New Tara player trying to figure out the beast bomb

Shock & Awe

I'm looking for a little help from my fellow Wyrd-os. 

I just bought Tara from the Black Friday sale and I've been looking into all of her stuff (Pull My Finger, Schemes & Stones, etc.) and I keep hearing about the dreaded "Beast Bomb", which I understand in principle, but would love it if someone could give me a T1 rundown of how this is meant to actually work. 

The list I've got built for her right now looks like this (and comments on this would be nice as well)

Tara - 7 stone cache (will likely go down when I decide on upgrades for NB, Scion, and Talos - I'm tempted to give them all Oath Keeper)

(Emptiness, Obliteration Symbiote, Out of Time) 

The Nothing Beast (Void Shield, *Open Slot)

Scion of the Void (*Open Slot x2)

Talos (*Open slot)

Death Marshal

Void Wretch

Void Wretch

Void Wretch

I want to focus on using the NB as the bomb for now until I see what he can and can't do.  I've heard Killjoy and Bete are also good bombs because they can start buried and do wicked damage. I've also got Bishop, who I've heard is good for bombing. What other models work well with Tara as possible bombs to drop on people?

Having written the word 'bomb' this many times now I feel like the FBI will be at my house tonight. 

Thanks for any and all advice! 

You do not need Death Marshal if not doing double beast bomb. And you really want knowledge of eternity on Tara - you can bury with it giving fast to NB, and :+fate on initiative is important, because losing it leaves you with 3 Df NB and 2 Df Void Wretches. You do want to go first to dump some cards or rebury NB.

Almost any model can be used as a bomb. Ideally you are looking for something that hits hard to count as a "bomb". (a few models can't be buried, but look at the models for this)

The easiest approach is take the upgrade that gives you an attack to do 1 damage and eitehr fast or slow on a model with Glimpse as a trigger (knowledge of eternity). And the unburying upgrade (obliteration symbiote)

Activate Tara, give her eternal, attack the "bomb" giving it fast and then cheat to fail the glimpse. then move somewhere safe. Do the rest of your crew, then  get reactivate on Tara, move to a good place and unbury the bomb, ready to activate. 

Use of death marshals allows you to have more than 1 model buried to unleash multiple "bombs". (other options exist, but death marshals are cheapest, and it works best if you can drop the bomb in a place where they can't react with much because they have activated)

Scion also allows you to pop your beater out with almost any model you take, not just Tara, so your opponent isn't always able to cover every avenue. Nothing Beast gets the most out of this because it's got a huge charge with a 3" melee and 4 swings thanks to Ml expert. I've seen strong arm suit and Bishop but I like NB best

4 hours ago, Mrbedlam said:

Scion also allows you to pop your beater out with almost any model you take, not just Tara, so your opponent isn't always able to cover every avenue. Nothing Beast gets the most out of this because it's got a huge charge with a 3" melee and 4 swings thanks to Ml expert. I've seen strong arm suit and Bishop but I like NB best

Scion of the Void can only unbury minions or henchmen, so although Strongarm and Bishop are reasonable bombs (Bishop more so, I'd say...) they can't be delviered using the Scion as a vector.

1 hour ago, apes-ma said:

Scion of the Void can only unbury minions or henchmen, so although Strongarm and Bishop are reasonable bombs (Bishop more so, I'd say...) they can't be delviered using the Scion as a vector.

Yeah. sorry was 2 seperate thoughts in one post. Indeed Scion can't get suit or bishop. However I've seen him drop out NB plenty of times. 

You get the most mileage out of NB if it DOES NOT charge. try to get tara during her second activation within 5" of the model you want dead. This way, if NB unburies in basecontact (big base) and 3" range it can directly attack.

NB deals much more damage if it hits with 2 focus-hits instead of 4 unfocus hits.

On 12/13/2017 at 5:13 PM, Raimu said:

You do not need Death Marshal if not doing double beast bomb. And you really want knowledge of eternity on Tara - you can bury with it giving fast to NB, and :+fate on initiative is important, because losing it leaves you with 3 Df NB and 2 Df Void Wretches. You do want to go first to dump some cards or rebury NB.

Ok, so if I'm going with double beast bomb, I use the DM and possibly replace Talos with Bishop (or some other beater). 

If I go with single beast bomb, drop the DM, add another wretch, and put Knowledge of Eternity on Tara? 

On 12/13/2017 at 6:52 PM, Adran said:

Almost any model can be used as a bomb. Ideally you are looking for something that hits hard to count as a "bomb". (a few models can't be buried, but look at the models for this)

The easiest approach is take the upgrade that gives you an attack to do 1 damage and eitehr fast or slow on a model with Glimpse as a trigger (knowledge of eternity). And the unburying upgrade (obliteration symbiote)

Activate Tara, give her eternal, attack the "bomb" giving it fast and then cheat to fail the glimpse. then move somewhere safe. Do the rest of your crew, then  get reactivate on Tara, move to a good place and unbury the bomb, ready to activate. 

Use of death marshals allows you to have more than 1 model buried to unleash multiple "bombs". (other options exist, but death marshals are cheapest, and it works best if you can drop the bomb in a place where they can't react with much because they have activated)

Got it. Coming from Guild I'm used to using DM's, so I felt more comfortable throwing the DM in there because it'll be a model I don't have to think too hard about what it's doing (that, and I'm used to using it to bury a friendly T1).  

I'm set with NB and Bishop as my bombs for now, but I also have Miss Deed.  But I bough Scion with Tara and I got Talos during Gen Con, so I have to figure out how to mix and match this combo of models. 

I guess I could use Talos as a bomb too, but he'd mainly be aiming to bury something else when he popped out.  I'll have to think this out.

On 12/13/2017 at 9:23 PM, Mrbedlam said:

This requires you to bury Scion though, correct? So Tara buries it and other models are taking her zero, is that the idea? But then Tara has to pop her out before the end of the turn or she's gone, right? And there'd need to be some healing from the VW on Scion if others are taking her zero as well. 

Sorry if this seems basic, but I'm asking to make sure I have it correct.

8 hours ago, DXXXVIII said:

You get the most mileage out of NB if it DOES NOT charge. try to get tara during her second activation within 5" of the model you want dead. This way, if NB unburies in basecontact (big base) and 3" range it can directly attack.

NB deals much more damage if it hits with 2 focus-hits instead of 4 unfocus hits.

I've gotten the feeling this seems like the best bet, aiming for at least moderate damage twice for 10, rather than weak four times for 8. Hopefully one can land at least one severe too, which could make it 12, or 14 if we're living the dream. 

However, I'm thinking that at the end of turn 1 the focus attack bit def better, but if you start him cranking at the beginning of turn two, could it not work as a card drain to take 4 attacks and keep declaring the bury trigger? Although, saying this I assume the yo-yo idea is what most people aim for (pop NB out, use the + to initiative to (hopefully) go first, and put him back in the box to pop out again later). 

My usual list for the beast bomb is Tara with obliteration symbiote and knowledge of eternity, NB with void shield, and sue. The rest depends on schemes and strats. First activation is Tara using Eternal Moment, pinging the nothing beast with knowledge of eternity and burying it, cheating a low card if needed to fail the will power duel, then walking forward twice. Last activation is Tara again, walking towards her target then hopefully pulling NB up in a hard targets face. Chain activate into NB where you focus swing/focus swing because at that point he has 4 AP between casting expert and fast from Knowledge of eternity. Things usually die after that

2 hours ago, Shock & Awe said:

Ok, so if I'm going with double beast bomb, I use the DM and possibly replace Talos with Bishop (or some other beater). 

If I go with single beast bomb, drop the DM, add another wretch, and put Knowledge of Eternity on Tara? 

You take Knowledge of Eternity every time, it's the best Tara's upgrade. 

The bury trigger is a trap. It's a card drain to inexperienced players. But a good player will often cheat down to get buried if NB declares the trigger. This way he can mitigeate the damage NB does. if it charged and  hit you for 2  at the first attack abd buried you and now idles with 3 AP of attacks it didnt get off.

At worst NB is now unengaged and  all the nice shooting of his crew doesn't randomise anymore.

it also blocks taras bury pipe. Remind yourself that she cant bury her stuff if sth is allready buried. So no way to save NB if needed.

5 hours ago, Shock & Awe said:

I've gotten the feeling this seems like the best bet, aiming for at least moderate damage twice for 10, rather than weak four times for 8. Hopefully one can land at least one severe too, which could make it 12, or 14 if we're living the dream. 

However, I'm thinking that at the end of turn 1 the focus attack bit def better, but if you start him cranking at the beginning of turn two, could it not work as a card drain to take 4 attacks and keep declaring the bury trigger? Although, saying this I assume the yo-yo idea is what most people aim for (pop NB out, use the + to initiative to (hopefully) go first, and put him back in the box to pop out again later). 

Some of it depends on your hand, and your opponents hand, (as well as what you are attacking) but  if 2 moderates beats 4 weaks then focus is probably a very good option. If you have to charge, I would probably charge, then focus for the 3rd attack, and hope that you've been able to keep a severe if thats whats needed for the kill. (or pop out near something that is killable in one hit then be able to charge else where)

I'm not saying the yoyo isn't right sometimes, but a lot of the purpose of the bomb is that you are surgically removing models that were "safe". Once the "bomb" is already in their back field there is much less advantage in burying for another unbury. (Situations like protecting your "bomb" or threatening something else that is a long way away will make it a consideration). There is also a lot more action on turn 2, so whilst you can save you'r good cards to make the most out of the bomb (cheating in severe damage is often fun) on turn 1, you are much more likely to have more need for that sever elsewhere in turn 2. 

And if I have something near the nothing beast , I'm possibly going to let him bury to remove the glimpse trigger threat from otehr stuff, and help keep it alive rather than waste my hand on keeping it unburied. I just expect to kill something in the turn to unbury it myself...

4 hours ago, DXXXVIII said:

The bury trigger is a trap. It's a card drain to inexperienced players. But a good player will often cheat down to get buried if NB declares the trigger. This way he can mitigeate the damage NB does. if it charged and  hit you for 2  at the first attack abd buried you and now idles with 3 AP of attacks it didnt get off.

At worst NB is now unengaged and  all the nice shooting of his crew doesn't randomise anymore.

it also blocks taras bury pipe. Remind yourself that she cant bury her stuff if sth is allready buried. So no way to save NB if needed.

Throwing NB on isolated target is a waste tbh. If you manage to kill it - you are left unengaged the same, if you fail - you spent 4 AP of beater for not killing, which is shame. NB is more of tarpit, especially vs melee models. Throw it in crowd, make 2-3 attacks, maybe bury something, go defensive, use Void. After that stone for damage, strike back with Voided trigger, bury if possible, Void shield for emergency. Rinse and repeat. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raimu said:

Throwing NB on isolated target is a waste tbh. If you manage to kill it - you are left unengaged the same, if you fail - you spent 4 AP of beater for not killing, which is shame. NB is more of tarpit, especially vs melee models. Throw it in crowd, make 2-3 attacks, maybe bury something, go defensive, use Void. After that stone for damage, strike back with Voided trigger, bury if possible, Void shield for emergency. Rinse and repeat. 

I'd never hesitate to throw NB at Nekima or Howard to kill them first. even if they are isolated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2017 at 2:07 AM, DXXXVIII said:

Except now with her new upgrade your buried model is getting swarmed by Void wretches who are running all across the board .

Talos also punishes this 

As far as leaving him in the open Tara is chucking cards to reduce Damage and the Beast can now stone as well and against some big damage or can just drop his shield. Making it harder to take out. It takes a lot of AP to take out the Nothing Beast. Add in any potential Slowing and that puts you at a big AP disadvantage