Who was your first?

Scatterbrain

Arcanist Master, that is. ;)

Did you start Malifaux with the Arcanist Faction? If so, who was your first Master, and what drew you to them in particular?

Did you start with other factions and arrive at the Arcanists after playing some other Masters? If so, who was your first Arcanist Master, and how did that come to pass?

Started the game with Som'er (bought his box before knowing the rules) but didn't enjoy Gremlins. 

Once known the basic rules and seen the Factions' models I chose Arcanists because of their steam punk constructs and Mei Feng as my first master. 

Went "on a budget" and bought Mei's box, Ramos' one (these arachnid constructs.. Damn, so cool!), rail golem and metal gamins. For the first months I played only Mei as I found her more much enjoyable than Ramos. 

Only thing I regret is the Golem: the sculpt is awful and 35 dollars are way too much (yeah, NOW I know it's one of the first model in plastic.. But at the time I didn't. And the surprise wasn't welcomed). 

i was starting malifaux as a whole and my friend (whom got me into the game) showed me the different crewboxes and i realized i'd never be able to read up and know how all the crews worked in a game, so i just went on look and style. With that i picked Ironsides, she just looked straight up badass and so did her captain too. :) 

I started with Pandora and shortly after Zoraida (because early M1E Pandora was broken as hell). But once I got away from Neverborn, my next Master was Marcus. This was still M1E, when Marcus was largely considered the worst Master in the game. Of course it's for that reason i tried him - I wanted the challenge. ;) As it turns out he was not as bad as everyone had pegged him as. I won or placed high in a few tournaments with him but most importantly, he was alot of fun to play! 

With M2E I've not played alot with Arcanists, despite having all the Masters (also true for most other Factions). When I do play however, my favourite is Ironsides, followed by Kaeris. The former has just been alot of fun to throw around, and the latter is another master that people don't rate. I've still not figured out how to get the best from her, though - she's a tough nut to crack! 

12 hours ago, Durza said:

I started with Ramos, when i was getting into the game it was a toss up between Ramos and Hoffman, but i liked the look of Howard and the spiders more than Hoffmans bots. 

That's interesting! For me, I love the Arcanist faction in general, but I don't much like the look of the spideresque models, especially Howard. I also don't much like the bare-chested half-mechanical humans, like Joss or Ryle. But I absolutely love the bots in the C. Hoffman box, and a few other of the Guild's robots as well. If I didn't love the non-construct Arcanist models so much as well, I'd strongly consider starting with Hoffman and the Guild instead. I guess that's part of why Wyrd produces so many products with such diverse styles. What doesn't appeal to one will appeal to another, and vice versa^_^

The Ramos box is the one to which I have the easiest and quickest access, because it's the only current Arcanist masters box on the shelves at my local store. Despite some strong incentive to go with it straight away, I'm just not sure I can bring myself to paint and play with Howard and the smaller spiders. :( It's likely my rampant arachnophobia is contributing...

57 minutes ago, Scatterbrain said:

That's interesting! For me, I love the Arcanist faction in general, but I don't much like the look of the spideresque models, especially Howard. I also don't much like the bare-chested half-mechanical humans, like Joss or Ryle. But I absolutely love the bots in the C. Hoffman box, and a few other of the Guild's robots as well. If I didn't love the non-construct Arcanist models so much as well, I'd strongly consider starting with Hoffman and the Guild instead. I guess that's part of why Wyrd produces so many products with such diverse styles. What doesn't appeal to one will appeal to another, and vice versa^_^

The Ramos box is the one to which I have the easiest and quickest access, because it's the only current Arcanist masters box on the shelves at my local store. Despite some strong incentive to go with it straight away, I'm just not sure I can bring myself to paint and play with Howard and the smaller spiders. :( It's likely my rampant arachnophobia is contributing...

With Rasputina’s alt box just having been released, some folks are selling their standard Raspy crews already painted, for reasonable rates. I believe my steam arachnids with colorful two-tone atomic-age paint jobs are sufficiently non-threatening to also make Ramos a safe choice as long as you make a proxy brass arachnid or buy the metal sculpt. It’s adorable, and similar to Guild construct aesthetics. (I make no excuses for Model 101, though. You’ll want to skip the large arachnid on aesthetics alone.)

I was a single-faction girl, but mainly playing Hoffman implies eventually buying enough Arcanist stompybots to sometimes play Ramos as well. He’s got the only fully themed crew as far as paint scheme goes, so for nights I dont want the complexity of my Guild master pool* or just want pretty on the table, those are Arcanist nights.

*Guild has some straightforward masters: I don’t have or can’t grasp them.

When I settled on Arcanists as my main faction back in 2014, I immediately chose Rasputina.  I prefer my long-range to melee and Raspy was perfect for it... until she was engaged by the enemy (her new upgrades help with this issue which is great).  Her control of the board is great and being able to paralyze as an action is extremely useful but she was so straight-forward that she got a bit boring.  I need a little bit of variety and "janky-ness" when I play a game so I eventually moved on to Marcus and have never looked back.  His versatility and ability to control Masters is hilariously fun.  I have all of the Arcanists masters except Ramos (I don't like pure summoners) and while I love using Sandeep as he is strong and fun, I still keep going back to Marcus to truly enjoy my games.  It's even better that I can bring any Arcanist model and turn it in to a Beast for the whole game so it still has the synergy with the crew. 

Speaking of Beasts, if Wyrd brings out more models next year, I would love to see another support-style Beast model as we have plenty of heavy hitters across the factions.  Myranda is made to support and tarpit but it's better to always shape-change her with IE equipped. 

But yea, Raspy still fun but Marcus is the best Arcanist Master :) 

• Like 1

While my first master was Brewie (whom I continue to enjoy game after game) I have to admit, he was a placeholder for me until Colette's crew box came out.

Coming to Malifaux after a decent 40k career that got repetitive especially towards the end) I love Colette's sideways, tricksy playstyle. It really allows me to amp up the schemes and often basically ignore killing (see repetitive killing 40k statement) unless I'll feeling particularly murderous that day. 

I started Malifaux in the summer of 2016 with Arcanists. I honestly chose Ramos to be my first Master because I didn't have a local community to play with I thought I could at least use Joss and Howard in my Necromunda Pit Slave gang if I couldn't get others interested. I also picked up Mei Feng as their boxes seemed to synergize well and she seemed fun. Naturally I haven't played Necromunda once since then but have played around 150 games of Malifaux so I'm not complaining.

I have a strong win record with Ramos but he's not the most fun for me to play. To be fair, I haven't tried out his Wave 5 Upgrades yet. I've had swingy results with Mei but I enjoy her. I think I need a few more models to go with her to make her pop.

My favorite Arcanist Masters to play are Rasputina and Marcus. They're both very fun to play and I have good records with them.

To shake things up in 2018 I plan to play Neverborn for all my competitive (Tournament) games. I'll still take out the Arcanists for fun games. Who knows who I'll play in 2019.

• Like 1