Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jesy Blue

The "Stone" Upgrades

Recommended Posts

Thalarian, Asylum, Philosopher's, Tyrant Echoes, Traveler's, Guardian, & Dragon.

Does anyone use them?  Has anyone ever used one?  Have you seen someone... anyone... use one?

The first and only time I saw one was Kirai using Asyum Stone, but that was back in the Crossroads days when everything was full of hope and anything was possible.

I really enjoy the universals across all the factions (Stone Upgrade, Effigy, Emissary, The Crossroads Seven models) and I see the other three often enough, but never the Stones.  I wish they were good.

What can be done to fix them?  Are they worth fixing? Is there a hidden trick that people are using?  Speak about it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been known to consider the Arcanist stone on Mei, but it generally comes down to do I want 2 cards or fast. (I look at it for other Arcanists as well , but they have (0) actions I already want)

From memory, the reasons the stones are like they are is due to the public beta of M2E where there was a vocal group of players who really worried about the durability of their masters since they were losing the ability to spend a stone and add a whole second card to their duel totals (that's what soul stones used to do!) so the faction stones were tried as a way to partially replicate that. As it turns out the masters aren't that fragile, so it is something that is rarely seen as worthwhile for those extra few points in a duel. 

For me the reason to pick the stone upgrade is if I want to (0) action , and I then have to decide if its worth not using the masters (0) actions and, often more important, their upgrade slot. And that's a huge opportunity cost most of the time, that I don't get back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would have better just adding 1 to prevention flips the holder makes.

Or allow a 0 pt heal for a stone.

Other than that fluff wise they seem as though they are clearly meant to represent important artifacts.

So it is a shame they were powered down in fear of O/P combinations which may have come to pass.

Even if they simply "got better" turn by turn or based on vp at least they might have been optional.

Of course the game is constantly growing and evolving with every release.

Which has become mildly concerning, so really hoping for a 2.5 with full errata rather than a 3.0 in the next year or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ludvig said:

I think I saw someone here use the Thalarian stone on Nellie once?

Oooh oooh, that was me.  I've done it a few times, in a list made to build up evidence.  It was better than I expected, though the ceiling on it's assistance was kind of sad.   My opponent was running a crew with a lot of attack values of 5 IIRC, so your mileage may vary.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

Oooh oooh, that was me.  I've done it a few times, in a list made to build up evidence.  It was better than I expected, though the ceiling on it's assistance was kind of sad.   My opponent was running a crew with a lot of attack values of 5 IIRC, so your mileage may vary.

Haha! I should have dropped your name, felt like a roughly 70% chance of turning out right. ;)

The average player is probably more likely to play stoned than play one of the stones. It would be interesting to see some new general upgrades for masters, some of them could be strong conaiderations for a dual faction master i which faction to run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Haha! I should have dropped your name, felt like a roughly 70% chance of turning out right. ;)

The average player is probably more likely to play stoned than play one of the stones. It would be interesting to see some new general upgrades for masters, some of them could be strong conaiderations for a dual faction master i which faction to run.

It definitely wasn't better than her other very good upgrades, but if you get tired of playing her with the standard kit, it can be a fun alternative.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would the addition of "This model may discard this card at any time to gain a SoulStone" to all the Stones be too powerful?

It's then technically free, and useable as It's still taking up a slot, so there's technically a cost. And in rare circumstances, be inaccessible when a Master only wanted Cache.

What about if you worded it so that it could only be used by the model itself? So not for damage prevention or boosts to other models?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Morgan Vening

It's doubtful it would be worth the slot even if it was essentially free. Maybe for someone like Lucius who rarely takes three upgrades in guild and can gain soulstones back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

@Morgan Vening

It's doubtful it would be worth the slot even if it was essentially free. Maybe for someone like Lucius who rarely takes three upgrades in guild and can gain soulstones back.

 

43 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

@Morgan Vening

It's doubtful it would be worth the slot even if it was essentially free. Maybe for someone like Lucius who rarely takes three upgrades in guild and can gain soulstones back.

I disagree with ludvig.  I think this makes it takeable while not an automatic take, which is wherever we should be aiming.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

 

I disagree with ludvig.  I think this makes it takeable while not an automatic take, which is wherever we should be aiming.

Hey, double quotes! :D

All the non-Lucius masters I can think of would still prefer their own upgrades or their faction's op autotake I think. 

Mei Feng, Marcus, Sonnia, Collodi, Zoraida, McCabe, McMourning, Schlong.

Maybe LJ could fit it in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Hey, double quotes! :D

All the non-Lucius masters I can think of would still prefer their own upgrades or their faction's op autotake I think. 

Mei Feng, Marcus, Sonnia, Collodi, Zoraida, McCabe, McMourning, Schlong.

Maybe LJ could fit it in?

I could fit with lj, Lucius, perdita and maybe (big maybe) Sonnia.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

I could fit with lj, Lucius, perdita and maybe (big maybe) Sonnia.  

Guild is also the faction known for their shit general upgrades. I don't see many TT masters taking this over recalled or misdirection and arcanists have imbued protection, imbued energies and seize the day which I would probably all consider strongly over this one. Neverborn can straight up reduce an extra damage for each stone used. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Guild is also the faction known for their shit general upgrades. I don't see many TT masters taking this over recalled or misdirection and arcanists have imbued protection, imbued energies and seize the day which I would probably all consider strongly over this one. Neverborn can straight up reduce an extra damage for each stone used. 

We are getting better about that though.  But most of those new better ones (Debt, LLC) are non-master.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×