Damge reduction vs. damage prevention

Skylifter-1000

Question

Does the rule wording "damage from this may not be reduced" also stop henchmen and masters from using a soulstone to make a prevention flip? I.e., is a damage prevention flip reducing the damage, or is it preventing the damage?

Came up in a game against Misaki, where she killed Vincent St. Clair with her Thunderstorm blast (we didn't read the errata yet... now I have, I know she doesn't do that anymore).

15 answers to this question

7 hours ago, santaclaws01 said:

The only time negation pops up is in the rules for Poison, so it's either a hanging term that was never expanded on, or it's an artifact from the beta that was never taken out.

Wishing for an errata that changed that word from negated to prevented.  *dreams*

8 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Probably a third category but it couldbalso be a catch all term. :) Where is it referenced?

During the Upkeep Step, any model with the Poison
Condition suffers 1 damage that may not be reduced or
negated. After the damage is dealt, lower the value of the
Poison by 1

• Like 1

I believe the FAQ entry is in error. In the section above the excerpt from the FAQ states that Soulstones can be used against damage that cannot be reduced because damage prevention is different from damage reduction.

However, when you look at P. 47 of the BRB under the heading Damage Prevention it states "The player flips a single card, which cannot be cheated, and reduces the damage according to the following table:"...... bold/underline mine. This clearly states "reduce"... therefore should not be able to be used against an attack whose damage cannot be reduced. 

@thewrathchilde

The faq cannot be in error, it is a clarification from the designers on how they wanted a rule to work then they wrote it. There are several places where the faq doesn't seem to make sense according to rules as written but by definition it can't really be wrong. In this case I guess the wording on prevention is using the normal english word reduce rather than the malifaux game term.

5 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

@thewrathchilde

The faq cannot be in error, it is a clarification from the designers on how they wanted a rule to work then they wrote it. There are several places where the faq doesn't seem to make sense according to rules as written but by definition it can't really be wrong. In this case I guess the wording on prevention is using the normal english word reduce rather than the malifaux game term.

ok, got it. As I said in the Guild forum I will play it as indicated in the FAQ unless they publish something that states differently. It just seemed like a clear contradiction and something that (in the BRB) wasn't even slightly ambiguous. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thewrathchilde said:

ok, got it. As I said in the Guild forum I will play it as indicated in the FAQ unless they publish something that states differently. It just seemed like a clear contradiction and something that (in the BRB) wasn't even slightly ambiguous. 

It is a contradiction and not the only one in the faq. If you want it to make more sense think like I said above: other rules reference the game specific term Reduce so you go to that entry inthe rulebook. Soulstone prevention just uses the english word reduce which isn't affected by game rules saying it is forbidden to Reduce or use Reduction as they reference the game keyword.

• Agree 1