Jump to content
Scatterbrain

McMourning with Beast models?

Recommended Posts

H'ok, so... n00b question.

I heard a rumour that McMourning can take models with the Beast and Academic sub-types. I only have access to books 1, 2 and 3 at the moment, however, and haven't been able to find this fabled upgrade.

Is it listed as an upgrade available in book 4 or 5? Or, is it simply too good to be true? Have I made an embarrassing, nonsensical beginner's gaffe, along the lines of "I hear that Perdita is allowed to take Nephilim models if you play your turns backwards, while squinting?" :P

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. His new Wave 5 upgrade "Test Subjects" which is dual faction, allows him to hire four models with the Beast or Academic characteristic. It also causes any model with those characteristics to heal when they activate near him so it's never a useless upgrade. Bring a Malifaux Raptor and you can even give non-Beasts in your list a condition that applies the Beast characteristic so they also benefit from the healing aura (like McMourning himself).

Of course matchups against Marcus could get messy.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Freman said:

Yes. His new Wave 5 upgrade "Test Subjects" which is dual faction, allows him to hire four models with the Beast or Academic characteristic. It also causes any model with those characteristics to heal when they activate near him so it's never a useless upgrade. Bring a Malifaux Raptor and you can even give non-Beasts in your list a condition that applies the Beast characteristic so they also benefit from the healing aura (like McMourning himself).

Of course matchups against Marcus could get messy.

Thanks, @Freman

Now that I know the name of the upgrade, I can buy the card from Wargame Vault, even if a copy of the Wave 5 book itself isn't currently in the budget. This is a great way for a budding Arcanist Marcus player to have another master with which to mess around with the beast miniatures. Potentially also an Oxfordian Mage!

Phew. I'm relieved my impulse addition of a single McMourning miniature to a recent trade swag of miniatures wasn't a ludicrous purchase after all. It's official, McMourning will be my first Ressurectionist master! ^_^

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The upgrade will be available in the Broken promises Upgrade pack. (I have no idea if its in wargames vault yet). The pack will contain 2 upgrades per master (and conflux upgrades for the newer masters), so you may well find it cheaper to just buy the whole box than all the individual upgrades you want. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the upgrade pack is sold from Wyrd's own store and most stores carrying their model line.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Adran said:

The upgrade will be available in the Broken promises Upgrade pack. (I have no idea if its in wargames vault yet). The pack will contain 2 upgrades per master (and conflux upgrades for the newer masters), so you may well find it cheaper to just buy the whole box than all the individual upgrades you want. 

 

1 hour ago, Ludvig said:

I think the upgrade pack is sold from Wyrd's own store and most stores carrying their model line.

Good advice, thanks @Adran and @Ludvig. I checked Wargames Vault and it's not available on there yet. Broken Promises Upgrade Pack it is. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/01/2018 at 9:29 AM, Freman said:

McMourning is my favourite master.

Have you (or anyone else who is reading) got much experience running McMourning in the Resser faction with his 4 allowed cross-faction Beast and/or Academic models, after taking the "Test Subjects" upgrade? Which imported Beasts/Academics did you use? Poison Gamin and The Scorpius seem likely choices due to the synergy with Poison.

In faction, I'm curious as to how he will go with Shikome, Canine Remains, Night Terrors, the Valedictorian, Students of Steel/Sinew/Viscera in particular.

I bought McMourning by himself. I realise McMourning has good synergy with the other models in his box in particular, but I don't much like the models, and I'm mainly looking to play Arcanists. At least I can use the Shikome and Canine Remains in Marcus lists, and the University of Transmortis models with Sandeep (eventually). But Sebastian isn't going to be any use to me elsewhere. Apart from McMourning himself, I'm trying not to buy any Resser models except those I can also play with Arcanists. (Though I see I may have to get a couple of Flesh Constructs due to his ability to summon them after destroying enemies with Expunge).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poison Gamin can't be taken because Gamin are excluded on the upgrade.

I've used the Scorpius. It's great if you manage to Catalyst a newly activated poisoned model within the Scorpius's aura in order. They activate, take a point of poison damage, and gain slow. It takes some setup though.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's funny that the apo aklows them in crew building. I'm just waiting for someone to get really far in a tournament qith these in their McMourning crew. 

I'm not sure how much he would even need outof faction beasts apart from maybe the scorpius and Myranda in ressers. Kudra is a good academic as well, verydecent defenses for her cost and given that ressers usually have low defense values you might catch someone unaware and lacking in high-accuracy models. 

Haven't tried him in ressers with beasts, his thematic crew seems plenty good to me there. I've found more combos I'd want to try i guild.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are still a few problems with the app, but they're getting there.

Amina could be interesting too, including the fact that as a M&SU model she buffs Johan if you choose to take him. That could be fun in Guild where you can also make him Precise.

Models that I intend to try.

Amina

Kudra

Dawn Serpent

Razorspine Rattler

Malifaux Raptor

Myranda

Other than the Raptor and Amina they all hand out poison in some way, so help McMourning, and also bring some interesting variety to his lists.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although Plastic Surgery is more useful than Evidence Tampering, I'm probably going to swap Plastic Surgery for Test Subjects in future. Losing that extra melee attack at range is incredibly frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you think about 2 grootslangs? They are fast and hand out poison +2, so they should fit well in mc's crew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Freman said:

Although Plastic Surgery is more useful than Evidence Tampering, I'm probably going to swap Plastic Surgery for Test Subjects in future. Losing that extra melee attack at range is incredibly frustrating.

I more or less never take evidence tampering, especially in ressers it seems I would most often be using my (0) for expunges and I find Injection to be pretty awesome as well. Doing a surgical implements and pushing in to take another ml attack vs doing randid transplant + expunge seems like a bad idea, especially in the faction where I gain 6ss by doing the latter instead.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, if you want a really sad combination, try a Malifaux Raptor with the Forgotten Marshal.

A Raptor can bury and unbury anywhere on the table. The Forgotten Marshal can unbury next to any friendly model.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Freman said:

Also, if you want a really sad combination, try a Malifaux Raptor with the Forgotten Marshal.

A Raptor can bury and unbury anywhere on the table. The Forgotten Marshal can unbury next to any friendly model.

too expansive as for me...
how would 7ss enforcer fits McMourning list? I just started McMourning, only played 6 games yet, but the problem i faced is the choise of models for 50ss format :) And it's just a Ress fraction models, without any beasts and academics....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a niche build, for particular schemes and strats, but done right it's an almost guaranteed 3 points.

Normally my 7 stone Enforcer is Rafkin. He's not only a little machine by himself, but he improves damage against nearby poisoned models which can make everything better including McMourning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/1/2018 at 12:29 AM, Freman said:

McMourning is my favourite master.

So, here we are. I own 14 Masters (5 different Factions), but Douglas, McCabe and nowadays Zipp are my favourites.

What do you suggest with the Doc? Guild or Ressers doesn't matter, but I will probably go on expanding a bit my Ressers (just for him and Reva).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given that he can now have some synergy with Beasts thanks to Test Subjects, at least by providing a bit of healing, I'd be inclined to focus on Beast and Academic models that he can take cross faction. Off the top of my head, Rogue Necromancy, Canine Remains, Shikome, Night Terrors, Valedictorian and the Students. In Guild that's just Guild Hounds I think.

Out of faction Amina Naidu and Kudra could be interesting. Scorpius is better with McMourning than in Arcanists thanks to Catalyst. Razorspine Rattler and Dawn Serpent can both hand out poison. Myranda can hand out poison too, and summon another Arcanist Beast to the table when she starts to get a bit low on life. Also she's Doug's niece in the fluff, so I think it's fluffy. Malifaux Raptor isn't particularly powerful, but it has some fun burial tricks that can help with the Forgotten Marshal, and it can give the Beast characteristic to models that don't normally have it, like McMourning. Even though there's no real synergy with the Blessed of December I intend to use her one day just because I found the old metal model, so much nicer than the plastic, and therefore she must be used. Also Resser McMourning is the only master in the game who can run both Luther and Genbu in one list, so I want to do that some time, just for fun.

The thing I want to try just for fun is pig McMourning. Sow, Piglets, Wild Boar, War Pig. Obviously a mercenary Hog Whisperer to help keep them under control.

In Guild I intend to run the medical crew some time. McMourning, Grimwell, Sebastian, Heartsbane, Nurses and Orderlies, maybe Papa Loco as a patient. I don't care if it doesn't work. I just have to try it because rule of cool.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Neverborn they have Spawn Mother, Gupps, Silurid, Waldgeist, Cursed Hounds and Rougarou. Rougarou pounces should be a lot of fun with the lures from Rotten Belles that come in a Resser list.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Freman said:

Given that he can now have some synergy with Beasts thanks to Test Subjects, at least by providing a bit of healing, I'd be inclined to focus on Beast and Academic models that he can take cross faction. Off the top of my head, Rogue Necromancy, Canine Remains, Shikome, Night Terrors, Valedictorian and the Students. In Guild that's just Guild Hounds I think.

Out of faction Amina Naidu and Kudra could be interesting. Scorpius is better with McMourning than in Arcanists thanks to Catalyst. Razorspine Rattler and Dawn Serpent can both hand out poison. Myranda can hand out poison too, and summon another Arcanist Beast to the table when she starts to get a bit low on life. Also she's Doug's niece in the fluff, so I think it's fluffy. Malifaux Raptor isn't particularly powerful, but it has some fun burial tricks that can help with the Forgotten Marshal, and it can give the Beast characteristic to models that don't normally have it, like McMourning. Even though there's no real synergy with the Blessed of December I intend to use her one day just because I found the old metal model, so much nicer than the plastic, and therefore she must be used. Also Resser McMourning is the only master in the game who can run both Luther and Genbu in one list, so I want to do that some time, just for fun.

The thing I want to try just for fun is pig McMourning. Sow, Piglets, Wild Boar, War Pig. Obviously a mercenary Hog Whisperer to help keep them under control.

In Guild I intend to run the medical crew some time. McMourning, Grimwell, Sebastian, Heartsbane, Nurses and Orderlies, maybe Papa Loco as a patient. I don't care if it doesn't work. I just have to try it because rule of cool.

Thanks mate, really helpful! I will get some Autopsies 'cause they seem cool, Shikome and Scorpius probably. I don't want to waste money on stuff like Marcus or Sandeep, as I hate Arcanists and it will be stuff that I wouldn't use with any of my Masters.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×