Nellie is not dead

ElPuto

After the errata, Nellie with Mercs will be seen as weak, 'cause her best choices got nerfed with a point cost growth (McTavish, Burt). But is it totally true?

I'm thinking about her full Guild, or using Bishop as a new champ.

What are your moves with the best Journalist in the whole Malifaux world? 

Im thinking about using some gg spam to further pad activations;  fast monster hunters to murder real good, maybe domador with belles.   I'm nit letting one point take mctav away that fast either.

I want to experiment with a list I made with her before that used watchers to load up the evidence, then whenever they missed an attack I pushed them into a trap. 

• Like 2

Yeah, Nellie isn't close to dead.  She's not even close to being not obviously the best Guild master.  Even if you're determined to go Embedded Nellie (and that's far from the only way to run her, since Guild has plenty of beaters and such to do what you want to do, you don't need mercs), there are tons of viable options to do cool stuff with.  As stated, Bishop has become more attractive (2x Flurry with DttG), and Taelor has gotten cheaper, and Nellie has the pushes and Fast to make Taelor scary.  Not to mention Aionus and Hannah, who I don't think get enough credit.  Even with the point increase, McTavish and Jebsen are now essentially paying normal merc rate, and haven't gotten any worse, you just don't get them for a free point anymore.

4 hours ago, The Governor-General said:

Yeah, Nellie isn't close to dead.  She's not even close to being not obviously the best Guild master.  Even if you're determined to go Embedded Nellie (and that's far from the only way to run her, since Guild has plenty of beaters and such to do what you want to do, you don't need mercs), there are tons of viable options to do cool stuff with.  As stated, Bishop has become more attractive (2x Flurry with DttG), and Taelor has gotten cheaper, and Nellie has the pushes and Fast to make Taelor scary.  Not to mention Aionus and Hannah, who I don't think get enough credit.  Even with the point increase, McTavish and Jebsen are now essentially paying normal merc rate, and haven't gotten any worse, you just don't get them for a free point anymore.

That's what I was thinking about. Tried Hannah a lot of times, she doesn't tick me but well, playing with 8/9 cards in hand is gorgeous (Printing Press + Hurt from Sue).

Taelor can be really useful in the right matchups.

I think with the loss of the underpriced models the merc Nellie got a slight hit but you can still use it: Bishop/Sue are pretty stable picks. I don't yet know what I would use for the second two.

That being said Nellie's main strenght was untouched- activation passing. I played her with pure Guild last weekend and she can definitely stand up for herself

1 hour ago, trikk said:

I think with the loss of the underpriced models the merc Nellie got a slight hit but you can still use it: Bishop/Sue are pretty stable picks. I don't yet know what I would use for the second two.

That being said Nellie's main strenght was untouched- activation passing. I played her with pure Guild last weekend and she can definitely stand up for herself

Aionus for a spam list (GG or Hounds), Hannah, Big Jake (depending on Strategies), Hans, some Crossroads maybe? Gluttony seems fun!

I played her in full Guild. Jury + Austringer, Phiona, a couple of Reporters, some more stuff. Lost for 1 point, really tight game.

44 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Nellie was never in any danger. It's not like she could only take those two models, she still has a bunch of super powerful abiliues.

True, I was just starting a discussione about it. I'd like to play her super elite, don't know if she can in a pure Guild build (maybe with Investigators). 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ElPuto said:

True, I was just starting a discussione about it. I'd like to play her super elite, don't know if she can in a pure Guild build (maybe with Investigators). 

Surely she is event more elite if the models you wanted to hire now cost more?

I remember the days when you would play 4 or 5 activations for your reckoning lists...  This year I expect to see 7-8 activation become more normal again. Last year really upped the value of out activation, but i don't think it will completely last through this year

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trikk said:

I almost never play Nellie with more than 4.

In fact I basically never play any Guild master with more than 4 stones unless I want lower model count and I end up with 2 extra cache.

But with so many Henchmen, they risk to fold easier, am I wrong?

6 hours ago, trikk said:

That being said Nellie's main strenght was untouched- activation passing.

I could never get it. Why activation passing is so important? Maybe my local community aren't so competitive so I can't see a large picture, but don't you have better things to do with your cards and evidence?

9 minutes ago, Nellit said:

I could never get it. Why activation passing is so important? Maybe my local community aren't so competitive so I can't see a large picture, but don't you have better things to do with your cards and evidence?

Because you can:

• Wait out and counter alpha strikes
  • Create your own Alpha Strikes
  • Deny schemes for enemy
  • Safe score schemes
  • Deny strategy
  • Score strategy

For example if we`re playing Ours I can see that you have 2 quarters, one has 20SS and the other has 40SS. Now I know that I have no chance of blocking the 40SS one but I can block the 20SS one by moving my PK to your quarter and pushing your 9SS model with Propaganda to the 6" bubble around the center.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1