 12". The damage is not awesome (2/3/4), but can put slow on targets and su shoots with Sh7 (the only attacking stat over 6 in all the Freikorps crew). 

Is tough, with Def 5 and Armor +2 can deal with many attacks. 

But the best of him is the Augmented Jump. You can neutralize almost any troop of this kind by engaging them with something reasonably durable, but not Strongarm. He can simply charge any other side. 

Basically, Strongarm Suit is a tank that you can not avoid. You must destroy him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cedar said:

He has nice aura that causes friendly models near him to skip randomization when shooting into engagements plus he attaches a Shirt to Von Schill few times per game. 

Ah, ok, cool. I can see that being good. Will have to try it out when using a more shooting focused VS crew.

Yeah, Schill REALLY needs the most recent upgrades.  They make a huge difference to his capability.  

Honestly, you can simply add either Lazarus, Hannah or Strongarm and you have a reasonable place to start that can win games.  There are plenty of other units that are good additions that aren't Friekorps, but given Schill's most recent upgrade links in really well with other Friekorps, I reckon get one of those 2 models then go from there.  

The Friekorpsmenn are very average models.  Slightly hard to take down but they don't really DO anything, which is the problem.  They're not really quick enough to run schemes, outside of Schill's bubble they're only slightly tough, and they don't cause enough damage to reliably take down other scheme runners.  So if you need to split your crew, that's a problem.  People don't really use the friekorpsmenn much - they're not geared towards anything specifically.  People either prefer a cheaper scheme runner, or something more shooty to kill other scheme runners.  There are a number of suitable additions.

Of course, it isn't just the crew.  Tactics and managing resources (such as your cards) are critically important.  

Not fully thematic, but still:

VS (Engage at will, Nythera, survivalist + shirts)

Lazarus (oathkeeper, chain trinket)

Hannah (IPB, regen trinket)

HPE (conflux)

Librarian 

2 Desperados

Turn 1 - equip HPE stuff, attack lazarus to lauch him 12" into shooting position , chain activate. Move Hannah twice, focus, steal libr's cast, try to snipe some weak model.

Turn 2 - throw away foes from lazarus, shoot them, tear your shirt, chain activate, shoot more. Use desperados as scheme runners, although they are decent in melee 

17 hours ago, FunWithKnives said:

Turn 1 - equip HPE stuff, attack lazarus to lauch him 12" into shooting position , chain activate. Move Hannah twice, focus, steal libr's cast, try to snipe some weak model.

Turn 2 - throw away foes from lazarus, shoot them, tear your shirt, chain activate, shoot more. Use desperados as scheme runners, although they are decent in melee 

Why not copy assimilate to copy Lazarus's attack?

• Thanks 1