Unconscious Fated Characters

RebeccaJo

Hello friends!

I am a long time Malifaux player and a huge RP fan. Sadly, I haven't played TtB since 1.0 kickstarter release. With the 2nd edition and finally having a job that allows me to play games again, my gaming group has decided to pick back up in TtB and get playing again.

As I was reading through the core book, I did have some questions. Sorry in advance if these stupid questions; this feels like learning a brand new system again as it's been years since I've played last.

My biggest question is Unconscious and how that effects the players. I know that once they hit 0 and below, they do critical effects and unconscious TN duels. From how I understand it, is once they reach that point, they do the critical effect flip then the unconscious flip. Is that correct [doing critical first then the duel]? Also, I know that when a player goes unconscious, they need to be healed up to at least 1 wd to regain consciousness. If no one if the party is adept at healing or has a way to heal, how do you hand that situation? I saw that anyone can take a (1) action out of dramatic time to kill an unconscious character [fated or otherwise], but how do you handle it when all the "baddies" are gone or fleeing and some of the fated are still unconscious?

Thanks in advance! <3

34 minutes ago, RebeccaJo said:

As I was reading through the core book, I did have some questions. Sorry in advance if these stupid questions; this feels like learning a brand new system again as it's been years since I've played last.

The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask!  Also, any questions dealing with Sasquatches and cosmic eggs. Those are stupid as well.

34 minutes ago, RebeccaJo said:

My biggest question is Unconscious and how that effects the players. I know that once they hit 0 and below, they do critical effects and unconscious TN duels. From how I understand it, is once they reach that point, they do the critical effect flip then the unconscious flip. Is that correct [doing critical first then the duel]?

It's not clear in the rules, so I will make sure to clarify that in the next FAQ.

It should be Critical Effects and then Unconsciousness Challenges, as that makes the most sense from a narrative viewpoint (i.e., "you suffer damage, and this is how it plays out. Do you manage to stay conscious?").

45 minutes ago, RebeccaJo said:

Also, I know that when a player goes unconscious, they need to be healed up to at least 1 wd to regain consciousness. If no one if the party is adept at healing or has a way to heal, how do you hand that situation? I saw that anyone can take a (1) action out of dramatic time to kill an unconscious character [fated or otherwise], but how do you handle it when all the "baddies" are gone or fleeing and some of the fated are still unconscious?

The character is probably unconscious for awhile, then. If they're Living, they've got natural healing that will eventually pull them above the threshold and let them regain consciousness. If they're a Construct or Undead, then the other Fated might have to look into some independent Artefacting or Stitching to get their companions up and moving again.

• Like 1