A question about Kaeris, Vasquez, Gamins and Eternal Flame

Gen

I'll try to explain the situation at my best hoping it will be clear enough to get help understanding it. During today's game, I had Kaeris, Carlos Vasquez, Eternal Flame and some fire gamin pretty close together. Kaeris had the "Puryfing Fire" upgrade, which says that "Friendly Models within :aura6 do not suffer damage from Burning Condition. Instead, they heal that amount of damage. Models which are Immune to burning or otherwise reduce the damage to 0 may not heal in this way", Vasquez had his "Stunt Double" upgrade, which gives him the same effect as before if you discard a card, Fire gamins reduce damage from burning to 0 thanks to their "Saracenar's Plight" ability and Eternal Flame's "Combustible Mixture" ability says "Models in :aura6 lose all immunity to the Burning Condition".

The way we agreed to play was that Eternal Flame's ability affected only Fire Gamins, and in this way they could benefit from Kaeris healing because they could no more reduce to 0 damage from burning, but not Kaeris and Vasquez because they were not immune, but instead converted those damage into healing. Is this correct?

My opponent played Shenlong, which is immune to conditions' damage thanks to his "flow like water" ability. While inside Eternal Flame's aura, he loses this immunity, is it correct?

Thanks for your precious help and sorry for the long post

• Like 1

"Immunity" is one of those ill defined words that mean different things to different people. So in the past I've been using it remove the burning immunity from fire gamin and allow healing. However I've since stopped because RAW the ability seems to work otherwise. 

Models which can gain the condition but are not affected by the damage (such as fire gamin and shenlong) are not affected by "combustible mixture". Since it says they are not technically "immune" to gaining the condition - just the damage. 

It doesn't really apply to Carlos since he has nothing that prevents him gaining burning condition - he just heals if you have his upgrade and a card. 

• Like 2

I think it is key in the statement under Kaeris Models which are Immune to burning or otherwise reduce the damage to 0 may not heal in this way

and then the Eternal Flame lose all immunity to the Burning Condition

So....

Friendly models do not suffer damage but instead heal; this is not an immunity the condition still has an effect but the nature of the effect is different (so Kaeris and Carlos abilities ar unaffected)

For the Fire Gamin this is exactly the same, it is not an immunity, they simply take 0 damage from the Burning condition which they can have.  The Purifying upgrade clarifies this difference with the words "Models... Immune to Burning OR otherwise reduce damage to 0 (so Fire Gamin are not immune they reduce damage)

Immune to the condition is a specific thing, it means you cannot get that condition.

So another example is Lucius (in Guild) has an ability which makes a model take a horror duel and if the pass perform an action.  Witchling Thralls have an ability where they always pass horror duels, so you still flip, they still take the duel but they will pass.  However, the Guardian is immune to horror duels, it cannot benefit from the Lucius ability because it cannot take horror duels.  In the same way Frozen Heart models are immune to horror and paralyze, they simply cannot gain the condition.

• Like 1