Guild...and Guild only for Starters

Seneca

Hi,

got dragged into Wyrdness and Malifaux by the Iron Painter contest.

During the pickup of some miniatures in my local store, I found out that quite some people here also play Malifaux.

Long story short, I decided to give it a whirl.

Now, I am mostly interested in painting and visuals, more so than in winning games. But not losing all the time would also be nice.

I picked up the Lucius box and have an impulse buy lying around "The Wild Ones".

What I would like to know - how to branch out from those 2?

Restruction: Models must stay in theme and for starters strictly "Guild Only".

Themes for Lucius: Guardsman, Bureaucrats, Reporters, Investigators.

Themes for Rollins: Everything Steampunk (constructs, mad science)

Any models that would be recommended and are fun to paint?

Note: budget wise no restrictions

Will try to make a list of suitable models, but there are just soo many...:-)

From the stuff you listed it looks like you should get The pen is mightier (Nellie's box) has reporters and Phiona Gage and Hoffman's box that has the guardian and hunters. Investigator come out next year.

Both these guys will really like witchling thralls so I would try to find a way to convert them to look good. 

The problem you will run into with lucius is that the bureaucrats, guardsmen and reporters all are kind of pillow fisted.   He kind of needs something like witchling thralls, monter hunters or at least wardens (also have keyword guardsmen) in order to keep up imo.  That being said,  at the start,  Riflemen can be a decent option for damage as long as your games are casual. 

6 hours ago, Seneca said:

OK. And what makes sense to play together, i.e. how to built a list from this?

For Lucius I'd say double thralls and Phiona could go in almost any list and fill out with the cheaper stuff. Some strategies you will want more cheaper models so you can probably ditch a thrall and have more 4 and 6ss minions. 

A personal favourite for me is to take Francisco with McCabe, his buff can make McCabe really difficult to attack which lets you be ridiculously aggressive. Francisco comes with Perdita but thrre is a gorgeous alternative sculpt you might be able to buy from someone. Phiona is also solid with McCabe and then a single thrall. His totem buffs guild hounds making them great for him

@Ludvig, sorry, no Latigo's or Thralls. Do not fit into the visual theme. But I went out and got myself the Nellie and the Hoffman boxes. Quite happy about seing it is two Hunters. Can see them in both lists

@4thstringer, yeah, noticed the pillow fists myself. That is why I am asking for advice. The Hunters (see above) hand out some hurt, but not really finishing moves. Any idea for a model that looks more...Guild (Duster, Coat, Gentlewoman) and packs a punch?

The Investigators are a must as soon as they are available. Really cool concept art. 

23 minutes ago, Seneca said:

@Ludvig, sorry, no Latigo's or Thralls. Do not fit into the visual theme. But I went out and got myself the Nellie and the Hoffman boxes. Quite happy about seing it is two Hunters. Can see them in both lists

@4thstringer, yeah, noticed the pillow fists myself. That is why I am asking for advice. The Hunters (see above) hand out some hurt, but not really finishing moves. Any idea for a model that looks more...Guild (Duster, Coat, Gentlewoman) and packs a punch?

The Investigators are a must as soon as they are available. Really cool concept art. 

Depending on your modeling level, I don't see why you shouldn't modify the monster hunters to look more like what you are looking for.  I find the Latigo and the guild guard models to look pretty good on the table together.

Using hunters instead of thrals will be hard mode but I dig the thematic thought. With the new Lucius rules they might actually be interesting again, you could use the push from Lucius to push out and drag people in an slow them. Their close combat attack also benefits greatly from focus from Lucius or from being pushed closer since they have a horrible range of 1 on it. Lucius could also make them drag+slow and then push them out so he can make them do it again with the walk for a horror duel thing. McCabe can give them nimble and reactivate to slow half a crew.

@4thstringer My modeling level is subpar I would say. And the Wyrd miniatures are borderline fiddly for me to begin with. Latigo is reserved for me for a future "Western" style posse. Otherwise they could fit. Would mix them rather with Death Marshals though to get that Deadlands vibe.

I would say everything I can imagine being allowed into Lucius' office would fit. Pistoleros and Burning Thralls (which would both ruin the carpet), not so much...

@Ludvig sounds like you are on to something. Still, one more actual damage dealer would be nice. Rifleman are good as finishers though. With focus on "hold" they can actually stop countercharges to some degree. And with Dashel handing that out as (0), might work. Mhm...have to see what such a list could look like with Lucius.

Rollins/McCabe has enough damage potential. Hunters with "Metal Shirt" would be quite sturdy, I would say.

Would this list work?

I like its simplicity.

Rollins (Badge of Speed, Loot Bag, Strange Metalshirt)

Cherri Bomb

Phiona

Patti & Elli Ramone

2 x Hunters

Each of the Ramone Girls would drag one Hunter along, trying to make mincemeat out of all stragglers they encounter. Or do a sacrificial suicide run, hoping to survive via the Metalshirt (which gives them 2 Armor).

Cherri just shoots stuff. Phiona kills what she can reach. Rollins works as Wild Card.

2 hours ago, Seneca said:

Would this list work?

I like its simplicity.

Rollins (Badge of Speed, Loot Bag, Strange Metalshirt)

Cherri Bomb

Phiona

Patti & Elli Ramone

2 x Hunters

Each of the Ramone Girls would drag one Hunter along, trying to make mincemeat out of all stragglers they encounter. Or do a sacrificial suicide run, hoping to survive via the Metalshirt (which gives them 2 Armor).

Cherri just shoots stuff. Phiona kills what she can reach. Rollins works as Wild Card.

I like it in some sets.  Definitely would be worth a play.

Personally, I think Thralls are perfect for Lucius' theme, as they are lackeys on chains that he can order around.

But, beyond that, look at Wardens, Mounted Guards, and Guild Hounds.  The hounds are great to pad out activations and can be a PITA when running in a pack.  Riflemen can sometimes work well with Dashell, but is very board dependent.  If shooting lanes are bad, they are worthless. 

If you are going law themed, the Jury can be an excellent add.  She puts hurt out and adds some decent utility (can also synergize with the lawyers).

Working on my Lucius list:

Lucius

- Condescending

- Legalese

- Secret Assets

Dashel

- Arrest Him!

The Scribe

Guild Rifleman x 2

Guild Investigator

Guild Austringer

Field Reporter

Hunter

As mentioned, somewhat heavy on shooting, but quite some options to finish off pinged models. Lots better for schemes which are not as combat focused than the Rollins List. Also, I got most of the models. So - next step: Painting.

• Like 1