Monthly painting challenge - January

Franchute

I'm working on my cyclops for an upcoming tournament in february. Still got the hooded rider, hannah en lilitu to go, but thats probably for later this month/next month.

I'm working on the second one as well, though it is lagging slitghtly behind as I want to try out some stuff. Also still have to build her base. Waiting for some inspiration.

I'll still use washes or glazes on the gase to tone down the contrast. I've been struggling with the cyclops skin a bit, It'll need some more highlighting and some more blue glazes. I'm also thinking about adding the runes from the artwork. The face is pretty much finished.

And then finally I'll tackle the ice parts.

Tell me what you think of it so far! Wish me luck.

large.IMG_20180113_102652.jpg.3f02509b2242807b18d25d3dbac5e84e.jpglarge.IMG_20180113_102701.jpg.9f7f7129804c7f64dca7dea7a744371e.jpglarge.IMG_20180113_102637.jpg.c6d2d741e7570bf378f6a02e3a99a1b8.jpg

• Like 9

Great work on that face! I like the blue-to-tan transition a lot. Have you thought about continuing that color approach on the rest of the skin? Looks like you’re going there with the chest and belly, though it might be reflected ground light. Hard to tell from that angle.

Agree with Treehouse that the lichen looks great. You’ve got very natural looking growths there - what material are you using to get that texture?

You’re also starting to get a nice luminescent glow going around the crystals. It’ll look even better when you get them fully highlighted. I’m excited to see the final product.

12 minutes ago, misterfinn said:

Great work on that face! I like the blue-to-tan transition a lot. Have you thought about continuing that color approach on the rest of the skin? Looks like you’re going there with the chest and belly, though it might be reflected ground light. Hard to tell from that angle.

Agree with Treehouse that the lichen looks great. You’ve got very natural looking growths there - what material are you using to get that texture?

You’re also starting to get a nice luminescent glow going around the crystals. It’ll look even better when you get them fully highlighted. I’m excited to see the final product.

Thanks, at this point I'm very happy with the face and the transition in color. It was quite difficult, I had to try some stuff, basically going from blue to brown/grey back to tan.

I'm working on the same transition on the belly and the inside of the hands and feet. Though I wanted to try it out first in the face area before comitting to it. On the foto's there's a couple of glazes already but its a slow process to get a nice transition.

For the lichen, I'm probably gonna bring it back a bit, cause it's very bright right now. What do you guys think?

The idea with the spots is exactly what I'm going for. I was first going for a smooth blend, but then I thought the spots would look more natural. Thanks for the input!

3 hours ago, Treehouse said:

I like the lichen on the base, cool effect. For the skin, you could try faint spots around the ice-parts, kind of like floes, wich fade into the skintone. This is badly described, I'll draw a picture...

Unbenannt.png

2 hours ago, Joachim said:

For the lichen, I'm probably gonna bring it back a bit, cause it's very bright right now. What do you guys think?

I’d wait to do anything with it until you’ve got the model finished. The green looks too bright now, but that might change once it’s next to your other colors. The finished model can also help you decide if/how you want to tint the lichen for overall composition - more brown, more yellow, deeper green, etc.

55 minutes ago, Joachim said:

@Shock & Awe

Tbh, it kinda fits. It's sort of like the nothing beast is distorted and not entirely part of this dimension. 

I'm not disliking it and it's unique. 

Thanks, man! Everyone that commented (here and on AWP) has seemed to think it looks good as is, which has been a big boon for me. I was devastated when I woke up and found it like that - I'd spent 80 dollars on a set that I could have paid half that just to get that particular model (and the ALT pose Tara, which is worlds better than the standard set, IMO). 

Now that I've looked at it again, and getting all the positive feedback, I'm proud of my melty - unique NB. One things for sure, he definitely fits the "terrifying" classification now.

Here's my first pledge. Coming from boardgames, this is my first time building a mini, so I chose an easy one to practise. It's much harder than I thought, I need to get hang of using the plastic cement without melting the details or leaving gaps. My bottle of Vallejo's liquid putty came in handy. TBC... 

Pp4datz.jpg

• Like 3

So many pieces, ... what was I thinking?  I have a couple of terrain pieces almost assembled now.  A few things to do before I start putting color on them.  One or two of the taps will be pouring fluid through holes in the steel grate floor.  Most of the painting will be rust effects, and the few handles, control panels, and valve controls.  I know it is a bit modern for Malifaux, but Ramos is simply ahead of his time.  And I wanted this to also translate to Necromunda.

large.2018Jan_terrain_WIP.jpg.0b8433c4955de5c852998bb7863e5bf0.jpg

• Like 6