Looking for advice on putting together a crew list for upcoming event

Exinfris

2 hours ago, Exinfris said:

So pretty new to Malifaux and I'm lookingfor advice on putting together a crew list for an event that I'm attending on the 11th.

The event is 25ss, Henchman lead, up to 15ss for summoning.

Can anyone help me with a decent crew list, because I have no idea where to start.

What models do you have so far?  Or are you planning on buying models prior to the event based on recommendations?

2 hours ago, Exinfris said:

The event is 25ss, Henchman lead, up to 15ss for summoning.

How does that 15SS for summoning work? Are you only allowed to bring 15SS worth of models as a summoning pool to choose from or are you only allowed to summon 15SS worth of stuff the entire game?

Are there fixed schemes and strategies that will be used like there is in the Henchman Hardcore format, pulled from the full pool of Gaining Grounds 2018 , or something else entirely? 

Sensai Yu, Yas and Burt all fit in 25ss, if retaining friends isn't a priority.

Gwyneth, 2 illuminated and 2 tengu could be fun. It has card manipulation,a few activations, damage output and scheme runners. Maybe swap in a LRM for a tengu to get ranged marker placement and a heal. 

The ShEm holding the generic conflux and 2 obsidian oni would hand out some damage in the middle, then choose a henchman to lead it. 

I have precious little experience here so take this with a grain of salt:

The few times I've played henchman lead games, my opponents tend to bring either super utility to buff their heavy hitter, or a flat out heavy hitter hench. Because of the limited pools and such, it's just a lot to deal with if there's a nekima across from you. 

To that end, I'm not a fan of Toshiro with Sun Quiang is I don't like that you have no way of removing models. Via damage or otherwise. 

I will attest to Gwyneth being a nightmare to deal with in general and the double illuminated package works VERY well with her. I have only played her in full 50ss games, but throw equality or smoke grenades on her and she becomes a really tough nut to crack with her built in healing and flipping :+fate to :-fate for your opponent's attacks. She has a ranged scheme marker drop, and illuminated hit at 4/5/7 when attacking brillianced and are fairly tough on their own.  I would agree throwing in a LRM over the Tengu for heals and scheme marker dropping as well. 

If you want to go with Toshiro, just make sure to bring some form of beatstick minion that he can properly buff.

Fuhatsu might be an interesting choice now because of his drop to cost, and his Armor 2 with can't be lured or pushed. His gun is pretty insane. Crime Bosses are a new hotness for me if you have them available. 

Interesting to hear about Gwyneth.  She looks awesome and that looks like it would be a solid list.  I am actually attending the same event and was actually eyeballing a pair of crime bosses.  Be curious to hear your input on them.  My thought was a pair of them and 2 LRMs.  Maybe Ama for a leader since everyone should be able to see her and her damage track is high when attacking fragile conditioned models. She can also fly over the crime bosses on the charge and set up hazardous terrain.  Obey getting another Crime Boss Attack. Also she has a CA so when the Crime Bosses Call Unto Chi they can heal 4 damage just from the models in the crew.  

I like Ama no Zako but there's some things to note. Her obey requires a suit I want to say, but probably most importantly she's Ml5.  That can be a huge deal, or not a problem at all, depending. 

I really don't have enough good things to say about the Crime Bosses.  I've been running them a lot lately and they are just solid solid solid. Call onto chi is a great defensive ability when you're just a normal low wound model, but when you're a HtW enforcer with 9wds... it's amazing.  Obviously high mins and spikes are a concern still, but with all the casts we have in 10T, it's not hard to get him to heal 5+ in a single turn. I had one in a tournament recently get dropped down to 1 wd, then activate and healed to full. Add in the laugh off and their other tech and I just adore them.

• Like 1