Brewie 2018

Nukemouse

New GG and errata seems nice for the brew crew. 3 moon shinobi can score public demonstration with ease, tanuki+akaname can give fermented or golem reactivate easily and fingers makes recover evidence almost auto 3vp. Despite all that killing and tankiness seem hard to get, plus if you take fingers its hard to fit those other big guys in.

With all the changes what strategies do you think brew should be played in? How will you change your brew crew? Can you help me lose less?

• Like 1

Well...try to ply for information, when there is a chatty fingers and a brewmaster with drinking contest online...it is just a PAIN! Same goes for Zipp with his constant yammering and the upside to it to throw people.

I would also consider brewy in public executions. Never underestimate the minus flips that he can grant + obey on a whiskey golem with reactivate. This boy hits hard! And even harder with those abilities to upgrade them.

I always lovedbrewie before, but now, he looks pretty playable!

• Like 2

I tried Brewie in public executions recently. 6 AP on schemes, 0 on strat. My opponent was playing viks and even though i ruined their alpha and trapped them in the nightmarish drinking contest bubble whilst swilled (my opponent was staring at the board with a look of horror) i still lost. The healing they had made it very difficult to kill them, even though i was doing plenty of damage it just wasn't in one big activation or anything. Perhaps Whiskey Golem would fix that for me, i don't own him.

To me, Brewie is in a good spot now, unfortunately a big chunk of his Upgrades are meh. But that's it.

If you play him in Gremlins, I will suggest:

- Mancha Roja, 'cause Challenge is awesome and beating is good; 

- The Sow: she can summon a bit and Terrifying + Smell Fear combined with your Wp debuffing abilities are pretty good; 

- First Mate: he helps to move stuff around and Scheme-running decently;

- Sammy Lacroix: she brings more control abilities and one extra Upgrade;

- Whiskey Golem, 'cause, as you said, you can make him Reactivate, healing A LOT and he punches stuff;

- Tanuki, Akaname (I don't like them so much, but that's me), box stuff to season.

If you play him in Ten Thunders, I will suggest:

- Whiskey Golem (as above);

- Tanuki, Akaname, box stuff (as above);

- Mr Tannen, 'cause I love him and he always gets his points back (especially when paired with Death Contract): usually you have a hard time passing Wp duels inside Brewie's bubble, wonder what happens if you pair it with a discard-before-cheating bubble ;) ;

- Ohaguro Bettari: in the right build, she destroys. No Df/Wp triggers within 6", good severe damage, unexpected charges (even more thanks to Obey);

- Ama no Zako, 'cause she's big, Terrifying and flies;

- Yin: she's a good tarpit for her points, puts on a bit of Poison, has Terrifying and a debuff vs Wp duels, what's not to love?;

- Yasunori, 'cause even with the point grow, he's still a monster;

- Shadow Emissary: his Conflux is meh, but can come useful from time to time. He's pretty good at making your opponents suffer 4 damage from Poison, good to take care vs spam lists;

- Izamu: hard beater, tanky, lovely model;

- Terracotta Warriors, to swap out Running Tab and take something useful;

- some other decent beaters, like Ototo (slow but you can move him around), Kang, Lone Swordsman.

If I remember something more, I will add it :)

• Like 2

Jorugumo and Dawn Serpent both have the potential to apply poison. Has anyone tried either with Brewmaster? Jorugumo's low base feels like it would love a swilled target, though i am less certain what the Dawn Serpent could potentially bring in synergy its solid statline has always appealed to me.

3 hours ago, Nukemouse said:

Jorugumo and Dawn Serpent both have the potential to apply poison. Has anyone tried either with Brewmaster? Jorugumo's low base feels like it would love a swilled target, though i am less certain what the Dawn Serpent could potentially bring in synergy its solid statline has always appealed to me.

They're not crap, but still, you're using 9 points for a Minion, while you can spend the same or even less for better models (in this particular case). To me, Brewie works better with cheap activations (even Shinobi) and then some heavy brutes.

I think brewie has always been in a good place, just underrun. Maybe because as a bubble master in 10T I don't think he's very solid.  We have no way to help "rig" initiative flips. And that critical model is usually enough to cause major damage if your opponent wins initiative. But as a swill/binge bot... he's insane. 

I've been looking at Yamaziko recently with Brewie. Swill makes her much more survivable, and her anti-charge allows you to play Brewie a little closer to the front. Plus she brings the very real threat of her 2AP action, which if your opponent is playing a more aggressive master, will cause mayhem. Imagine obeying/pushing Yamaziko up and she nimbles into range with a Master and just ditches 2-4 cards.  You win initiative next turn, she ditches 2-4 cards again. Then brewie goes, swills a key model and binges to remove the rest.  It's horrifying, and works much more often than you would think.

My standard brewie kit for upgrades is misdirection, binge and the new obey upgrade. I don't like running wesley very often, but if I do it's with running tab and TW to swap to misdirection. I think card draw is a thing for brewie however, so I like the wonder weasel, TW combo.  And gwyneth is a great piece with him.  Swilling a target you need to move out of position with come play at my table works pretty well. Plus she's tanky, card fixing and brings some ranged scheme marker placement.

Samurai are decent obey targets and great misdirection targets. Armor 2 and with favor of earth I think 9wds.  And brewie can obey them to shoot, and you just walk and heal them during their activation. I've been debating swapping this out to an obsidian statue which is also armor 2 9wds with an arguably better heal. 

Sue is good for his card draw and anti cast aura, as well as having a min3 ranged gun on + flips. Swill again helps mitigate his Sh5. 

Charm Warders are overkill but vanishing on brewie in the bubble is just silly.

I am really digging Crime Boss lately, and I like the continued manipulation of your opponent's fate. Swill to put them on negatives, fragile to put you on positive damage. Anything it takes to make the cards matter as little as possible.  Plus Crime Boss has hard to wound, self-heals, 9wds, can draw you cards... min 3.  It's just a really solid 8ss model.

Tanuki and Whiskey Golem feels too cute to me.  I mean, tanuki is only 5 pts, but to maximize the combo, you need to basically have another model drop a scheme marker next to golem, 0 action (or 1AP ) with brewie to get the poison 2, and then activate the golem to get the poison 3... do your thing. Then tanuki activates and gives it reactivate. It's either going to be a really solid tactic, or not going to happen as often as you need it too. As soon as he's out of range of brewmaster's melee or you can't use that 0 to push and poison 2, you have to use another model to grant it. Just... I dunno, seems a lot of work when I can just take an izamu and attack 3 times, then obey once... and i've got 4 attacks, just like if I had a reactivated whiskey golem. Have to get some table time with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know a lot of people don't like him but fuhatsu is really good with brew. Basically you try to have a poision on him every turn then you swill a target at range then obey fuhatsu to drop 5 damage of the min target, then fuhastu drops another 10 damage on his activation. This is very easy to do between fuhastu's SH 6 and plus flips and the targets inability to cheat (baring soulstones or abilities). I have deleted teddies and emissaries from the board this way in a single turn, it can be very strong if you put in the set up, which isn't that much for a malifaux combo.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, nschwier said:

I know a lot of people don't like him but fuhatsu is really good with brew. Basically you try to have a poision on him every turn then you swill a target at range then obey fuhatsu to drop 5 damage of the min target, then fuhastu drops another 10 damage on his activation. This is very easy to do between fuhastu's SH 6 and plus flips and the targets inability to cheat (baring soulstones or abilities). I have deleted teddies and emissaries from the board this way in a single turn, it can be very strong if you put in the set up, which isn't that much for a malifaux combo.

Nice one, I love Fuhatsu model and you're giving me reason to like him on the table. But he has a min of 2, how do you get 5 dmg on min? 

51 minutes ago, Nukemouse said:

I suppose you can also obey him to walk, not the most efficient thing but one of the only ways to fix his low mobility. If you draw a low mask and have binge, wesley could force fuhatsu to walk pretty cheaply.

With his Upgrade, he can walk for 5". Not so bad, even if he still miss any chance to work with 10T's many pushes.

I think Fuhatsu is in a much better place than where he's been. Previously I would have said Envy was a better take at 1ss less, similar damage track and the ability to freely hand out focus. But Fuhatsu is Armor 2 with HtW, 8wds and stones. Even at Df4, he's solid, just not unkillable by any stretch.

The SS reduction really helped in my opinion. He can be compared new statue who is df3, Armor 2 and not hard to wound. They have a similar can't be lured or pushed, but fuhatsu is rg 12, obsidian is rg 6.  Fuhatsu is a henchman, obsidian is not.  Obsidian is better for getting stuck in and the utility of pulsing away markers. Fuhatsu is just a ranged tank. They both have a heal. And both can bring some pain in different ways. But that's the thing, they compare now. Which is fantastic.

I think my biggest issue with fuhatsu is almost his entire back card is meaningless. The heal is alright unless you have a great control hand. With this new upgrade the push is nigh unto useless. His primary attack is solid, but without focus it's still a crap shoot and any sensible opponent won't let you have the straight flip (a reason to support Brewie being a good choice for him). His sweeping gatling is just horrible. Not being able to cheat makes that an utter waste of AP.  Again, you can pray to the card gods on a swill... but if you're opponent flips a couple of moderates and you don't, that's some salty salty tears. 

So basically he gets reduced down to a horror immune tanky mid range gun with a decent damage track.  Not bad. And with Brewie I think has some play. He makes a solid misdirection target and does more damage than a samurai for 1ss more.  Brewie's heal is better than his built in one if you have a solid hand. So there's some nice synergy here. 

I still think for 9ss I think I prefer Sue still.  He isn't as tanky, but brings card draw, a solid defense aura and a decent gun that on average will do more damage (min 3-4 with crit strike instead of min 2). Putting something on swill makes the sh5 not matter so much, it's got a built in positive and same range as fuhatsu. I think you could argue one vs the other depending on faction.  Versus rezzers/neverborn/arcanists I think i'd prefer Sue. Lots of nasty casts you have to be concerned about. Guild/gremlins/outcasts have high min damage so that armor 2 is much nicer. 10T depends on the master... 

• Like 2