Faction rankings?

izikial

I know everyone hates this kind of post. But im just looking to get a feeling for the meta (or peception of) since wave 5 and erata. So if the factions were to be ranked. 1-7 were would each faction fall.

Im not looking to power game. Quite the opersit. I like to avoid the op to avoid mirror matches and cop-out lists

Im not looking to star arguments or get the obligatory "every faction has its merits" respons. Just a loose veiw of the perception. Thanks

• Like 2

Lucky for you I love this type of discussion.

Here was my post on AWP discussing exactly this.

Take it for what it's worth (I'm only vaguely familiar with some of the factions)

2018 Faction Tier List

1) Ten thunders
Great maneuverability, great at holding points, great models in wave 5, efficient AP, great flexibility to manage strats and schemes. Main weakness is activation control.

2) neverborn
Another flexible faction that can handle just about anything

3) Ressers 
Can bring whatever they need in the middle of the game. Wave 5 brought some movement tricks they needed. Main weakness is the time delay in getting the engine going and susceptibility to alpha strikes - which are very powerful

4) arcanists
Sandeep and the mages survived January un-nerfed. Other masters can be useful in niche situations

5) Gremlins 
Got hit with a double whammy, nerfs in errata and strat and scheme pools that involve holding points and spreading out. They converged on a spot like none other, but their squishy nature may put them at a disadvantage in 2018

6) Guild 
Gg2018 and some good models in wave 5 might make them relevant again

7) Outcasts
Ask them to done 1 thing well and they can do it extremely well. Ask them to do 2 things and it all falls apart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't agree on guild and outcasts being that much worse and don't see the reasoning behind it.

A lot of the "schemey" schemes don't require anywhere near the same volume of ap and both guild and outcasts joined the gremlin club with spammable 3ss scheme runners.

Alpha strikes are still potent and Viks are the queens of alpha strikes. With cheaper Mercs they might outactivate the other main alphas like Yasinori.

Not summoning is nowhere near the same drawback that it used to be so unless every TO slots in interference I think guild and outcasts will have strong games in Ours! for example as opposed to the old interference. Having expensive but brutal shooters seems lik a good way to go in that strategy. 

I'm not sure any faction will be clearly on top but it is very early to tell.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, JoeCL said:

Lucky for you I love this type of discussion.

Here was my post on AWP discussing exactly this.

Take it for what it's worth (I'm only vaguely familiar with some of the factions)

2018 Faction Tier List

1) Ten thunders
Great maneuverability, great at holding points, great models in wave 5, efficient AP, great flexibility to manage strats and schemes. Main weakness is activation control.

2) neverborn
Another flexible faction that can handle just about anything

3) Ressers 
Can bring whatever they need in the middle of the game. Wave 5 brought some movement tricks they needed. Main weakness is the time delay in getting the engine going and susceptibility to alpha strikes - which are very powerful

4) arcanists
Sandeep and the mages survived January un-nerfed. Other masters can be useful in niche situations

5) Gremlins 
Got hit with a double whammy, nerfs in errata and strat and scheme pools that involve holding points and spreading out. They converged on a spot like none other, but their squishy nature may put them at a disadvantage in 2018

6) Guild 
Gg2018 and some good models in wave 5 might make them relevant again

7) Outcasts
Ask them to done 1 thing well and they can do it extremely well. Ask them to do 2 things and it all falls apart.

Can u give a link please ? I would like to read about Faction Tiers

Agreeing with Dogmantra wholeheartedly. Activation control still seems plenty strong. Just having the choice of walking a model from a quarter you are winning big in to another quarter you were losing by a small margin is really good.

Keeping your scary beaters unactivated is also the main way to both do and defend against an alpha strike.

People seem to have completely missed that there are several schemes where you want models or markers to surround another model at the end of a turn or even several turns, the best way to do that is activation control.

• Like 2

Power playing at the expense of fun can be bad. Losing all the time is not fun.

For instance, I won a few games with the Viks but had so little fun that I traded them off after a few months. I've also won with Sandeep and marcus, but had a great time doing so.

But I'm not jumping to pick up a master like von Schill while my meta is only getting more and more competitive. Knowing the versatility out there I wouldn't have fun if I felt like I was handicapped by the models.

I'm not sure where the perception that guild is weak comes from but Duncan Bilz (correct me if I got the wrong Bilz) won some pretty major tournaments several years in a row so it might just be because few extremely good players have tried their hand at making guild shine. In the right hands I'm sure they wouls be strong. Pretty sure the top scoring team at ITC had Nellie in several games and she is likely part of the reason for both Burt and McTavish going up in stones. 

I woud say at least Nellie should be conaidered really strong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My list is based on gut feel, personal bias, and a little bit of educated opinion :)

I think 10T might be peerless in terms of holding points and Shenlong and Asami are also top-tier masters with misaki, yan lo, and Jacob lynch all bringing strong plays to certain gg2018 strats and schemes.

The paired always scheme and strategy are meant to try and pull crews in different directions. Nobody does that worse than outcasts I think.

• Like 1

I don't really think it's worth much ranking faction's too much if you're basing this on what to collect as there's so much variety. 

Which Master you choose also plays a massive role in that. Eg. Look at Sandeep, then look at Colette and Kaeris... Hardly fair to put them on the same level. 

Player skill still trumps all. Play with what you like the look of and which mechanics you enjoy. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Agreeing with Dogmantra wholeheartedly. Activation control still seems plenty strong. Just having the choice of walking a model from a quarter you are winning big in to another quarter you were losing by a small margin is really good.

Keeping your scary beaters unactivated is also the main way to both do and defend against an alpha strike.

People seem to have completely missed that there are several schemes where you want models or markers to surround another model at the end of a turn or even several turns, the best way to do that is activation control.

The problem for gremlins is gg18+errata. Gg18 reward playing durable models (enforcer and henchman if you can) with a lot of strat and schemes. Which gremlins are not known for.

Now on the debate of activation control power gremlins Lost some Steam anyway. If it's weaker then we lose because we were using it a lot. If it's still powerfull or stronger then we lose also since orher factions have the option tout do so as well.

For example the vik alpha. You Can now take some Desperate merc and have lot of activations even for gremlins. Ash blood emissary child Scion voidwretch 5merc and now you have 11 activation

@Aegnor

You'll note I said nothing about gremlins not being bottom of the pile. I think it's too early to tell but it is a definite poasibility.

I was really just saying guild and outcasts don't deserve the two lowest spots because they have really killy models, now in combination with great activation control (Hamelin and Nellie especially).

Arbitrary opinions are fun!

I think the gap between faction is way smaller than these style of lists portray, and I think certain pools can really swing the rankings.  I'd argue breaking the factions into 3 tiers would be a more accurate method to begin an analysis.

I don't have time to go super into detail now, but food for thought/opinion/more discussion.

If we break them to Gold, Silver, and Bronze tier factions (trying to keep the tiers balanced, and acknowledging the tiers are much closer than it may seem in power level (again, just my opinion on placements)

Gold: Ten Thunders, Arcanists (honorable mention, Hamelin ;P)

Silver: Neverborn, Rezzers, Guild

Bronze: Outcasts, Gremlins

I think Gremlins are an enigma, because they're just really hard to play, when everything goes right they're oppressively strong, but just take extra effort to do well with.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PirateCaptain said:

Arbitrary opinions are fun!

I think the gap between faction is way smaller than these style of lists portray, and I think certain pools can really swing the rankings.  I'd argue breaking the factions into 3 tiers would be a more accurate method to begin an analysis.

I don't have time to go super into detail now, but food for thought/opinion/more discussion.

If we break them to Gold, Silver, and Bronze tier factions (trying to keep the tiers balanced, and acknowledging the tiers are much closer than it may seem in power level (again, just my opinion on placements)

Gold: Ten Thunders, Arcanists (honorable mention, Hamelin ;P)

Silver: Neverborn, Rezzers, Guild

Bronze: Outcasts, Gremlins

I think Gremlins are an enigma, because they're just really hard to play, when everything goes right they're oppressively strong, but just take extra effort to do well with.

I've been waiting for someone else to put themselves in the line of fire and make their own list!

Glad I'm not the only one who likes throwing my arbitrary opinion out there just to generate internet debate

• Like 2