The lone marshall

Regelridderen

It isn't spectacular for the ss cost (very hard to compete with Francisco, Phiona and the Jury) but the model costs the same amount of cash as a crew box. If the model was cheaper I would own it because it's cool as hell. If the model was so good it trumped Phiona and Francisco I would own it because I like winning games. It's just in a bad spot. If you are on a budget and need to choose the Jury + something or the Lone marshal as your purchase for guild that year the choice is easy.

Its has a pretty weird set of rules. 

It has bulleproof which isn`t spectacular against most armies.

It has terrifying undead which you can reliably count on in 1 faction

It has a mediocre shooting attack (12" 2/3/5 with no special rules isn`t special)

It costs the same as most Henchmen and is a lot worse than them.

The moderate is actually also really annoying. It will usually do the focused ride by so if it ad 2/4/5 it could actually oneshot a lot of scheme runner by only cheating a 6 or 7 on the damage flip. For an 8ss model I expect it to reliably kill a 4ss model with two ap invested and not need to cheat a severe on that damage.

• Like 1

I used him in my last game with lady j versus ressers and he actually performed pretty great.

It was flank deployment and the lone marshal move up on one flank and shot into the middle, while contesting an entire quarter for potential claim jump. He can just push shoot and then push into engagement with a scheme runner or close to a marker. That makes his 2ap very efficient. I also wouldn't count its shot, sh6 2/3/5 with focus isn't bad, but indeed, if moderate would be 4 it would be a lot nastier, nevertheless you have + on attack and crit strike, so when you're hitting crit for 3/4/6 that's a nice shot, unreliable but it will come up or at least make the enemy cheat more if you flip a mediocre ram. My last game he was able to hit something every turn, and he pinged 3 damage on mcmourning, 5 on a nurse with a severe, and 2 on a guild autopsy, then I needed him for scoring vp. 

I agree that there is a lot of competition from other models, but i think to really apreciate him you need to take his mobility into account.

And again, even if he was better, he's priced pretty high, I bought him cause i absolutely love the model as well as the guild marshal theme so I'm a bit biased here. I think that guild has better options for his cost, what he brings to the table though is his mobility, I really like the mechanic of still contributing with your 12" shot and remaining mobile to engage stuff or deny scheme markers. You can push out of engagement anyways next turn.

Do you guys think the lone marshal will have more table time in the upcoming GG2018?

I as a relatively new player have not yet tested GG2018 nor the lone marshal himself. However I think he may be good at "Symbol of Authority". His decent speed and durability allow him, as his name suggested, to frank alone. At the same time he can still shoot to the middle field to fire support the crew. Also the long distance walk/push and large base size can help with "Hold Up Their Force" as well.

2 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Haha! When even 4thstringer can't find an angle for the model you know it is bad! :D

A lot a month ago I spent a lot of time thinking about it and the exorcist, partially because i struggle against summons and figured anti resser Models would help.   I came to the conclusion that they are both absolutely worthless. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rufess said:

Do you guys think the lone marshal will have more table time in the upcoming GG2018?

I as a relatively new player have not yet tested GG2018 nor the lone marshal himself. However I think he may be good at "Symbol of Authority". His decent speed and durability allow him, as his name suggested, to frank alone. At the same time he can still shoot to the middle field to fire support the crew. Also the long distance walk/push and large base size can help with "Hold Up Their Force" as well.

I'd take grimwell over him every time,  And I don't even like grimwell.

• Like 1