Lucius - advice for tournament

Figgydor

15 minutes ago, Figgydor said:

what are your thoughts on the emissary? his upgrade seems nice, but I didn't get the impression people take him often with lucius

Can't really afford a low damage finesse model when your crew already gravitates towards that. The sad truth is that you often need to kill to stay ahead, control is never efficient enough. You will also often want your big models to get the buff and ap from Lucius so there's an anti-synergy with Lucius. I've done silly things in non-Lucius lists where I used the bury from the emissary to place their crutch model in a corner near one of my scheme markers and taking it out for a large part of the game. Not sure where to fit it with Lucius to be honest, I want at least three minions of high quality to use his ap on and I need to not be out-activated to badly so I need a few cheap ones and then there isn't much room left for a 10ss model.

• Like 1

I'm really looking forward to taking Vogel in a list with the jury. Guaranteed trigger on fancy cane and laws of nature seems really good. 

Also the pathfinder is disgusting with the jury near him. Suddenly you can have blasts that ignore armour and htw. 

I know you need to pitch a card to get the trigger, but I think it's worth it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Ok, one thing I have learned from my limited tournament experience, is to play squatters you need a specific plan for squatters.    Even if you can hold your ground, so many lists not can get several squat markers down turn 1.  If you get to far behind early, you often cannot make that up, so it is like spotting your opponent 4 pts.   EDIT:  Don't listen to me. I'm a moron, see below.

Ignoring the confusion of which strat you are talking about,  It is typically a good idea to have a Stake a claim plan, but I also see that a lot of the time peopel with the plan, don't always allow for plan disruption.  If they have 2 or more cliam markers within 12 of each other, feel free to drop a marker on your own side to remove multiple of theirs. It is a really good way to start takign control back from most of the run away claim dropping lists (I know that it is something I try to plan around when I suffer multiple claim marklers from the same model over a range of turns. 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2017 at 3:28 PM, Figgydor said:

what are your thoughts on the emissary? his upgrade seems nice, but I didn't get the impression people take him often with lucius

I tried that also. Lucius (with Tannen nearby) used his new attack and it dealt plenty of damage—but Lucius’ strength is in multiplying AP, and when he’s backstabbing he isn’t multiplying AP, and in giving out passive buffs which the emissary can’t profit from. At least when Hoffman sparks his torch and decides to melee something himself, his emissary is still drawing and giving passive benefits.

The one positive benefit of Lucius to the emissary was his crew naturally generating so many dispersed scheme markers that I could bury my opponent’s models and he couldn’t control every possible unburial site. I unburied a melee model of low station back on my deployment line, where it was useless. I unburied my Set Up target into a pre-seeded nest of scheme markers.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2017 at 5:56 PM, Gnomezilla said:

but Lucius’ strength is in multiplying AP, and when he’s backstabbing he isn’t multiplying AP

a friend pointed this out the other day. it's a completely different style of play and I'm just tempted to put a huge model on the table and have my opponent try and get rid of him.

On 12/17/2017 at 12:13 PM, Freman said:

Thralls are pretty terrific with Lucius.

It's almost like they were designed to specifically benefit from him.

yes! took two last week, and even though I lost one round 2, the other one kept healing himself and was one of my last models in play.

• Like 1

just to get back OT a bit - I managed to finish 3rd in the tournament :) there was some luck (like a draw against the Viktorias), but overall, I'm really pleased with Lucius, I just loove the multiplying AP. I took Lucius (Deep pockets, surprisingly loyal, legalese) , the Scribe, Dashel (with Arrest him), one thrall, executioner, Master Queeg, terracotta warrior and austringer. 

• Like 3

There are a few more end of game schemes like search the ruins now but in my experience the opponent either doesn't take one of those or makes damn sure Lucius is dead before the end of the game. He really isn't hard to take out if you need to. Before he actually got some worthwhile upgrades I tried legalese and plant evidence on him to push, place and deny markers at the end of the game. Never panned out though.

2 hours ago, Ludvig said:

There are a few more end of game schemes like search the ruins now but in my experience the opponent either doesn't take one of those or makes damn sure Lucius is dead before the end of the game. He really isn't hard to take out if you need to. Before he actually got some worthwhile upgrades I tried legalese and plant evidence on him to push, place and deny markers at the end of the game. Never panned out though.

I dunno, in my experience, if you make Lucius a must kill your other models all the sudden have a lot of time to get stuff done.

That being said, I have a hard time making legalese worth it.  Especially in a list like that that the TC can switch your surprisingly loyal for it if you want.

I will still give Legalese a try - Loop holes can be useful at times, depending on opposing crew.

I tried Secret assets last week just to see how it would fit, and it was fun :D it's debatable whether it's worth taking, being circumstantial, but there were situations when it came in handy (the lack of randomization really helps when trying to finish off a model already engaged with your own)

Have you faced guild with Lucius?

Something with debt and promises so like 5 or 6 min and positives to attack charge at you and he doesn't last very long.

I don't discard for negatives that often because most people know to bring plus flips in some shape or form but when I do it tends to draw out jokers. :)

20 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Something with debt and promises so like 5 or 6 min and positives to attack charge at you and he doesn't last very long.

I don't discard for negatives that often because most people know to bring plus flips in some shape or form but when I do it tends to draw out jokers. :)

Haven't yet, but might soon, although my opponent plays Lady J and Sonnia. I DREAD the Judge

44 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Trading a low card for a soulstone is delicious though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Is Judge worse than the others? Francisco has ml 7 so even if you keep the scribe nearby he can tie you on the duel.

My crews typically son't laat long vs Sonnia which gives the rest of her list plenty of time to hunt Lucius.

Admittedly, I am the only Guild player in my meta anymore, so I haven't played against Sonnia in years.

8 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Is Judge worse than the others? Francisco has ml 7 so even if you keep the scribe nearby he can tie you on the duel.

I've seen him do really nasty stuff with executioners and the likes. One thing I've got  going for me is that my opponent hasn't played Francisco at all, so when he does, I just might scrape by with some beginner's luck.

30 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

Trading a low card for a soulstone is delicious though.

True, if people don't bring natural positives it is a really worthwhile ability a lot of the time. 

About half my active play group is currently made up of guild, two players bring Sonnia quite frequently and I've had several Lucius mirror matches which is extremely fitting compared to most other mirror matches. ;)