3 Mage, oh 3 Mage

Fluffaluffacus

It's actually even better these days as you can give Sandeep Armor +1 with a Union Steamfitter and then use a mage to push Sandeep up ~18" with three furious casting attacks. Why you would need to push him that far I do not know, but it sure is fun. Also, being able to put Armor +1 on Oxfordians is pretty great too.

1 hour ago, Jinn said:

It's actually even better these days as you can give Sandeep Armor +1 with a Union Steamfitter and then use a mage to push Sandeep up ~18" with three furious casting attacks. Why you would need to push him that far I do not know, but it sure is fun. Also, being able to put Armor +1 on Oxfordians is pretty great too.

dont poke the bear. Never push sandeep to the other side, he'll die instantly but he isnt even that bad, i made a crew that is formidable AND can push 42inches first turn with ironsides ;) THAT is true fun :) 

Is there anything else you find always putting into sandeep lists? Is Kandara now basically just another auto take just for more Banasuva movement? and is the Emissary actually viable with the Gamin upgrade? Letting something else use negation as well as being able to be moved from kandara seems to help its movement problems.

I find myself bringing frequently bringing Anna.  She brings a lot with her min 3 damage, non-randomizing Ca attack (that Sandeep can borrow), extra card rotation, aura that says "screw you" to positioning tricks that Lilith and Yan Lo have, and positioning tricks with her own zero AP.  

I also bring along Carlos a lot because he's so tanky and a good PP carrier. Can do decent damage too but loses his tankiness. 

I've been thinking it for a while and, after using them for at least 50 games with varying masters, I feel comfortable to say that 3 mages for 15 stones with the new upgrade in a Sandeep crew is way underpriced. They are amazing!

Hired alongside other academics, and using the Commands upgrade that gives aura 3 positives to attack a single oxfordian mage can move an enemy model 18" out of position, or 12" and give it slow (apply dmg along the way)! That's mental. They are very hard to drop with arcane shield and the upgrade that allows them to discard a card & upgrade to reduce the dmg by two, and this can be used efficiently to shut down after dmging triggers. They can all ignore armour, and even regain you soulstones! Should the stars align (and it often does due to the push mechanic), 3 mages can generate you three soulstones a turn!

This barely tips the iceberg. I could write a whole tactica on them given the time

Is anyone else of similar opinion. Don't get me wrong I love my arcanist filth, but I also like balance in a game and these models feel a little under-priced...

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 6:56 PM, Fluffaluffacus said:

Is there anything else you find always putting into sandeep lists? Is Kandara now basically just another auto take just for more Banasuva movement? and is the Emissary actually viable with the Gamin upgrade? Letting something else use negation as well as being able to be moved from kandara seems to help its movement problems.

Lately, controversially, Kudra.

She fills the student of all role very efficiently. The 50mm marker is very useful placed next to impassible blocking terrain, also for blocking LoS for enemy synergies. The fact that she can stone for a ram while copying arcane storm (beating), or stone for a mask for 6" place (scheme running),  then discard a card to regain the stone is very very tasty. She brings academic synergy to the oxfordian mages which is huge for them. She is d6 which means she is fairly hard to hit, and even if she is hit, she will draw a card (who doesn't love card draw) and can then stone dmg and discard to regain the stone. Obviously you can only regain the stone once per turn, but you just chose when to do that wisely. Not to mention the 4 AP on the charge is mental And also butterfly jump. Haven't found a situation to use it with Kudra, but its an amazing ability which will catch opponents out!

I previously thought she belonged in the bin, but after a few games of using I am beginning to realise the versatility she brings to the crew.

An auto take? Maybe not, but definitely one worth considering. She is only 7 stones after all.

13 hours ago, Hollingydale said:

Lately, controversially, Kudra.

She fills the student of all role very efficiently. The 50mm marker is very useful placed next to impassible blocking terrain, also for blocking LoS for enemy synergies. The fact that she can stone for a ram while copying arcane storm (beating), or stone for a mask for 6" place (scheme running),  then discard a card to regain the stone is very very tasty. She brings academic synergy to the oxfordian mages which is huge for them. She is d6 which means she is fairly hard to hit, and even if she is hit, she will draw a card (who doesn't love card draw) and can then stone dmg and discard to regain the stone. Obviously you can only regain the stone once per turn, but you just chose when to do that wisely. Not to mention the 4 AP on the charge is mental And also butterfly jump. Haven't found a situation to use it with Kudra, but its an amazing ability which will catch opponents out!

I previously thought she belonged in the bin, but after a few games of using I am beginning to realise the versatility she brings to the crew.

An auto take? Maybe not, but definitely one worth considering. She is only 7 stones after all.

The best thing about her terrain marker is that it lasts until it gets used again. You can drop it where you need it with needing to stick around to maintain it and you can place it overlapping models.  

Locally we have mostly 35 ss tournaments. The best list I ever made was Sandeep, upgrades, 3 mages, full cash, 13 ss to mess around with (I liked Howard with IE).

Summoned in the scheme runners and won tournament no prob. 

The mages are a great value.

35 SS Arcanists Crew
Sandeep Desai + 7 Pool
 - To Command Another Plane (1)
 - Arcane Reservoir (2)
 - Unaligned Sage (1)
Howard Langston (12)
 - Imbued Energies (1)
Oxfordian Mage (5)
 - Doom Ward (0)
 - Temporary Shielding (0)
Oxfordian Mage (5)