Steamfitter - vast number of opportunities

Lokibri

I just want to say that i really, really love the steam fitter and what they do. Not only can they auto trigger their defense and buff things with armor and reinforced plates, but the ability to pick a card up is just crazy good. Also, the ability to drop scheme markers without interacting is crazy when choosing inescapable trap as a scheme.

In this post i just want to show you guys how much of an impact the steam fitter can have, when in need of high tomes to summon an ice golem or 3 spiders.

Please take a look and i will update this post with more utility the steam fitter brings us to the game! Feel free to discuss :D.

With some games under my belt with Ironsides and my new favourite Minion called Steamfitter, i wanted to get back to one of my most beloved crews and try them out with frozen servants giving raspy new spice and things to do in turn 1!

In this case, it is summoning! :D.

So, i tried to work things out for you all and calculate which probabilites we got to get the big guy on the table :).

Raspy's probabilities:

Summoning an Ice Golem: 38,5%

with Arcane Reservoir: 43,6%

without Arcane Reservoir but stone for cards: 48,4%

with AR und Stone: 52,9%

with DP:

Ice Golem: 45,9%

mit AR: 51,5%

Stone for cards without AR: 56,7%

Stone and AR: 61,4%

With each Action you can do in Turn 1 to see an additional card, the Steamfitters ability allows us to use those cards, as if they were „drawn“. In my theory you just keep skipping those cards, until the right one appears. Also keep in mind, that you should only do actions, that flip a single card, because -flips bury our good cards. So in this case i also suppose we flip single cards AND we only have to flip a maximum of 1 card in our enemies turn.

I will start with the highest count, which is AR + Stone for 2 more cards which is 9 cards deep:

Without DP (also usable for Ramos and summoning 3 spiders):

9: 52,9%

10: 57,1%

11: 60,1%

12: 64,1%

13: 68%

14: 71,1%

15: 74%

16: 76,7%

With DP:

9: 61,4%

10: 65,7%

11: 69,6%

12: 73,1%

13: 76,3%

14: 79,2%

15: 81,8%

16: 84,1%

I will end this calculation here at around 16, because i don`t think there is a way to see that many cards and still have a „realistic“ scenario.

This scenario can be approached via Myranda getting a blessed of december with imbued energies and maybe snowstorm casting 1 spell on his own minions just to push them and dealing no damage at all with a defense flip. If you plan to use ice pillars, the wendigo will add another card to your discard pile, but keep in mind, that decembers pawn could be one of those upgrades.

Myrandas IE 4 + Snow Storm casting 1 + defense 1 + ice pillars of wendigo 1 = 13 cards (14 with Arcane Reservoir/ 15 without AR but Stone for cards / 16 with stone for cards and AR).

So, in this case you can pretty clearly see what difference it can make, if you decide to pick up decembers pawn, not mentioning the anxiety you avoid knowing either joker is GREAT! So, in this case, we can be pretty sure, to have an ice golem on turn 2 at least. Given the new option of the steamfitter and the possibilities it gives you, makes it a pretty viable minion in a raspy crew and should be considered to be taken, even though it has no particular synergy with them not being gifted with a frozen heart :).

• Like 2

I dont get the intuition of december pawn being so powerful. Its marginal effect is sometimes almost ten percentage points but you are just changing one card in the deck. It seems to be more powerful than arcane reservoir for instance. I would have bet AR to be more effective.

Edited by Franchute

17 minutes ago, Franchute said:

I dont get the intuition of december pawn being so powerful. Its marginal effect is sometimes almost ten percentage points but you are just changing one card in the deck. It seems to be more powerful than arcane reservoir for instance. I would have bet AR to be more effective.

I can totally understand your surprise, because i was almost as shocked as you, when i found out.

The big thing here is 2 things:

1. You got 4 outs on the december`s fist (11, 12, 13, RJ). And you got 1 total disaster card (BJ). By taking Decembers Pawn you cancel the BJ out of the equation and add another out to your 4 possible outs. This is an increase of outs by 25%, which is HUGE! That added to the probabilities of drawing one of those cards results in about 8-10% average of getting your ice golem turn 1.

2. You will love the BJ for coming up at one of your flips, even when you flip multiple cards, it will always be the one on top. And therefore you will be guaranteed this card to be your card drawn with Steamfitters. And the probability of that case increasing its effectiveness isn`t even counted in, in the upper calculation.

So jeah, Decembers pawn has a very big impact on the percentage and i wasn`t a big fan of that upgrade (because it costs 2 Stones) until i did the math.

See you in the Bayou :)

6 minutes ago, Lokibri said:

I can totally understand your surprise, because i was almost as shocked as you, when i found out.

The big thing here is 2 things:

1. You got 4 outs on the december`s fist (11, 12, 13, RJ). And you got 1 total disaster card (BJ). By taking Decembers Pawn you cancel the BJ out of the equation and add another out to your 4 possible outs. This is an increase of outs by 25%, which is HUGE! That added to the probabilities of drawing one of those cards results in about 8-10% average of getting your ice golem turn 1.

2. You will love the BJ for coming up at one of your flips, even when you flip multiple cards, it will always be the one on top. And therefore you will be guaranteed this card to be your card drawn with Steamfitters. And the probability of that case increasing its effectiveness isn`t even counted in, in the upper calculation.

So jeah, Decembers pawn has a very big impact on the percentage and i wasn`t a big fan of that upgrade (because it costs 2 Stones) until i did the math.

See you in the Bayou :)

Interesting. I dont usually play Rasputina: I did not remember that you need especially a :tome to summon a golem. This indeed makes jokers more powerful.

Would you say that december pawn is useful if you simply want to spam attacks with Rasputina ? Or would you prefer to prioritize AR in this case?

14 minutes ago, Franchute said:

Interesting. I dont usually play Rasputina: I did not remember that you need especially a :tome to summon a golem. This indeed makes jokers more powerful.

Would you say that december pawn is useful if you simply want to spam attacks with Rasputina ? Or would you prefer to prioritize AR in this case?

I think it kinda depends on your playstyle.

If you really want to be in control of things and you find yourself oftentimes in a spot where you can almost calculate when which of those blasts go off or maybe even focus very often, then i would recommend picking up AR for sure.

If you are more the gambling player digging for those big hits and maybe even counting cards to activate raspy when your deck is running hot, i would choose DP over AR. When you really dig for a joker and maybe even cheat attacks down, just so you can`t flipp 3 cards instead of 2 i would recommend it. What i like most of this upgrade is the fact, that the possibility to really fail an important attack is close to being erased. But keep in mind: the BJ only counts for raspy to be the RJ. Every other model can still screw up. Having a BJ in hand and having this upgrade often lead me to a focused attack and a really devastating blow against my opponent. 7 dmg with double blasts isn`t something to sneeze at...well maybe afterwards, because you will definitely get a cold after the breeze ran over you :).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It's nice if you just want to spam attacks, as it increases the chance to get a "Red Joker" by 100%. That is the playstyle it benefits the most (outside of summoning, didn't think about that). Especially if you just spam into HtW/ItW models or with hard cover. If you use your attacks more precisely, focussing/double focussing to cheat damage, the effectiveness of this upgrade degrades massively. Keep in mind, it benefits Raspi and Raspi only. The more cards she flips, the more effect you get.

• Haha 1

Since i have one steam fitter it's certainly my auto take model with Ramos, Raspy and ironside ! (never try it with other master, but like we speack yesterday i wan't to test this guys in marcus and in Sandeep...)

Played the Steam fitter with Raspy + DP and AR... and he is really a cool model, but i'm not convinced by DP... (finaly i alway's prefer take the ML+AR item...) You're odds raise with DP... but the item cost of 2 is too important for me... Maybe at 1 ....