Masters 2019 Community Feedback

Grez90

Masters 2019  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi all,

As stated on Twitter/Facebook I will be taking over the running of the UK Masters from MythicFox & Clousseau (thanks to both for their great work over the last couple of years).

What I want is to get the communities feedback on what they think is great about the Masters currently, what they feel are opportunities to improve and what they feel just needs to be got rid of (Bin, Bank, Build approach).

I want to incorporate all elements of Malifaux into the masters, from the gameplay to the painting talents of the community and so on. With that in mind please see the Poll's I have set up across multiple questions, please take 10 minutes out of your day to give me your constructive feedback (your opinion, and then your reasoning, not just "its rubbish, because I say it is").

Anything in regards to in-play experience I will already be working on myself (time display, card space etc.)

I thank you for your time in reading this and hopefully we can improve on what already is a great event.

Regards

Graham Bursnell

Quick breakdown of the reasoning behind my answers.

1. 16 man is fine, easiest to work out, clear winner at end. Most other game systems use this and I'm not sure why we should be different.
I can see an argument for increase but although the scene is larger I'm not sure it's large enough to warrant this change.
Also there's the prestige which I think if it went to 32 would be lost a little.
The only thing I've heard as a possibly OK answer is go to 20. 4 Slots being Nationals and the 3 GTs. 4 groups of 5.

2.  The criteria is good as is but I do like the suggested rankings score tweaks Kai made a while ago.
I think 4 is a nice place, we had people that went to lots of events but it was still little enough for last second dashes too.

3. I don't think the two events at once take away from each other. It's a lot more social and that also helps people with travel and accommodation too.

4. This is an obvious yes if someone is willing to take the time and has the gear. Why would we not want to spread the love, have a cool record etc.

5. Even though I took advantage of no, I'm still of the mind of "yes".
I'd be fine either way, I know it's Masters for gaming etc but it is meant to be as the Yes answer says, a pinnacle and surely we'd love nice coverage.
Also come on now. It's not that many models (start the fights now).

6. I'd like an end of year award for painting. However this needs some solid thought too.
On the subject, I also miss the end of year/season "best in faction", again, I realise that money is needed for prizes so understand the lack of it.

7. I think yes, although it's another reason the side event is needed.
It's an invitational and the people invited although not to the Masters TO have paid their way.
If I was told I had to pay I wouldn't be too upset but I think it's a nice bonus earnt for qualifying.

8. I said I would be willing. I like the option though and dislike it being auto-tacked on to the ticket price.
Again, it's more work for the TO but it's appreciated when it's there.

9. I had a great time finally playing the new GG. However I stand by the idea that if it's the masters of that season it should use it's GG.
There's an argument that "you'd still use the errata" but I feel that's a weak one.
Again, wasn't upset using GG18 but it doesn't feel quite right.

10. As per discussion on Twitter, I don't like the idea of being forced to play.
Also has anyone ever played out the 3rd place match?
For me, getting to watch the final was amazing and a weird reward in itself.
As per most other answers though, if I was made to play 2 more games after being knocked out on day 2 I'd not have been upset, but preference is getting to choose.

11. All the above.
Nice trophies. I'm cool with the food option and SWAG. It doesn't need to be much. Just a small token to say "I was there".
The key rings Dave sorted, I really cherish the masters one I have.

Again thank you to all who have ran these events in the past, I've enjoyed them all and cheers Graham for stepping up but also listening to the community, I reckon you'll do a great job.

Based on experience I feel strongly that the current 16 person format is ideal. 3 games on day 1 is sufficient and leads nicely into the day 2 knockout. Increasing numbers causes organisational issues, an additional financial burden on the event and takes away the exclusivity (?) of getting to the Masters.

For the idea of an elite painting award, I would suggest the UK Nationals as the field is so much larger.

Swag is always welcome, and I'm really pleased with the keyrings for the last 2 years, especially the exclusive ones for the Masters (you can't buy gold ones from Customeeple). Would like to see them again or see what Graham can come up with.

My memory isn't that good so I can't remember if trophies were ever awarded to 2nd/3rd/4th in the Masters. Be interested to see what people who finished in those positions feel about it. I'm hoping that the tradition of a cheap plastic crown remains :)

1.  16 Players works well as is, no need to change it

2.  It moved from 3 qualifying events to 4 a few years back and I think that works fine. You still need to perform consistently well at events to be in with a chance. Scoring 90+ at 4 events in a year with the number of players out there is no easy task.

3.  The side events are awesome for the community and should definitely remain a fixture.

4.  It would be nice to have media coverage if it's possible. The limitations of the venue will have an impact on this.

5.  I prefer the gaming to be the important part of the Masters. It's nice to have fully painted crews but I don't think it's essential.

6.  Difficult to judge effectively, as it's not clear cut like a game result. It would be nice to have the best painters recognised though, perhaps anyone achieving 4 or more Best Painted Awards in a year gets invited to display a crew at Masters Weekend and everyone in attendance has from before lunchtime Saturday until after lunchtime Sunday to vote?

7.  Definitely free, it's the Masters 'Invitational' after all.

8.  Not necessary unless there are no places near the venue that people can go.

9.  I think Open Faction GG2019. It does give any players involved in the playtesting an advantage but if you are in The Masters, you should be able to cope. Having Open Faction means that it will be harder for people to guess what each other are going to play.

10.  I've been knocked out at the QF stage twice now and have never been bored. Leave it up to the players to decide what they want to do.

11.  I put SWAG but I don't really know. Trophies are always nice. The Masters is more about crowning a champion than getting on the podium, so I'd probably just stick to first for that.

Martin

Feel current format works fine and is the right scale for scene.  

Wouldn’t have an issue with contributing to cost of venue, just because it’s invitational don’t see why masters shouldn’t pay there share.

open faction, I admire the tenacity of those that want to keep flogging  that particular dead horse but no thanks.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Soul Puppet said:

6.  Difficult to judge effectively, as it's not clear cut like a game result. It would be nice to have the best painters recognised though, perhaps anyone achieving 4 or more Best Painted Awards in a year gets invited to display a crew at Masters Weekend and everyone in attendance has from before lunchtime Saturday until after lunchtime Sunday to vote?

Martin

Not a bad idea

On 05/02/2018 at 11:11 PM, Clousseau said:

Not a bad idea

I also like this idea, should be easy enough to track. Also it seems (mostly) everyone agrees the events running alongside masters should still happen so it's not like there would be a situation where you'd have to travel to masters to just get a crew out.

2 minutes ago, Psientologist said:

I also like this idea, should be easy enough to track. Also it seems (mostly) everyone agrees the events running alongside masters should still happen so it's not like there would be a situation where you'd have to travel to masters to just get a crew out.

You could even send your crew with a friend if you couldn't make it.