Parker with Bishop and Hans

Ravvo

So I recently went out to my LGS and bought the Parker Barrows box. Along with that, it was recommended to me to buy Bishop and Hans as well, because I wanted to make a 50 point crew. I did more research online, and was wondering, are Hans and Bishop good additions to the Parker Barrows Box set?

Hans is not a good addition to any crew, unfortunately. As with all Outcasts, there's little he does that isn't done better by a Freikorps Trapper. Von Schill's box is basically a must-have.
Bishop is... situational. He hits like a truck with his ability to choose his triggers, but he doesn't have much in the way of defense and will be ground down quickly if your opponent gets a chance. I prefer Strongarm suit for the lovely Armour +2.

Make sure you have the latest upgrades for Outcasts and their Masters. Parker gets one that allows him to ignore armour on his built-in :mask trigger, which makes him a bit harder hitting when dealing with certain models.

5 minutes ago, Freman said:

Hans is not a good addition to any crew, unfortunately. As with all Outcasts, there's little he does that isn't done better by a Freikorps Trapper. Von Schill's box is basically a must-have.
Bishop is... situational. He hits like a truck with his ability to choose his triggers, but he doesn't have much in the way of defense and will be ground down quickly if your opponent gets a chance. I prefer Strongarm suit for the lovely Armour +2.

Make sure you have the latest upgrades for Outcasts and their Masters. Parker gets one that allows him to ignore armour on his built-in :mask trigger, which makes him a bit harder hitting when dealing with certain models.

Thanks for your response Freman. What you you recommend to round out a 50 point parker crew?

Von Schill's box and the Strongarm suit. That gives you the trapper for sniping, the librarian for healing (although with the doc around you don't need this as much as other crews do) and casting damage (something Parker doesn't have innately) and Strongarm Suit for melee (melee not being Parker's strong suit) and a WP attacking ranged attack.

Von Schill himself is quite a good master with his new upgrades.

The Hodgepodge Emissary is okay, but he's pretty expensive, about the same price as a crew box, so he wouldn't be my first purchase.

Dead Outlaws and Woukou Raiders are both Bandits, so have some synergy with Parker, but don't add much if you have the Freikorps already. I would leave them for later too.

The Banditos will do for scheme running for now, but the Winged Plague or Void Wretches are a bit better. Again, something to consider later.

Play many many games with Parker. His upgrade rotation means he does have the tools for most tasks, but you often need to plan a turn in advance for what you want him to do.

• Like 1

As for what to get w/ Parker.. a few things not mentioned yet:

Johan: Johan's pretty much mandatory. He's phenomenal, and he's a bargain at 7ss. At 6ss for Outcasts, he's ridiculously good.

Big Jake: A great scheme runner, card-engine, and surprise attack to swing dicey situations on Turn 5. Great for certain take-and-hold strategies, too.

Sue: Just a great big bag of wonderful abilities.

As a bonus, they all fit Parker's aesthetic pretty well, too.

11 hours ago, Freman said:

Von Schill's box and the Strongarm suit. That gives you the trapper for sniping, the librarian for healing (although with the doc around you don't need this as much as other crews do) and casting damage (something Parker doesn't have innately) and Strongarm Suit for melee (melee not being Parker's strong suit) and a WP attacking ranged attack.

Von Schill himself is quite a good master with his new upgrades.

The Hodgepodge Emissary is okay, but he's pretty expensive, about the same price as a crew box, so he wouldn't be my first purchase.

Dead Outlaws and Woukou Raiders are both Bandits, so have some synergy with Parker, but don't add much if you have the Freikorps already. I would leave them for later too.

The Banditos will do for scheme running for now, but the Winged Plague or Void Wretches are a bit better. Again, something to consider later.

Play many many games with Parker. His upgrade rotation means he does have the tools for most tasks, but you often need to plan a turn in advance for what you want him to do.

Hans is a perfect addition to any outcast crew. Scout the field puts so much pressure along with shoot 6. A Trapper cant match that in years. 

Last time I used Hans was in my static shooting Von Schill list using Reconnoiter, and just denied other models being alive in the quarter Von Schill was in while all my stuff stayed in the two quarters I controlled in standard deployment in range of the bubble created by McTavish's hunting screen and the Steam Trunk.  He earned 4 points and denied 3 of the 4 points.

Mind you this is a specific build I have for Reconnoiter and a standard/Close setup; I don't think I use Hans in any other build.

I would Second the Strong Arm Suit and Dead Outlaws,who for a SS more, are superior in every way to the Banditos.

I also agree that the trapper is superior to Hans because of the Soul stone Cost. Hans is 8 SS and almost always a +1ss for Scout the field. Where as the Trapper is 6ss with better mobility and can get into a better starting position negating the need for Scout. so for 3SS less you get a model that can target Leaders without a penalty at almost the same Shooting, with more mobility.  That is why the Trapper is better than Hans.

Sue is a must take as is Big Jake as they feed cards into Parker's Mechanics and then be healed up by the doctor.

Typically with Parker I run a combination of: Sue (with Return Fire), Johan (Oathkeeper), Dead Outlaw (in pairs of possible), and Parker doesn't leave home without the Hodgepodge Emissary (throws trinkets around and drops enemy scheme markers in convenient places for Parker and dead outlaw).

• Like 1

I'll second the Emissary: he's an absolute beast in most crews and most scheme pools (gg17 experience) and really does a lot for me every game, despite what certain NA tournament players might be telling.

I would not recommend Hans and Trapper: they force you into a passive playstyle that goes well against the spirit of Malifaux.

Also, Parker basically requires Marlena Webster to function, so grab her as soon as she's released

Just now, Zebo said:

Marlena Webster? Why? 

27 minutes ago, Seadhna said:

I'll second the Emissary: he's an absolute beast in most crews and most scheme pools (gg17 experience) and really does a lot for me every game, despite what certain NA tournament players might be telling.

I would not recommend Hans and Trapper: they force you into a passive playstyle that goes well against the spirit of Malifaux.

Also, Parker basically requires Marlena Webster to function, so grab her as soon as she's released

I've had a couple dozen games with Parker. He's extremely tanky with all the soulstones, wounds and healing, but tends to very easily die to a random Red Joker on damage. Now, Marlena prevents that, plus there's a good flexible 8 ss slot in most Outcast crews that is usually filled with Sue or Scion and that she can take now.

On 14/01/2018 at 8:38 AM, psychogeek said:

so a fun combo with the new upgrade is put "Dead Man Walking" on a model that will act in range of hans. hans doesnt randomize so if they get into combat he can still shoot them

I got some reasonable mileage out of that trick, but using McTavish since he also ignores cover. I will still try it again, but with him going up to 11SS before Merc tax, and Hans going down a point I am not sure it's so good anymore... Not that it was good before, but I think it's less good than it was now...