Is there any way to convert characters from Malifaux to TTB and vice versa?

bigoc

I want to play hybrid TTB/Malifaux games, with my group. I want to create characters with the TTB system, and be able to use them in Hybrid Malifaux games. Is there a conversion system? Because the TTB profiles do not match those of Malifaux. Thanks!

269/5000

There is no conversion system. Btw TTB characters are pretty much broken, especially those who has fighter/mage pursuit. But u can use any Malifaux card and play it in TTB. There is a rule that allows u to do it. Average AV is character stat + SS cost. So if u attack Master model with AV 7 on cast, then it will always hit u with result of AV + Master SS cost which is 7+14 and this is brutal. But u must understand that game is not about being cool and kill everything u meet outside. If u want to kill then play Malifaux cause in TTB fighting options are very bad and always end up with either u run or hit enemy in the face. Characters often should run away instead of fighting.

Personally im using basic book characters and if i want to take something my own, like Necromancer model i make it stronger or weaker based on how many people are playing and what are my goals as Gamemaster.

TtB 1.0 had some pretty direct conversions of characters from M2E to TtB 1.0, and vice versa.  For the most part, you could use math to work out the missing attributes for most things.  TtB 2.0 has really moved away from direct translations between the games, leaving the stats as a starting point at best.

Personally, I think if you're trying to use TtB characters in a Malifaux game, you should be treating them as non-costed heroic characters that you're using in addition to the normally hired crew.  

So I dug put my The Fatemaster's Almanac (TtB 1.0) and looked up the conversion rules:  one page, no math provided, and pretty much goes "Use the version of the ability or effect for the game you're playing."

And there's a prominent disclaimer that:  "[This game] is not designed to be balanced in this context.  Indeed, it is slanted towards the Fated characters.  While it should be a challenge, if the Fated were to lose half of the time then it would be a very short campaign indeed!"

Also keep in mind that, for instance, the Rail Worker in TtB 2.0 has different actions and abilities than the Rail Worker in M2E.  

So, it's deiniitely possible, and in my mind it all comes down to how difficult you set the Fated's TNs for the abilities.  it's pretty simple to make something that would be weaker in transition stronger by just setting it's default flip a few cards higher.  Sounds silly simple, but it actually works pretty well, you just have to be willing to flex the rules to your purposes.

• 4 months later...

Necro-posting--sorry!

Anyone have good conversions for some of the named characters?  I'm more interested in some of our favorite people showing up in my TTB campaign than I am running a game of Malifaux with TTB Characters.  Although, if I were less lazy, I could just make the conversions myself...

• 5 months later...

I'd be keen to have some conversions as well.

Not for use in a combat setting but I seem to have managed to make Cassandra a contact point for the dates in my game. It's not a massive issue but more just a way to know if the bewitching skill works etc.

So if anyone has an idea how to get the characters physical and mental attributes from the derived stats in the card for the named characters, this would be awesome.

Otherwise, I'll just mash up things (like make the showgirls stats better appropriately then find skills etc that suit or rewrite them)

Cheers though.

Side point, anyone had templates for fatmaster character creations that look pretty?

43 minutes ago, Reynastus said:

I'd be keen to have some conversions as well.

Not for use in a combat setting but I seem to have managed to make Cassandra a contact point for the dates in my game. It's not a massive issue but more just a way to know if the bewitching skill works etc.

So if anyone has an idea how to get the characters physical and mental attributes from the derived stats in the card for the named characters, this would be awesome.

Otherwise, I'll just mash up things (like make the showgirls stats better appropriately then find skills etc that suit or rewrite them)

Cheers though.

Side point, anyone had templates for fatmaster character creations that look pretty?

I'd recommend a bit of reverse-engineering. The rank value for Fatemaster characters is on page 312 of the Core Rulebook. Start from there, using the character's rank in Malifaux as your first step. Here's a nice workaround: the Soulstone cost of the model is a good indicator of their rank value in the RPG. ;) 

Then use the Derived Aspects (pg. 79) to try and figure out the character's Physical and Mental Aspects. You have a bit of leeway to work with here; sometimes Skills define a Derived Aspect, sometimes an Aspect does. You'll just have to use a bit of your own judgment to decide which suits the character better. Bear in mind what Skills they'll need to use their Abilities.

If you can, find out which abilities a character has that are already available to a Pursuit or General Talent. You don't necessarily have to give this character the appropriate number of Pursuit Steps to get the Talents they need. Expunge is a lofty Chemist Pursuit Talent, for example, but there's a small chance that Douglas McMourning doesn't have seven steps in Chemist (or heck, maybe he does). The point is just to apply the correct abilities with the correct wording and Skill/Aspect combinations.

If it doesn't exist already in the Rulebooks, you'll have to use the Malifaux version and work out the kinks yourself, working with their descriptions in the model's cards and the Manifested Ability rules in the RPG. I recently converted Coppelius into a Fatemaster character (I'm intent on removing a Fated character's eye(s) as part of his Destiny to convert himself into more of a machine) and it wasn't too terribly hard. The Rank Value takes care of a lot of the dirty work, and I just filled in the gaps where necessary.