#1 with a Bullet - A Perdita journal

jchrisobrien

After reading and learning lots of information from the forum, it's time for me to give back.  I've been playing Malifaux for three years (ever since the Great WHFB Migration of 2015) and enjoy casual and competitive games.  I started with Guild, had a brief flirtation with Outcasts and Ressers, but with the release of the Wave 5 models and GG 2018, I'm coming home to Guild.  This will be the first of a few threads where I talk about the Masters I'm using and the games/tournaments I attend.

Vs Amelia/Nicodem
50 SS
Public Executions, flank deployment
Eliminate the Leadership, Covert Breakthrough, Hold Up Their Forces, Show of Force, Take One for the Team (my schemes are in bold)

Perdita - Trick Shooting, Fastest Draw in Malifaux, Aura Ancestral
McTavish - Debt to the Guild
Francisco - Wade In
Abuela Ortega - Hair Trigger
Pistolero de Latigo
Brutal Effigy
Field Reporter
Enslaved Nephilim
2 SS cache

Amelia - Maniacal Laugh, Undertaker
Mortimer - Corpse Bloat
Carrion Emissary - Nicodem conflux
Bete Noir
Jaakuna Ubume
Rotten Belle
Crooligan
Vulture
5 SS cache

How it Went Down:  Perdita, Franc, the Pistolero, and McTavish (who joined the family) moved quickly up the center to put pressure on Amelia and try to eliminate her.  They got tied up with a wall of Hanged, Shikome, and Punk Zombies and couldn't reach their target.  The reporter stayed on the left flank to covert any markers my opponent dropped, but she was killed by Bete Noir and the markers were dropped anyhow.  Abuela held the right flank and cleaned out any corpses that came her way (a bell and a summoned necropunk)

Final Score: Perdita 3 (Public Executions 1, Show of Force 2) Amelia 6 (Public Execution 1, Hold Up 2, Covert 3)

Report Card: 
Perdita: (B+) She performed very well!  Lots of summoned models gave her plenty of things to kill and she had earned Shed Blood every round.  The only downside is that Shed Blood doesn't stack (afaik) so she can only score once a turn.  The added Wp on Family came in very handy, as did her Relocate to push out of combats and free her up to shoot or charge things. 

McTavish: (D) Poor McTavish ran afoul of some Hanged and a Shikome, and didn't get to do much killing before he died.  Mostly I was getting used to how his mechanics worked, and seeing if he was worth taking outside of Nellie.  I think the answer there is no.  He's just a bit too expensive now at 13 SS with Debt (and even more if you put Numb on him, which you'd want to). 

Francisco: (B) He was fine; earning Shed Blood three times before dying in the last turn.  We all know he's awesome, and he performed as she should.  He and Perdita work very well as a team: He gives her El Mayor and moves up, she relocates up to him and shoots things, then she is in place for El Mayor again.

Abuela (A) The more I field Abuela, the more I enjoy her.  Hair Trigger may not be great on a 6" range gun, but the Polite Pushes she gets from nearby models helps move into a position where she can unload.  One nice trick I did was using Listen Up on the Nephilim to Influence Abuela around a corner, where she rapid fired a rotten belle to death.  Good times!   

Pistolero De Latigo (F) He really underperformed.  I was tight on points thanks to McTavish, but I wanted another family member and I liked his Look Out ability.  I was able to push and order him around to move him w/out activating him (to get more use out of Look Out) but it didn't really help much. 

Field Reporter (C) She was OK.  She pushed a few models around before being killed, so never got to convert my opponent's scheme markers.  The threat of her doing so is still very good and she can mess with scheme runners very well, so she'll stick around.

Brutal Effigy (A) You know he's awesome, I know he's awesome.  I always take him with Perdita.  He did a great job staying hidden but still handing out Fear Not the Sword.  He could have done some extra work if I had picked some different schemes.

Strats and Schemes: Despite being a killy scenario, it was hard to score points for Public Execution. Two turns we both had equal amounts of Shed Blood, so no one scored for that.  Show of Force is an easy scheme for Guild, so why not take it?  I took Eliminate because I wanted to try playing more aggressively and try to shut down the Amelia summoning engine.  Terrain made that very hard (he had a big monument to hide behind) as did the horde of summoned undead.  It wasn't a good fit, and I doubt I'll take Eliminate against Amelia again.  I dismissed Covert Breakthrough but it actually would have been a good scheme, since in Flank deployment you're a lot closer to the enemy deployment zone. 

That wraps up the first game!  I'll be adding more Perdita games to this thread as I play them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Played a game  the other night against Victor, a Henchman who lives near me and is running a 2 day tournament in RI in a few weeks.

Vs Jacob Lynch (10 Thunders)
50 SS
Ours, corner deployment
Guarded Treasure, Covert Breakthrough, Hold Up Their Forces, Show of Force, Vendetta

Perdita - Trick Shooting, Fastest Draw in Malifaux
The Jury - Numb to the World, Debt to the Guild
Francisco - Wade In, Debt to the Guild
Abuela Ortega - Hair Trigger
Thalarian Queller
Brutal Effigy
Field Reporter
Enslaved Nephilim
2 SS cache

Jacob Lynch - Woke Up with a Hand,
Hungering Darkness - Smoke Grenades (either Jacob or Huggy had Recalled Training)
Shadow Emissary - Lynch conflux
Katanaka Crime Boss
The Illuminated
Terracotta Warrior
Charm Warder
Tanuki
5 SS cache

How It Went Down: I sent the Queller, Abuela, and the Reporter into one quarter, and kept Perdita, Francisco, the Effigy, the Nephilim and the Jury in the corner they deployed in.  Abuela and friends faced off against the Shadow Emissary and the Charm Warder and kept them tied up through the first four turns.  The Illuminated moved up and charged the Jury, almost failing to kill her until the Hungering Darkness commanded him to strike again.  Both of them racked up some Fees in the process.  Perdita killed The Hungering Darkness AND the Illuminated, then she and Francisco rushed into his quarter where she killed the Tanuki as well!  As the game drew to a close, Jacob Lynch killed the Queller and summoned The Hungering Darkness back. It rushed into one quarter (which was only defended by my Effigy) and denied me one point to win the game!

Final Score: Perdita 9 (Ours 3, Guarded Treasure 3, Show of Force 3) to Jacob 10 (Ours 4, Vendetta 3, Guarded Treasure 3)

Report Card:   
Perdita: (A-) Her ability to relocate is very strong in Ours, because she can secure a quarter almost anywhere (between moving to it and killing things in it).  My only regret was killing the Terracotta Warrior last round instead of Obeying the Crime Boss away from the scheme markers.  If I had, I wouldn't have had the high card that saved Abuela, so let's call it a wash. 

Francisco: (B) He didn't get into combat all game, but he did help me score Guarded Treasure, so he wasn't worthless.  He does usually have better things to do than run schemes! ;)

The Jury: (C) I moved her up to keep Perdita in range for her "Honest" Trial ability, and that let the Illuminated charge her.  He would have fought her eventually since she was his Vendetta target.  She did some good work before she died, but it did make scoring points more challenging.  It's a good reminder to be aware of when you are moving into a model's charge range.

Abuela: (A) My rock star of the game! She had a lot of mobility, and scored my Guarded Treasure points.  Giving other models the ability to push her is so good, it saved her life in this game!  I may try substituting Lead Lined Coat or Debt instead of Hair Trigger next time around. 

Tharalian Queller: (C) He tied up the Shadow Emissary and made things difficult with his Supression marker.  He didn't kill anything though, but he was hard to put down.  His restraining wand is a great attack if you want to neuter a model instead of killing it. 

Brutal Effigy: (C) He spent most of the game running around randomly.  He could have been dropping scheme markers for Francisco or Perdita to stand next to.  His Fear Not the Sword action really saved Perdita and he held a quarter most of the game, so that was good. 

Field Reporter: (B) She lacks a 0 action which makes her a great person to push Abuela around. She flipped one enemy marker, and made the Emissary slow for a few turns.  Well done! 

Enslaved Nephilim: (C) He got left behind fairly quickly and didn't get to push models as much as I'd like to.  I need to practice deployment so he's able to push the right models around.  His Influence ability can catch people by surprise!

Strats and Schemes:  Don’t take Show of Force into Ours again!  My reasoning was that Guild are good at it, and he wouldn't want to risk models in the center to weaken him hold on a quarter.  That works fine when you have enough models to spare, but once the Jury died I had to choose between scoring the scheme OR the strategy.  Vendetta could have worked for me by taking out the Crime Boss or the Emissary. 

Hope you enjoyed the game, Perdita will likely see the table again next week!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jchrisobrien said:

Enslaved Nephilim: (C) He got left behind fairly quickly and didn't get to push models as much as I'd like to.  I need to practice deployment so he's able to push the right models around.  His Influence ability can catch people by surprise!

I think the Neph can use his shackled on himself to catch up faster.    It took me a while to realize that.

• Like 2

On 2018-01-19 at 9:35 PM, 4thstringer said:

I think the Neph can use his shackled on himself to catch up faster.    It took me a while to realize that.

Indeed he can since its a tactical and doesn't specify 'other models'! His low walk is just to trick the opponent ;-)

• Like 2

4thstringer:  I did remember to Shackle him to other models, there were some issues with terrain and models being too far away.  The plan for next is a "reverse Hoffman" move: Shackle myself to a model, then Shackle that model to someone else.  Repeat each turn.  

I'll be sure to remember the thing about Hungering Darkness in our next game! 

Vs Hamelin (with the new cat lady models)
50 SS
Ours, corner deployment
Guarded Treasure, Set Up, Show of Force, Take Prisoner, Vendetta

The Jury - Numb to the World, Debt to the Guild
Abuela Ortega - Lead Lined Coat
Monster Hunter
Brutal Effigy
Field Reporter
Enslaved Nephilim
4 SS cache

Hamelin - the Piper, Plague Pits
The Stolen
Nixx
Bishop
Hans
Johan
Obedient Wretch
2 Rats

How It Went Down: Perdita, the Jury, and Francisco ran to hold one quarter, the Effigy held a second, and everyone else moved to contest a third.  Bishop rushed up with help from Hamelin and started wrecking things:  first the Monster Hunter, then Abuela. Han picked off my Nephilim early, and kept the Effigy running for cover.  Francisco, Perdita, and the Judge worked together to pick up a Plague Pit and drop markers for Guarded Treasure.  Once the Rat Kings got close enough they started gnawing on my scheme markers and I couldn't score it. 

Final Score: Perdita 4 (Ours 3, Guarded Treasure 1, Vendetta (Bishop) 0) Hamelin 10 (Ours 4, Guarded Treasure 3, Take Prisoner (Reporter) 3) 

Report Card:   
Perdita: (B) She didn't accomplish much this time outside of ordering a few models around and guarding some Treasure (only to see it gnawed out under her feet).  She did have sweet last round killing Johan and a Rat King!  I may need to be more aggressive with her and Francisco.  This would have been a good scenario to use Shooting Cans in and try to pick of my opponent's markers. 

Francisco: (D) Poor Francisco didn't swing his sword once and was relegated to scheme running again.  If I'm not going to fight with him  then why bring him along?  He should be up murdering with Perdita and clearing quarters.  Next time he's out for blood! 

The Jury: (B+) The Jury continues to shine.  Healing and removing Blight from Perdita, ignoring Blight, resisting Obeys, and killing Bishop!  She's doing a great job boosting Perdita's performance.  I'll explain why I didn't give her an A below. 

Abuela: (C) Abuela was more subdued this time.  Models that lack a 0 action are great for pushing her around.  Ordering the people around her to take actions is great.  The Lead Lined Coat I added this time around didn't save her from the pugilistic prowess of Bishop, and the other Family models were too far away to pass wounds to.

Monster Hunter: (F) He died on turn two after walking and stalking.  My opponent was very scared of it!  Maybe next time I'll see what it can do.   

Brutal Effigy: (B+) He did what he's supposed to do!  He dropped some markers so Perdita wouldn't have to, handed out Fear Not the Sword, and didn't die.   

Field Reporter: (C) She did some work this game: pushing models around, converting a scheme marker, and putting Bishop on negative flips for attack.  Shame about being taken prisoner though! 

Enslaved Nephilim: (C) I started off well by pushing a model forward and pushing to that model.  Then Hans killed him.  I did keep my models hidden so Hans didn't do too much else.  I'd expect to see Hans more often this year, so I have to remember to hide completely (as snipers will always have plus flips one way or another).  

Strats and Schemes: 
Ours - It's very easy to sit back and have both sides score full points for Ours.  Perdita and Francisco need to go on more of a murder spree.  They have 18 SS between them to contest a quarter, and (in theory) can kill a lot of things.  The only downside to that is trying to keep the Jury in range of them. 

Guarded Treasure - Lesson from today: never take scheme marker based schemes against Hamelin.  He has multiple ways of getting rid of yours markers and still has enough activation control to make it happen. 

Set Up - See guarded treasure above.
Show of Force - I said I was going to stay away from that scheme in this pool, but my opponent was shocked I didn't pick it!  He's right, too.  My opponent only had one model with an upgrade (Bishop) and it's not a permanent one.  I could have parked the Jury somewhere pretty safe and scored 3 points for Show. The Jury also can't be moved without huge effort.   

Take Prisoner:  This is usually a viable scheme, and Hamelin has the Obedient Wretch as a soft target you can choose.  The big downside is he will likely have activation control and will move all his models away from yours in the last turn.  Not good to take against Hamelin.

Vendetta: This was my first time with the hunter.  I figured Bishop was a nasty model and a good target to take out, and I'm told Monster Hunters punch above their station. They don't do much when you lose the initiative flip and a Oathkeepered Bishop is in your face!  I could complain about luck by not going first, but my good buddy Sergrum says "Forget about luck!"  The truth is I could have moved the Monster Hunter further back and engaged Bishop at range.  I could have shot him, and if he died after that I could still kill Bishop for another point.  

Another game down! I have another one scheduled this weekend, then hopefully a few more next week before my 5 game tournament at CaptainCon. 

Thanks for reading! 

• Like 2

This is the second of two practice games I played last night preparing for CaptainCon 2018

Vs Somer Teeth Jones
50 SS
Ply for Information, standard deployment
Surround Them, Inescapable Trap, Take Prisoner, Take One for the Team, Vendetta

The Jury - Numb to the World
Abuela Ortega
Thalarian Queller
Brutal Effigy
Guild Austringer
Enslaved Nephilim
4 SS cache

Somer Teeth Jones - Liquid Courage, Dirty Cheater, summoning upgrade?
2 Skeeters
Mancha Roja (Stilts, Hide in the Mud)
Burt Jebsen (Dirty Cheater)
3 Bayou Gremlins
Slop Hauler
Lightning Bug

How It Went Down: Somer summoned a lot of Bayou Gremlins early on, which gave him a pretty big advantage when it came winning the strategy.  Perdita, the Jury, and Francisco ran up the right flank and camped behind a building.  They picked off Bayou Gremlins, occasionally Plying or killing the models who plied them.to hold one quarter, the Effigy held a second, and everyone Gathering Intel or killing the models who Gathered Info from them.  That's how I won a turn of Ply.  The austringer stayed on the left flank where he eventually ran afoul of Burt.  The rest of the crew worked around the center, using movement tricks to get away from the Bayou Gremlins and Skeeters.  Francisco and Perdita rushed Mancha Roja, but failed to kill him.  My opponent kept him defensive and spent all his stones to stay alive.  I took the slop hauler prisoner in the end, but Somer picked up some points for Surround Them and Take One for the Team (a Bayou Gremlin).    

Final Score: Perdita 4 (Ply for Information 1, Vendetta (Francisco/Mancha Roja) 1, Take Prisoner (slop hauler) 2 to Somer 7 (Ply for Information 3, Take One for the Team (Bayou Gremlin) 3, Surround Them 2

Report Card:   
Perdita: (B) I made good use of all her various abilities: Relocating, Hero's Gamble, Obey, killing things.  Finishing Manch Roja would have got her an A.  

Francisco: (B) Francisco actually made it into combat this time, but even with living the dream (winning Initiative, using Debt to the Guild, and Flurrying) Mancha Roja stayed alive.  Could have been more aggressive possibly.  Try to set up a situation where Francisco charges in, then Companion to Perdita to Relocate and attack the same target.

The Jury: (B) Her high damage was good for clearing out Bayou Gremlins, and her shooting attack without a gun was good for shooting into combat.  Gave Perdita some Masks for her Obeys.

Abuela: (C) She received a lot of attention between being Plied and shot at. One useful things was ordering the Nephilim to pull her out of a combat. 

Guild Austringer: (D) He died quickly once Burt got to him, but not before draining some cards from my opponent's hand.     

Brutal Effigy: (C) He ended up spending most of the game away from Perdita and helped Abuela instead.

Enslaved Nephilim: (C) I got a lot more utility out of him this game, Shackling models all over the place, and pushing Queller a foot across board to assist Perdita and Francisco. 

Thalarian Queller: (B) He dropped one Suppression marker to little effect, but kept Manch Roja restrained and Slow for most of the game. 

Strats and Schemes: 
Ply for Information - Both of us ended using our first activations (most of the time) to Gather Info.  We also killed a lot of models (on either side) who had the Info.  It's a good idea to move those models with the Condition out of harm's way.  This crew can do that pretty well either by ordering people around or pushing them.  Perdita, Francisco, and the Jury are bad sources of information, because they can pretty reliably kill anyone who bothers them. 

Vendetta:  I thought Francisco had a good chance of killing Mancha Roja, but in the future I should pick a target that isn't a Henchman, so they can't spend stones to keep the model alive.  Burt would have been the only other decent target for that scheme, which carries it's own dangers.  The austringer could have picked a vendetta on Burt, I used other models to beat him down, then throw some Raptors at him to finish him off and get full points. 

Take Prisoner:  The slop hauler wasn't a big threat to me, so I didn't feel bad about ignoring him all game.  Perdita could Obey him towards me if needed, but I ended up charging near him to get the points.

Surround Them:  I lacked the faster models to run into his corners, and I felt he had enough minions to pick up my markers.  Not something I usually consider for Guild.

Inescapable Trap:  Is this the new Hidden Trap?  It's not a good idea to take this against a crew that will constantly out activate you.  Another pass for the Guild.

Take One For the Team:  This is always one to consider.  I considered using the austringer as the sucker.  I could keep him near the Jury and go after my opponent's hand, which will definitely make them want to kill him. 

Tonight and tomorrow I'll finish painting a few models, and after that it will be Captain Con!  If you have any feedback on the format of these posts, let me know.  I'm already thinking of condensing the report cards to focus on models that performed very well or not at all.

Thanks for reading! 

• Like 3

Not sure how viable this is but if you take the emissary or Jury you could use Perdita's obey to get a couple of models with the condition straight away. Could be good to win the ply-off. Not sure if she is possibly better spent doing her excellent damage but in some games there may be a couple of models that are really tough that you'd rather not have to kill but could milk for ply.

Austringers are pretty popular for vendettas. Those birds really hate a lot of people. :) 

I'm a fan of the format, it's interesting to know about the models that didn't perform well. The reasons could vary wildly.

2 hours ago, Primarch said:

So it's hard to get now?  Can't even find it on the On Demand site.

It's in the latest upgrade deck where every master got two upgrades each. If you play five or so masters I think the deck is cheaper than it would be to order all the upgrades solo. It's called Broken promises. Splitting is also an option or asking someone local to sell theirs if you only want the upgrades for a few masters.

Welcome to game one of the CaptainCon GG 2018 Malifaux tournament!  36 players, many of them high skilled tournament veterans, assembled in Warwick RI for fun and flipping cards!  These break downs will be as close as I can remember them.  All games are 50 SS (in fact, we are going to assume that for all games here on out).

Perdita vs. Asami (Matt Perry)

Flank Public Executions
Eliminate the Leadership, Covert Breakthrough, Hold Up Their Forces, Show of Force, Take One for the Team

The Jury - A Debt to the Guild, Numb to the World
Francisco - Wade In, A Debt to the Guild
Santiago - A Debt to the Guild
Thalarian Queller
Guild Austringer
Brutal Effigy
Enslaved Nephilim

Asami - Equality, Borrowed Time, Heavenly Design
Amanjaku
Ohaguro Bettari - A Taste for Flesh, Recalled Training
Yasunori - Smoke Grenades
Shadow Emissary - Conflux for Asami
Ten Thunders Brother

How it Went Down: I kept my crew close together so I could gang up on Yasunori when he came in (and he did come in).  I started beating on him, Asami pulled him out of combat, and Perdita ordered Franc forward to engage and quickly kill Yasunori.  From there I shot his models as they summoned them, and spread out once I found he had Hold Up Their Forces.

Final Score: Perdita 7 (Public Executions 2, Show of Force 3, Take One for the Team 2) to Asami 5 (Covert Breakthrough 3, Hold Up Their Forces 2)

Highs and Lows:
Perdita: Obeying Francisco twice to engage Yasunori was a big move on turn two.
Francisco: Flurry + Debt = dead Yasunori.  Franc also scored me some points as "the sucker" for Take One.
Santiago: He got to live the dream by killing a Jorumungo that Matt summoned in one Activation.  He ended up with 4-5 shots with some help from the Jury. He just might end up being legit now!

The other members of my crew all did what they were supposed to do: hand out Fear Not the Sword, push people around, hand out masks, and score some points.

Strats and Schemes:  There were plenty of summoned models for me to kill, which made Public Executions pretty easy for me.  Francisco was causing enough havoc that he had to die, which made him a good Take One target.  Show of Force is always a great/easy scheme for the Guild.  I didn't know Asami too well so I didn't want to risk Eliminate the Leadership.  Hold Up Their Forces could have also worked with all the extra models he was summoning in.  I probably should have taken Cover Breakthrough.  In flank deployment, you are so close to their deployment zone that you don't need to be especially tricky to get the scheme markers down.  This is a lesson that I will remember later.

Matt is a good friend (part of my local gaming group) and we had a great and friendly game.
The CaptainCon Chronicle will continue in "No House Calls"

Thanks for reading!

• Like 5