Guild Guards lesser used abilities.

4thstringer

So I have been thinking about guild guard.  The bar is low for effectiveness of a 4 pt model, yet these guys are consistently considered one of the worst.  So I started thinking about their abilities that get less use on their card to see if I could make them worthwhile.

1. Menace- Is there a tn which would make this ability worth remembering that is exists?  Maybe with a card eating crew?

2. Investigate- A pretty lame ability that only got worse when markers started getting picked up between turns more often, but against someone like colette, maybe it could become useful?

3. Halt- Is there a trigger that is less often used or remembered?

53 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

So I have been thinking about guild guard.  The bar is low for effectiveness of a 4 pt model, yet these guys are consistently considered one of the worst.  So I started thinking about their abilities that get less use on their card to see if I could make them worthwhile.

1. Menace- Is there a tn which would make this ability worth remembering that is exists?  Maybe with a card eating crew?

2. Investigate- A pretty lame ability that only got worse when markers started getting picked up between turns more often, but against someone like colette, maybe it could become useful?

3. Halt- Is there a trigger that is less often used or remembered?

I have got the hardest soft spot for these little guys. regularly take a pair of them in my Nellie list. Used them in every game I played in nationals and they performed well in every game to varying degrees.

Agree with your point above about menace but I find investigation very helpful as an extra 5 inches always comes in handy.  Halt is very situational but when it works it really works, had a situation where my opponent had to choose between discarding a card to let his beatstick charge/walk or keeping the 2 cards to survive a executioners decapitate.

If menace didn't require a 7 ram it would be totally worth doing. I can't imagine when I would feel I wanted to cheat a high ram for a push on a 4ss model and a horror duel that almost any model in the game will succeed unless it black jokers.

Halt in conjunction with an austringer that can now make people automatically discard could finally start to look interesting. The problem is still that you are counting on your first activation being a sh 4 that hits whatever scary thing because you know they will be activating whatever you want to put halt on quite early. That also means for it to have any real effect you need to also chain into the austringer. If other factions actually used walks on their scheme runners it might start to hurt them but most scheme runners are df 6 and have leap so they drop, leap, drop and the trigger did nothing if you even hit that df 6 model. If you're up against another guildie you might have shot to cause annoyance with it. The sh 4 though... Why are they worse shots than their dead colleagues?! :( 

They're decently sturdy though, if you could lure something that already went in Ply for information I think you could use them to get a lot of conditions and they might survive to let you score. 

19 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

If menace didn't require a 7 ram it would be totally worth doing. I can't imagine when I would feel I wanted to cheat a high ram for a push on a 4ss model and a horror duel that almost any model in the game will succeed unless it black jokers.

Halt in conjunction with an austringer that can now make people automatically discard could finally start to look interesting. The problem is still that you are counting on your first activation being a sh 4 that hits whatever scary thing because you know they will be activating whatever you want to put halt on quite early. That also means for it to have any real effect you need to also chain into the austringer. If other factions actually used walks on their scheme runners it might start to hurt them but most scheme runners are df 6 and have leap so they drop, leap, drop and the trigger did nothing if you even hit that df 6 model. If you're up against another guildie you might have shot to cause annoyance with it. The sh 4 though... Why are they worse shots than their dead colleagues?! :( 

They're decently sturdy though, if you could lure something that already went in Ply for information I think you could use them to get a lot of conditions and they might survive to let you score. 

Have you tried my 5 gg list (clumped around a scribe and dade) yet?  Rest of list is Lucius and 2 thralls.

21 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

Have you tried my 5 gg list (clumped around a scribe and dade) yet?  Rest of list is Lucius and 2 thralls.

Don't have enough guild guard, Dade or two thralls. I did just get two more guild guard so I do have that covered and can proxy Dade and swap the last thrall for something. 

I use the metal governors proxy for mine. It has proxy in the name and is holding a pen and parchment. ;)

Both "Twisted: a steampunk game" and Volsung have butler models intheir line. Don't think anyone would give you trouble over such a proxy on account of totems being imposible to find these days.

Same as @Ludvig, I use metal governor's proxy with a metal Lucius as a scribe. It's Gaining Grounds illegal and confusing, breaking our local guideline that a proxy model should match general size and station but be illegal to field with that faction (or a master's sculpt--we had Pandoragangers during the great mimic shortage of '16), but it looks so right...

Easy make a conversion and it becomes legal - get some green stuff and give him a tricorn.

Really looking forwards to getting round to focused guild Lucius play, guards with Dashel and mounted guard, just need to get all my neverborn competitive before I can spend the time I want on my redcoat lists.

The problem with these guys has always been that on paper they have some great abilities but when you need to meet those tn's or actually apply them in game they don't come through, maybe in a list with hounds etc you can burn out cards and activation to make them do their job, at least that might make it feel a little more like a raid or military exercise.

Possibly an association with someone cowed into submission.

The almost hunched over sniveling sidekick feel.

Usually portrayed as devious and cowardly with a sadistic streak.

The other stereo type would have been a lumbering dimwit but he lacks the stereotypical tank and bash abilities.

I prefer the idea of the scribe as a rather over dressed Basil Faulty. .."Do you have an appointment!?" ...rather than Manuel.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Stonewall78 said:

My tired brain read that as two lists lol. I have been wanting to try 2 thralls, 2 austrings and scribe (which I need an idea to proxy one, have metal lucius). I guess Dade and some guard would fit in there. Maybe a Sergent to kick markers around.

I use the Puppet War Lucius as the scribe myself

8 hours ago, Myyrä said:

How will people know you are not actually playing Governor's Proxy?

You forgot the laughing smiley with that joke. :D 

I wrote Scribe on the base to make sure but since the new proxy is twice the size and looks like a suicide bomber while the old one was actually scribbling something down I'm not sure anyone who didn't use it in m1e would even consider thst it could be the proxy.

14 hours ago, EnternalVoid said:

I use the Puppet War Lucius as the scribe myself

That looks awesome but would likely be a paint to find. What do you think about this guy?
https://hexy-shop.com/shop/fantasy-miniatures/archibald-the-scholar/

Also is Poland completely cast out of resin? It seems like all the great hobby casing companies are in Poland.

18 hours ago, Stonewall78 said:

That looks awesome but would likely be a paint to find. What do you think about this guy?
https://hexy-shop.com/shop/fantasy-miniatures/archibald-the-scholar/

Also is Poland completely cast out of resin? It seems like all the great hobby casing companies are in Poland.

Yes. We scrape it off trees :P

@Myyrä nobody knows how Governor`s Proxy looks and what rules he has so its hard to get anyone confused :D

• Like 2