Why is Tara considered so good?

CapnBloodbeard

I know that often Tara is considered to be quite a good master, but after 7-8 games with her I'm still not quite seeing it.  

Handing out fast...well, that's exchanging 1AP for another.  I mean, sure, I'll take an AP on Lazarus over Tara any day, but still...

Burying enemy models....I just have too hard a time getting this to work.  I think I put about 20 attempts on Mei Feng one match, nada!

Her reactivate is good, I think I'm struggling a bit with this one because I don't like putting her into danger.  

Beastie Bomb.....not applicable in every match, I don't think.  And there are some downsides to it, but it can be potent.  

I dunno, am I just not playing her right, or am I missing something?

Just now, Fluffaluffacus said:

Then sadly sounds like Tara may not be the girl for you. She is generally regarded as good, but definitely a NPE for the opponent.

I don't buy that at all.  There are plenty of Tara lists that don't include 6 void wretches.  

I've had fun with her, and I've gotten some good use out of the fast pulse, but felt like others seem to know something about her that I don't :P

I was toying with the idea of using her WP- aura with Bishop

1 minute ago, CapnBloodbeard said:

I don't buy that at all.  There are plenty of Tara lists that don't include 6 void wretches.  

I've had fun with her, and I've gotten some good use out of the fast pulse, but felt like others seem to know something about her that I don't :P

I was toying with the idea of using her WP- aura with Bishop

Well yeah, there are. But the more competitive lists are wretch spam. Easily. I could also play Kaeris in Arcanists. Doesn't mean it'll be competitive. If you wan't to do good with Tara, spam is what she does best. Remove their ap and grow your ap. It would be like saying, yeah. Hamelin doesn't have to do the Rat engine at the beginning of the game. But...Like...Why wouldn't you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yesterday I had my first match playing with Tara and I enjoyed it a lot, but I was only able to bury one model... the Nothing beast killed everything it touched so no buring there, the scion of the void killed with one attack (severe damage) a swine cursed, everybody was killing and no buring at all! 

That said, I lost miserably because Zipp took Tara away and she got beaten down by those filthy gremlins. In return I killed them all. 

Talos was nice, but I think I didn't use him properply, since there was no model buried I missed that part, and I didn't place him that well. The Nothing Beast was clearly the MVP, although I'd love to try Bishop and bomb him. 

Now, regarding the void wretches, how do I use them properly? Please correct me if I'm wrong:

1. The scion of the void must bury herself.

2. The void wretches use her attacks (and one of them heals her) or try to hand slows to enemy models.

3. During Tara's reactivation, she unburies the Scion (if needed). 

I guess that the void wretches spam list it's like those steps above but doing the second one in loop, it's that correct? In any case I'm not sure I would go there bearing in mind that I have the translucent nightmare and getting extra wretches means plastic ones which wouldn't match with their brothers (minor problem in any case). 

10 hours ago, Chou said:

Yesterday I had my first match playing with Tara and I enjoyed it a lot, but I was only able to bury one model... the Nothing beast killed everything it touched so no buring there, the scion of the void killed with one attack (severe damage) a swine cursed, everybody was killing and no buring at all! 

That said, I lost miserably because Zipp took Tara away and she got beaten down by those filthy gremlins. In return I killed them all. 

Talos was nice, but I think I didn't use him properply, since there was no model buried I missed that part, and I didn't place him that well. The Nothing Beast was clearly the MVP, although I'd love to try Bishop and bomb him. 

Now, regarding the void wretches, how do I use them properly? Please correct me if I'm wrong:

1. The scion of the void must bury herself.

2. The void wretches use her attacks (and one of them heals her) or try to hand slows to enemy models.

3. During Tara's reactivation, she unburies the Scion (if needed). 

I guess that the void wretches spam list it's like those steps above but doing the second one in loop, it's that correct? In any case I'm not sure I would go there bearing in mind that I have the translucent nightmare and getting extra wretches means plastic ones which wouldn't match with their brothers (minor problem in any case). 

Wretches are just there to spam slow on models, scheme and be obnoxious. If a model gets buried they can dogpile on it. However their main purpose is to deny your opponent AP and be cheap activations. 

I ran a list that another player suggested (sorry I can't properly credit it) that involved 4 abominations for cards and activations with the last forming them into the desolation engine, Death Marshall to bury Rusty Alice, Malifaux child using Tara's ability to fast and bury Lazarus, Tara burns Oath keeper (if needed) unburying both Laz and Alice, Alice gives Laz reactivate, then Laz activated twice healing and raining down 4 shots with each activation (fast plus rapid fire then oath keeper plus rapid fire).  Wasn't always effective but it was fun.

2 hours ago, MudgeBlack said:

I ran a list that another player suggested (sorry I can't properly credit it) that involved 4 abominations for cards and activations with the last forming them into the desolation engine, Death Marshall to bury Rusty Alice, Malifaux child using Tara's ability to fast and bury Lazarus, Tara burns Oath keeper (if needed) unburying both Laz and Alice, Alice gives Laz reactivate, then Laz activated twice healing and raining down 4 shots with each activation (fast plus rapid fire then oath keeper plus rapid fire).  Wasn't always effective but it was fun.

The person suggesting you this list must be a really smart and good looking guy!

• Like 2

On 1/10/2018 at 10:07 PM, MudgeBlack said:

Unburying Laz and Alice in one turn without Scion to help? yikes. that's at least 2 SS or High Masks. That's kinda rough all in all. I do like the deso engine delivery system though, especially with the 3 cards drawn. 

On 1/12/2018 at 8:49 PM, green-n-dumb said:

Hello!
Can you advice some budget models/budget to expand Tara box for new player?
Cheap 50ss core that can be expanded later and can have some variety on schemes/strats.
Friend of mine want to start playing her and he is new to Malifaux.

Her Box= $50

box of Void Wretches= 21

Scion of the void= 11

Malifaux Child = 11

or 

Her Box $50

Talos= 21

Death Marshalls= 21

Malifaux child= 11

On 1/15/2018 at 4:02 PM, beergod said:

Her Box= $50

box of Void Wretches= 21

Scion of the void= 11

Malifaux Child = 11

I'd go with this option.

Death marshals only see my lists when I want to do a double bomb (burry The void beast and Bishop for example for a turn 1 alpha strike), otherwise they are quite useless.

I'd go with the first option, the list will allow you to learn the game and is quite flexible vs most things. Also it makes it very easy to expand further.

2 hours ago, SirRocketPants said:

Death marshals only see my lists when I want to do a double bomb (burry The void beast and Bishop for example for a turn 1 alpha strike), otherwise they are quite useless.

In contrast I almost always take 2 Death Marshals. I think they are fantastic. Pine box lets them swing way above thier weight class, hard to wound means you don't need to worry about cheating cards for thier defence, and finish the job has won me games. A Death Marshal with fast is no joke. 

Also between Tara and the Scion you can do 5 damage to a model by burying them (which comes from conditions which can be very good vs Take on for the team).

TLDR: Love me some Death Marshals

my favourite Tara list is
Tara
Karina
Nothing Beast
Scion of the Void
Death Marshal
Death Marshal
Void Wretch
Void Wretch

So I recommend:
Tara Box
Scion
Death Marshals
Guild Autopsies (for summons or to swap out the wretches)
Then try to get a Punk zombie (for summons).