Where to go next?

Regelridderen

What Master should be my third?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Loving the Malifaux models, but having trouble finding opponents in my area - so if anything, I’ll need to push it myself.

Till now, I’ve gotten the Lady Justice and Perdita crew + assorted models, Peacekeeper, Executioners, DM Recruiters, Effigy, Lone Marshall, Abuela, The Jury and Austringers. Got them mostly based on looks - who can refuse good looking gals with guns and sharp objects - but as they are about to get finished, I’m starting to look at the next step, whether to stay within guild or try outside :

Guild Options

McMourning - he’s just got insane charm oozing out the wazoo. Although, I’m not sure my current model collection supports him that well - the Executioners look to fit thematically - then of course ressers do have some nice models, and Seamus sound like a hoot fluffwise, if I should stumble down that alley.

Nellie - She seem to be the choice of the stars, when it comes to Guild competitively. I’m also pretty sure, I’d like her playstyle - but she’s just a dame without a sword (although once getting into painting, I usually warm up to models).

Neverborn 

Pandora - she just appears to play nasty. And the whole ‘scary kids’ horror concept is a classic. But what should I get to make a small crew for her? A teddy for Kade? A widow weaver, cause spiders are icky?

The Dreamer - Again, nightmare kids seem to be a thing for me. But I think, I’m much more into the dreamer conceptually, than modelwise, and I have really no idea on what to get him? Toys? Teddy and the ‘oogyboogies’?

- for other purposes, I’d probably get Mr. Tannen and Mr. Graves. Do they play well with those two masters?

Outcasts

Viktorias - Looks as if it can’t get more ‘chicks with big swords’ than the Viks. I’d love to paint up Hannah and Vanessa too. Although playwise, I’m not sure they’re that interesting especially with Lady J and Perdita on the shelf.

- outcasts also offer Big Jake, Johann and Sue, which also look amazing. 

So my question is, what would you suggest of these masters, and what models would you get beyond the masters. Mind you gamewise, I tend to enjoy nimble and fast hard hitting armies, more dependent on synergy than having a big monster or ‘Death Stars’ - while fluffwise, I’d prefer just plonking a single model on the table to kill the opposition with extreme violence, perhaps with a couple of cheerleaders behind to clap and wave flags. 

Secondly. I’d like to look at this as a simple project at first, if I stray outside guild. Making a coherent and ‘fluffy’ crew, that can give add a little variation - basically an ‘all-comers’ list, that work from a stable foundation with a little variation to spice things up.

I vote for McMourning, 'cause I love the doctor! effigy will love him, as you say Executioners and peacekeeper will love him: Precise on them will lead to maximum carnage! I would get the jury, she's a strong support/beater henchman that synergies very well with perdita, Justice and mcmourning (and nurses), check her card

• Thanks 1

McMourning is really fun. You could build a small resser collection to have good opposed crews for showcasing the game to potential new opponents.

You could do Pandora with Graves and Tannen. Graves is usually  seen with her on the table in my experience. Her play style is very different from what you have already although the sorrows can be tricky to use well from what I've seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As you've started out in guild and two of the crews you are looking at are neverborn I'd suggest Lucius.

He can bring his own trio of creepy kids, likes Graves and Tannen, plus has more class than the rest of the masters combined.

I wouldn't suggest McMourning if ressurs don't appeal to you, he is very fun but part of what makes him fun is the cross faction play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I definitely have my eyes on Lucius - although I think he’ll have to wait until, I have some neverborn, so I could enjoy the variety he offers. 

McMourning Peacekeeper and Executioners does sound like quite a spectacle, what would you otherwise suggest? (As I’m sure ressers will be fun, what armies with zombien aren’t?) ;)

BTW: I do have the jury on the paint table :)

In which case I'd ask what you want out of a new master.

You have two masters who while they have significantly different approaches perform the same roll as hands on damage dealers.

If you are happy with another variation of this then the doctor is the correct answer.

If you want some variation in what you want the master to do I'd look at a control or support master.

Rather than leaving yourself open to abuse by only having one master in a faction I'd suggest staying in guild and looking towards McCabe, Lucius, Nellie or if you want a challenge Hoffman.

• Like 1

Hoffman leads to constructs... Constructs lead to arcanists... Arcanists lead to the dark side...

Apart from preferring a weird selection of models I don't think Hoffman is a bad choice in any way these days.

@Freman

Love that court list! I guess investigators or monster hunters or ehatever high powered minion could be the arresting officers and witnesses, playing Lucius without minions is unrewarding.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vorschlag said:

In which case I'd ask what you want out of a new master.

You have two masters who while they have significantly different approaches perform the same roll as hands on damage dealers.

If you are happy with another variation of this then the doctor is the correct answer.

If you want some variation in what you want the master to do I'd look at a control or support master.

Rather than leaving yourself open to abuse by only having one master in a faction I'd suggest staying in guild and looking towards McCabe, Lucius, Nellie or if you want a challenge Hoffman.

For the most part, I just want a cool model to paint, and McMourning fits that profile.

For the second part, I want something different from the straight edge Guild, again McMourning with his SAW-aestethic goes great with this (and I’m partial towards Seamus and Nicodem, so could expand). 

Third, I want something opposed to Guild for luring in some opponents and presenting the game, and the nightmarish neverborn seem to have a lot to offer - also when it comes to expanding.